Is there a studio/demo version known of any of Green Day's Unreleased Songs?

Not a Salad

Like the KALX songs? I'd really like to know. Sorry if my topic seems dumb, I just gotta know if there's any unreleased songs that have demos/Studio counterparts known to exist.

Otherwise they wouldn't be unreleased :ermm:

It could easily be that a studio version of a song that was previously only known in live form had surfaced without everyone knowing about it, especially if it was just a demo, so it's a fair question.

I don't think there are any that fit that description though unfortunately, can't think of any anyway.

There are demo (Dookie demos) versions of Walking The Dog, metal instrumental (I don't know if it counts as a song, though), Gilman soundboard recording (might well be a demo, as it was a common practice for the local bands to record demos at Gilman) of You Can't Fool Me - a Sweet Children song featured on Punk Pukin' Fuckin' Shit compilation, scrapped studio version of DUI. As for KALX songs, no, there are no demos and no studio recordings of these.

scrapped studio version of DUI

Wasn't "DUI" on very early pressings of Shenanigans? I could be wrong.

No, it was on unmastered version of Shenanigans.

Never on anything that was released. I believe Tre is the one who put it best when he said that including a song that opens with, "Let's get drunk and go out driving," wasn't the most responsible thing to do.

I like how they still left it listed in the Shenanigans CD booklet with the song details/credits, just partly spray painted over :lol:

I like how they still left it listed in the Shenanigans CD booklet with the song details/credits, just partly spray painted over :lol:

same

• 2 weeks later...

For being as popular as they are Green Day has done a pretty good job at keeping their unreleased recordings from leaking. We've only gotten what, two since the Dookie demos? I am genuinely surprised that all we've gotten is DUI and that early mix of the 21CBD title track. With all the bands that record at Jingletown none of the members grabbed a CD that was left out? As far as I know there are still unreleased tracks from Dookie, Nimrod, Warning, 21CBD, and the trilogy. Plus there's the tons of stuff they recorded between Warning and AI including C&V. I think we got everything from the Insomniac and AI sessions. I heard about the band recording half of Kerplunk and then scrapping it and starting over but as far as I know the tape was wiped so those don't exist anymore. I've never heard any mention of unreleased pre-Kerplunk material. I think back then they could only afford to record the songs they wanted to be on the album.

For being as popular as they are Green Day has done a pretty good job at keeping their unreleased recordings from leaking. We've only gotten what, two since the Dookie demos? I am genuinely surprised that all we've gotten is DUI and that early mix of the 21CBD title track. With all the bands that record at Jingletown none of the members grabbed a CD that was left out? As far as I know there are still unreleased tracks from Dookie, Nimrod, Warning, 21CBD, and the trilogy. Plus there's the tons of stuff they recorded between Warning and AI including C&V. I think we got everything from the Insomniac and AI sessions. I heard about the band recording half of Kerplunk and then scrapping it and starting over but as far as I know the tape was wiped so those don't exist anymore. I've never heard any mention of unreleased pre-Kerplunk material. I think back then they could only afford to record the songs they wanted to be on the album.

professional studios are good at not leaving CDs just laying around to where non authorized people can get them 

I heard about the band recording half of Kerplunk and then scrapping it and starting over but as far as I know the tape was wiped so those don't exist anymore. I've never heard any mention of unreleased pre-Kerplunk material. I think back then they could only afford to record the songs they wanted to be on the album.

In an interview right after the release of 1000 House, Billie menitioned he had about 40 songs written. There are only about 26 pre-Kerplunk (there's little chance of these early songs making it on the record, because Mike mentioned Kerplunk songs had been written on a short notice) that we know of. So there must be plenty of unreleased material.

This may or may not be related but I heard that Having A Blast was supposedly recorded in 1991 and then forgotten and THEN brought up and recorded for Dookie.

This may or may not be related but I heard that Having A Blast was supposedly recorded in 1992 or 1993 and then forgotten and THEN brought up and recorded for Dookie.

dookie was recorded in 93 :p

dookie was recorded in 93 :P

I can't remember what year it was 1991 or 1992? I just know that there is a recording of it live in from the Silver Dollar Club gig in 1993.

I can't remember what year it was 1991 or 1992? I just know that there is a recording of it live in from the Silver Dollar Club gig in 1993.

Having a Blast was demoed in 1992. The tape has not surfaced though. 

Having a Blast was demoed in 1992. The tape has not surfaced though. 

That's what I was talking about.

• 1 year later...

There is allegedly a 1991 demo of a KALX song, World V.S. World or unreleased song 1, but people on the forum think it's a modern cover pretending to be a demo, and they're most likely right.

I can't remember what interview it's from but Mike said recently they've got tons of unreleased songs from over the years that are recorded to a high quality, and they'll probably be released at some point but who knows when.

• 1 year later...
On 7/17/2015 at 12:35 AM, Not a Salad said:

Like the KALX songs? I'd really like to know. Sorry if my topic seems dumb, I just gotta know if there's any unreleased songs that have demos/Studio counterparts known to exist.

I'm pretty late to the party :lol: but there was a demo tape from 1989. This is all the currently circulating info afaik: http://www.greendayauthority.com/tour/show/2063/

Archived