Possible Release Date of New Album

SomeNimrod97

I like the idea of revisiting St. Jimmy or Whatsername at some point in the future, I just think it should perhaps be in a few years' time, maybe.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really have no clue honestly but I'd guess it's coming next year... probably later next year, though.

But no matter when it comes out it doesn't really matter as long as it's well written and sounds acceptable. Lots of people are always saying how shitty the trilogy was... I personally don't think it's that bad (but it could've been better), but I see where everyone is coming from. I hope it's maybe less pop-ish like the trilogy was honestly. Plus the three albums could've had songs with deeper meanings to them.

One request though. NEVER do something like Nightlife again. PLEASE. That song is class-a crap.

But yeah... if I had to guess, it's probably coming out sometime later on in 2016.

I like the idea of revisiting St. Jimmy or Whatsername at some point in the future, I just think it should perhaps be in a few years' time, maybe.

It's been 11 years already. Why not now versus, say, the album after this next one? Just curious why you might think it's still too soon.

Excuse you???? :o 21st Century Breakdown is fucking awesome!

Edit: or should I say it's awesome as fuck? :D

No, you really shouldn't.

It's been 11 years already. Why not now versus, say, the album after this next one? Just curious why you might think it's still too soon.

I dunno really. 11 years isn't really that long in the grand scheme of things. It'd be nice if they revisited it when they were old(er) men.

But am I the only one who actually likes the trilogy? I mean not every single song but I like some song more then some of their pre-american idiot works

please don't kill me for this :ermm::unsure:

But am I the only one who actually likes the trilogy? I mean not every single song but I like some song more then some of their pre-american idiot works

please don't kill me for this :ermm::unsure:

I like it. On this forum we are the minority.

As long as it's nothing like AI or 21st CB I am ok with it.

Yeah but it's not.

WHAT?! It's constantly getting slated and its a good album...

Am I the only one who thinks resurrecting AI would be the worst move possible except maybe letting Lady Cobra join the band permanently?

Am I the only one who thinks resurrecting AI would be the worst move possible except maybe letting Lady Cobra join the band permanently?

There's no other story to be told there, Jimmy is dead and the whole point of Whatsername is that she can't be found again. The decade depicted by that album is significantly different from this decade in terms of the zeitgeist and the problems it faces, and to see a middle-aged Jesus whining about the problems of racism and economic inequality would be completely offputting and inappropriate.

There's no other story to be told there, Jimmy is dead and the whole point of Whatsername is that she can't be found again. The decade depicted by that album is significantly different from this decade in terms of the zeitgeist and the problems it faces, and to see a middle-aged Jesus whining about the problems of racism and economic inequality would be completely offputting and inappropriate.

I agree. Moreover, 21CB got criticized for trying to be an AI sequel and generally was accepted worse because of the comparison. There's no way a soap opera about Jesus still being pathetic could live up to its ancestor. Another problem is that they were living off this album for past 10 years. 21CB was big partly because of the expectations put into AI's follow-up, the hype was even enlarged by the Broadway musical. They used AI as a way to promote 21CB. At some point, promotion of the musical was even preferred, but this can't go on forever. AI has made all the money it could, its potential was fulfilled in every regard. Now it's time to move on.

Who even needs a story album. They should just stick with the trilogy like theme and create an album with 12 fun tracks. The best Green Day songs are the ones that are simple.

Who even needs a story album. They should just stick with the trilogy like theme and create an album with 12 fun tracks. The best Green Day songs are the ones that are simple.

Honestly, i dont see them doing that because they ALWAYS wanna go big., Id like to see it but i think their mind set is something like

"They waited 5 years for an album, we cant just give them something simple we need an epic 18 track politically charged record thats over an hour long! You know what? That aint good enough either, lets ALSO do a bunch of covers and a few b sides!"

"Oh, they waited 3 years! We cant just give them a basic album...but we wanna go back to a fun style..Lets give them THREE albums in one year!"

"Oh, they wated 3-4 years for an album we cant just give them a basic album we need to give the fans something great..." etc.

Im not agreeing with that mindset but i assume thats what their mindset is nowadays :P

I don't really enjoy thinking about the stories. They're so generic and vague, anyway. You can either see them as archetypical and symbolic - a way to guide the listener when thinking about the meaning or you can see AI as a Fight Club rip-off.

It's constantly getting slated

Yeah but it's not.

Could you imagine an album with 12 Nightlifes?

HAHAHA can we actually just take a minute to remember that DOS had a fucking rap... One can only hope they're done with that shit

Jimmy is dead

What?! This is...I don't know how to respond. Just yesterday he was liking my posts in the Gaming 2.0 thread and arguing with Ceadog about the nature of his existence. He was a good guy, often misunderstood, but a good guy nonetheless. RIP in pieces, Jimmy. You will be missed. :(

21%20Gun%20Salute.gif

HAHAHA can we actually just take a minute to remember that DOS had a fucking rap... One can only hope they're done with that shit

You've gotta remember that Green Day will always experiment in their music. Every album contains some type of new element to the sound. We need to remember that their music isn't only for fans, it's a chance for them to try new things and see what the public likes. Insomniac didn't sell too well, but then they released Nimrod with experimental elements of folk and surf rock and it was a great record. They didn't just quickly decide to do that. Billie said that he had wanted to make that kind of album for a long time, but he didn't see a chance to make it until then. The ideas have always been in them, its just a matter of when the right time is to release their ideas. Once Warning came out, which I think is a really underrated record, they had realized they had taken the folk sound a little too far, although I personally enjoyed it. Thanks to that realization, they started writing and revisiting some of their old punk ideas while still keeping an open ear to the fans. The product could've been Cigarettes and Valentines but ultimately went for the best they could do and ended up with American Idiot. My point is, they're always gonna keep putting different elements and ideas into their records because it's just what musicians do, but in the end they always end up with a record that's at least pretty good with songs that they know fans will love. It's really just about the balance between experimenting and what the fans want.

It could be something as simple as a line like "St. Jimmy's back in town / So what / Oh F*ckin' Well"

ye maybe not

Archived