Green Day Vintage Bowling Shirt

Lee Burgess

Hey, first post.

I recently acquired this old school bowling shirt in XL, and was informed it's from a '94 tour.

First question, I assume it's legit? It looks real, especially with the way the GD patch is custom in the shirt rather than sewn on.

And does anyone know which tour(s) it was sold on, and if it's particularly rare?

Secondly, there seems to be something missing on the opposite breast, another patch perhaps?
Anyone with any ideas, or even better, a photo of what should be there? Or is it meant to be like that?

Thanks

image11_zpsxgo0yl0x.jpg

image21_zpsoygybcrm.jpg

image3_zpsqowttktp.jpg

image4_zps3f2euj1r.jpg

image5_zpsokofaiuf.jpg

Well isn't that the sexiest thing I've seen all day?

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news man. This isn't a bowling shirt, and there's no way this shirt was from 1994 when the logo wasn't used until '97. Sure, the patch looks like it was done by a pro, but the spot you mentioned that looks like it's missing something? That's the name badge that was sewn on there originally. Cintas is a company that, among other things, provides uniforms for restaurants and other service entities. So this shirt belonged to somebody who used to take out the garbage at the hospital.

It's tempting to believe whomever you got this from, because for a long time Billie had a thing for these work shirts. He used to wear a couple with the name "Chuck" sewn on one side, like the dark rectangular area opposite the Green Day patch. It was never sold on any tour. I'm sorry to say, it seems you've been had.

This is a nice item !

And it's rare !

I assume that maybe it was worn by tour members during the Nimrod tour in 1997-1998.

Too bad, that it's XL size.

The missing badge looks like it said 'Marshall'. This might've been who wore the shirt, or a reference to Marshall guitar Amps

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news man. This isn't a bowling shirt, and there's no way this shirt was from 1994 when the logo wasn't used until '97. Sure, the patch looks like it was done by a pro, but the spot you mentioned that looks like it's missing something? That's the name badge that was sewn on there originally. Cintas is a company that, among other things, provides uniforms for restaurants and other service entities. So this shirt belonged to somebody who used to take out the garbage at the hospital.

It's tempting to believe whomever you got this from, because for a long time Billie had a thing for these work shirts. He used to wear a couple with the name "Chuck" sewn on one side, like the dark rectangular area opposite the Green Day patch. It was never sold on any tour. I'm sorry to say, it seems you've been had.

Ah yeah - totally had a logo brain fart there, should have seen this was Nimrod era.

Yeah I know it's not really a Bowling shirt, it is more of a worker shirt, it's just what he called it. I only paid £8 for it so was worth the risk, and he sold me a load of other legit old merch (black Insomniac tee, grey Basket Case tee, black Pulling Teeth longsleeve) so I just assumed it was authentic and well worn.

Cintas could surely just be the blank that was used for these shirts, and those shirts also happen to be work uniforms. Best way to get an authentic working shirt as merch surely?

My other thought is, if he took that name badge off, to then add the GD patch, then why would he not just cover it up with the patch rather than leave that mark?

I'll see if I can get more info out of him.

A nice idea for an item is to remake Mike's shirt in the Basket Case video and Billie's shirt in the Redundant video !

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure I've already seen this shirt somewhere... Maybe it was Green Day crew shirt during Nimrod era.

Billie wasn't the only one ;)

183063_1738353191664_4742734_n.jpg?oh=30

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I happen to own one of these shirts (mine isn't solid but baby blue with tiny whitw pin stripes). I bought mine in 1997 at the Nimrod tour. Has the same kind of fabric discoloration. 

Archived