Green Day to play NiFi Music Fest - CANCELLED

Sanity Loan

Green Day was paid $1.8 million for the festival. They were the highest paid group scheduled. 

Well, there goes that idea for my bar mitzvah.

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't imagine how this festival expected to actually break even, let alone make money... no advertising, just a few hundred people bought tickets... how much were parking and concessions going to cost, exactly? :P 

I can't imagine how this festival expected to actually break even, let alone make money... no advertising, just a few hundred people bought tickets... how much were parking and concessions going to cost, exactly? :P 

Where are you seeing that only a few hundred people bought tickets?

$1.8m for a gig they never actually played? Probably more money than they made from the combined sales of the trilogy :P 

Lesson of the day: don't make a new album, agree to play a shitty festival that gets cancelled instead...make ludicrous money while sitting on your ass. #Motivation 

So cute how NiFi originally put on their website they were determined to not make a loss.
What a journey. 

Music festivals (and concerts in general) are very very profitable. Live Nation alone generated $25.1 billion in 2014.

NiFi must have thought people were going to stampede into Kentucky like they did for Woodstock.

Music festivals (and concerts in general) are very very profitable. Live Nation alone generated $25.1 billion in 2014.

NiFi must have thought people were going to stampede into Kentucky like they did for Woodstock.

They were way too ambitious for a first time round festival. 

Would they still have gotten paid though, with the festival not going ahead? Or do you think contractually they'd still be obliged to pay them?

If I were in the band I would deliberately not even have got out of bed that day just to say i'd make a million dollars doing nothing haha

Would they still have gotten paid though, with the festival not going ahead? Or do you think contractually they'd still be obliged to pay them?

Generally speaking, if the band backs out, they don't get paid. If the festival cancels the contract, they still owe the band the performance fee.

So, yeah, assuming Green Day stipulated full payment up front as part of their contract, they got paid $1.8 million to do nothing, and now it's on the festival to beg and plead for some of their money back.

Where are you seeing that only a few hundred people bought tickets?

I'm just assuming — they barely even netted 1,000 people on their social media pages. Presumably, if they couldn't even get someone to click "like" on their page, how could they get many more people to spend hundreds of dollars on tickets? I can't imagine that many older people without social media accounts were dying to go to this festival.

They were way too ambitious for a first time round festival. 

That's what I meant by my post — the Nifi organizers saw dollar signs and thought they were going to make easy money doing absolutely nothing.

That's what I meant by my post — the Nifi organizers saw dollar signs and thought they were going to make easy money doing absolutely nothing.

In Soviet California, Green Day saw dollar signs and made easy money doing absolutely nothing!

I believe that article says they made about $14 million in ticket sales before cancelling.

That blows my mind, because if tickets were $300ish (not including the "ignited" bullshit), that's an insane amount of people...

That blows my mind, because if tickets were $300ish (not including the "ignited" bullshit), that's an insane amount of people...

I take it back. The article is saying that was the gross income from the 2013 festival that was organized by some of the same people yet still came out in the red.

I believe that article says they made about $14 million in ticket sales before cancelling.

That was referring to BottleRock 13, another festival put on by many of the same people that also tanked.

$14M in ticket sales for NiFi would translate, at $300 per, to over 46,000 tickets sold. It would have gone off as planned with those numbers, although given the size of Kentucky Speedway, it would probably have been regarded as a failure.

*Edit: This is why you don't write a post, walk away for 20 minutes, then come back and click "Post" without looking at the new replies first.

I take it back. The article is saying that was the gross income from the 2013 festival that was organized by some of the same people yet still came out in the red.

OK, I was gonna say, that did not compute at all. :lol: 

Like, I still forget that NIfi Fest was even going to be a thing, and then little updates like this pop up and just make me so hurt. It's not even something to get angry about, because at this point, I'm just used to it... 2/3 of my Green Day shows being canceled, it's just laughable, really. At least I didn't get the Hall of Fame induction canceled, too. :P 

2/3 of my Green Day shows being canceled, it's just laughable, really. At least I didn't get the Hall of Fame induction canceled, too. :P 

We need to stop going to the same concerts...#Cursed

We need to stop going to the same concerts...#Cursed

Well, you and Laura went to a show that didn't happen, at least according to Alissa and I (DTE 2010 was the first day of classes and between many classes having a first-day attendance policy and work at the paper, it was basically the one day in the summer/fall we couldn't go, and the tour sucked when it came to the Midwest), so the overlap isn't perfect! 

(I will never stop being bitter about this :lol:

Anyway, I didn't realize that a lot of the same people involved with NiFi had previous festival issues. You'd think investors would've been waty of them. 

how credible can that article be when they claim weezer to be a 'less popular band'? :P 

how credible can that article be when they claim weezer to be a 'less popular band'? :P 

At the very least, people have as much hatred toward them as people have toward GD :lol: 

At the very least, people have as much hatred toward them as people have toward GD :lol: 

At least the Weezer hatred is somewhat warranted...Raditude was such a joke.

At least the Weezer hatred is somewhat warranted...Raditude was such a joke.

If you ever needed reassurance that the music industry is a massive circle-jerk, the fact that both Kerrang and Rolling Stone gave that album 4/5 stars should do the trick.

If you ever needed reassurance that the music industry is a massive circle-jerk, the fact that both Kerrang and Rolling Stone gave that album 4/5 stars should do the trick.

"That's not true...THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE" - Luke Skywalker

At least Weezer redeemed themselves with their latest album. I thought that was their best since Pinkerton.

• 2 months later...
  • Second favourite son locked this topic

Archived