Invention Convention

Slaves

Invention Convention

Slaves are a two piece punk rock band from Kent, England formed in 2012. The duo consists of Isaac Holman who plays drums and lead vocals and Laurie Vincent who plays guitar and is a backing vocalist. The duo released their first album "Are You Satisfied?" on June 1st, 2015. 

They first gained media attention when they covered UK Grime artist Skepta's song "Shutdown" on BBC Radio 1's live lounge. 

• Like 3

ghesboro

They've been playing this one and "Cheer up London" a lot on Mtv Rocks lately. I dig them, gotta give their first LP a listen tomorrow! 

Edited by Squidhard
  • Like 1

stuck-with-she

Finally there's a forum for these guys! 

Edited by stuck-with-she
  • Like 1

belinda jane

:o are there TWO bands named Slaves?
cause i swear Jonny Craig is in a band named Slaves.
https://www.facebook.com/officialslaves

Sean Walford

I've seen them twice live, once supporting Jamie T and more recently on an NME awards tour. (Kinda a similar but much smaller setup to the Warped tour over here in the UK) 

TThey're great fun live. But I'm still not convinced by their records. Its just a but to shouty for me that it starts to creep into screamo/weird category of music for me that gets you lots of funny looks when out driving with their music playing. 

The live shows I guess are a bit toned down obviously due to not having all the effects of a studio etc and to me it's more enjoyable. 

Don't get me wrong though Cheer Up London, The Hunter, It's an epidemic and Hey are all really great songs though! 

A lot of people over here on forums etc though think they'll be short lived which is quite interesting. We have Royal Blood, Drenge and Slaves all as 2 piece bands making movements over here on TV and major radio stations unlike tons of other similar acts in their category. But the novelty at least of Royal Blood and Drenge to me has died off very quickly. Wouldn't be surprised myself either if Slaves suffer the same effect. 

Invention Convention

But I'm still not convinced by their records. Its just a but to shouty for me that it starts to creep into screamo/weird category of music for me that gets you lots of funny looks when out driving with their music playing. 

Jesus 

Sean Walford

Jesus 

Probably the wrong way to describe it to be fair. However I did type it with killer stomache ache at like 3AM. But I just more mean I can't take their music seriously really. I'm not sure if I'm meant to either though. 

• Like 1

Invention Convention

I get that.

Joe.

They're really good and I recommend people check them out, they remind me of the Sex Pistols (at risk of getting shat on)

The above comment about novelty is interesting, I think the love is starting to fade for Royal Blood, think for both bands if the next album is bad, that'll be it

Invention Convention

I'm really not enjoying the singles from the new album. I think People That You Meet is cool, but not sure I'd ever put it on for pleasure... thats really it! 

Joe.
7 hours ago, Invention Convention said:

I'm really not enjoying the singles from the new album. I think People That You Meet is cool, but not sure I'd ever put it on for pleasure... thats really it! 

Yeah I've been disappointed, I like spit it out and people that you meet but take control and consume have been meh

Joe.

Take Control is out today, it's pretty good

Clockwise

Yeah, the new album is rad! Love these guys.

Joe.
8 hours ago, Clockwise said:

Yeah, the new album is rad! Love these guys.

How Rich Man wasn't a single I'll never know 

• Like 1

DeJennsitized

I'm bumping this because I'm so hyped for the new album - out on the 17th August and it's called Acts of Fear and Love. Only nine tracks on it though :( 

Cut and Run is such a good tune. I really really hope they come to Belfast if they do a full UK tour - they've got a few England dates for a few weeks time already.

• Like 1

Second favourite son

I wasn’t a huge fan of Take Control (after loving Are You Satisfied), so I didn’t even bother checking out ‘Cut and Run’ until I heard it by chance on Kerrang TV - and I’m so glad I did.  What a tune!  I’m looking forward to hearing the rest of the new album now!

• Like 1

DeJennsitized
2 minutes ago, Second favourite son said:

I wasn’t a huge fan of Take Control (after loving Are You Satisfied), so I didn’t even bother checking out ‘Cut and Run’ until I heard it by chance on Kerrang TV - and I’m so glad I did.  What a tune!  I’m looking forward to hearing the rest of the new album now!

I'm the same. I've only got a few songs from Take Control, I wasn't a fan of the guitar sound they went for. As for Cut and Run, they happened to tweet the link to the video just as I was scrolling through my feed :P I'm even more excited about the album after reading this interview with them. They're using the Are You Satisfied producer again :D 

• Like 1

Joe.

Slaves are one of my favourite bands, they opened for Foo Fighters and the new songs are sounding very tight, excited to hear the rest of the album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5excjm-w0yU

• Like 1

Joe.

Photo Opportunity is the best song they’ve put out since Cheer Up London imo, it shows clear evolution whilst still having the qualities that made me first love Slaves :wub:

I’ll put a link in once it’s on YouTube

• Like 1

DeJennsitized
52 minutes ago, Joe. said:

Photo Opportunity is the best song they’ve put out since Cheer Up London imo, it shows clear evolution whilst still having the qualities that made me first love Slaves :wub:

I’ll put a link in once it’s on YouTube

Holy shit, I know. I've had it on repeat since they put it on itunes. :wub: it gave me chills.

Also, UK tour!! And they're coming to Belfast! :D 

Joe.
8 hours ago, ¡Jenn! said:

Holy shit, I know. I've had it on repeat since they put it on itunes. :wub: it gave me chills.

Also, UK tour!! And they're coming to Belfast! :D 

I’ll be getting tickets for Birmingham as I should be at uni, but if I’m home I might do both Cardiff and Bristol 

DeJennsitized
4 hours ago, Joe. said:

I’ll be getting tickets for Birmingham as I should be at uni, but if I’m home I might do both Cardiff and Bristol 

Thought about Dublin but I don't think I could make it in time from Belfast. Still, they haven't been here since 2015 so I'm happy!

• Like 1

Joe.

Met Slaves at an instore acoustic event yesterday, really nice guys :wub:

DeJennsitized
2 hours ago, Joe. said:

Met Slaves at an instore acoustic event yesterday, really nice guys :wub:

Aww. 

The album is amazing. Too short though.