Walking contradiction - Green Day and the way they contradict themselves.

Hero_Of_The_Hour

Yeah but isn't it normal to mention friends or family's bands like that? It's minimal, don't think it crosses the line to exploiting his name.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

During the 21st Century Breakdown era, I was especially happy that they didn't sell the album at Walmart because they refuse to carry uncensored, explicit editions of music albums. Then, by the time of the trilogy I was disappointed because they sold clean editions of those albums, after they had taken such a great stand against censorship with 21st Century Breakdown.

Also, not directly related to Green Day, but still on this topic: I wish the manufacturers would put a sticker on them warning you that you're purchasing the clean edition, just like they do vice-versa with warning stickers on explicit editions. I've accidentally bought clean editions of three CDs in the past (two soundtracks and a Seether album) because there was no warning that I was buying censored versions.

He's an awful person and Joey's his kid. Guess what - like father like son. :P

No, I don't think they're doing anything wrong. Disconnecting completely's not possible so reasonable cooperation is the best option for them. Most of Swimmers' fans recruited from Green Day's fandom so it's obvious they're not linked and it would be pointless to pretend otherwise.

No, I don't think they're doing anything wrong. Disconnecting completely's not possible so reasonable cooperation is the best option for them. Most of Swimmers' fans recruited from Green Day's fandom so it's obvious they are linked and it would be pointless to pretend otherwise.

During the 21st Century Breakdown era, I was especially happy that they didn't sell the album at Walmart because they refuse to carry uncensored, explicit editions of music albums. Then, by the time of the trilogy I was disappointed because they sold clean editions of those albums, after they had taken such a great stand against censorship with 21st Century Breakdown.

21CB had much less bad language than the trilogy though.

That's true. But Walmart still had a problem with 21st Century Breakdown enough to refuse to sell it unless it was censored, so Green Day refused to censor it and sell a copy there. I just wish they would have done the same for the trilogy.

Also, not directly related to Green Day, but still on this topic: I wish the manufacturers would put a sticker on them warning you that you're purchasing the clean edition, just like they do vice-versa with warning stickers on explicit editions. I've accidentally bought clean editions of three CDs in the past (two soundtracks and a Seether album) because there was no warning that I was buying censored versions.

But that was a different situation tho they felt there wasn't that much cussing on Breakdown to warrant censoring it

On trilogy he said in GW that there was extreme amount of cussing

Yeah but isn't it normal to mention friends or family's bands like that? It's minimal, don't think it crosses the line to exploiting his name.

No, I don't think they're doing anything wrong. Disconnecting completely's not possible so reasonable cooperation is the best option for them. Most of Swimmers' fans recruited from Green Day's fandom so it's obvious they're not linked and it would be pointless to pretend otherwise.

No, I don't think they're doing anything wrong. Disconnecting completely's not possible so reasonable cooperation is the best option for them. Most of Swimmers' fans recruited from Green Day's fandom so it's obvious they are linked and it would be pointless to pretend otherwise.

It's not about exploiting his name though, Billie said Emilys Army would have to make it themselves and then he produces their albums, promotes their releases and their tours by tweeting and instagramming about it and Green Day's official site reported important release dates and news about them... that goes beyond unavoidable relations and into shameless promotion.

"CHECK OUT SWIMMERS" he was telling people to look them up...

It's not about exploiting his name though, Billie said Emilys Army would have to make it themselves and then he produces their albums, promotes their releases and their tours by tweeting and instagramming about it and Green Day's official site reported important release dates and news about them... that goes beyond unavoidable relations and into shameless promotion.

"CHECK OUT SWIMMERS" he was telling people to look them up...

I don't think that level of promotion is "shameless", spending a few moments making the very occasional instagram or twitter post. Wouldn't be unusual to do the same amount for a friend's band, and he's Joey's dad so he's not going to pretend they don't exist. And Green Day's site mentioned them because Billie, a member of Green Day, produced their album. The band never bring up Green Day themselves and don't promote themselves as being some sort of Green Day related band, I think they've done things pretty decently.

I don't think that level of promotion is "shameless", spending a few moments making the very occasional instagram or twitter post. Wouldn't be unusual to do the same amount for a friend's band, and he's Joey's dad so he's not going to pretend they don't exist. And Green Day's site mentioned them because Billie, a member of Green Day, produced their album. The band never bring up Green Day themselves and don't promote themselves as being some sort of Green Day related band, I think they've done things pretty decently.

It's not about how long it takes, if someone would do it for a friends band, if it's usual or not, why they were mentioned on Green Day's website (all of these points are obvious) or if for their part EA ever mention Billie or Green Day...the point is Billie said he wouldn't help Emily's Army/they would have to make it on their own then promoted them, used his band site to promote them and also produced their album. Contradiction right there. The end.

It's not about how long it takes, if someone would do it for a friends band, if it's usual or not, why they were mentioned on Green Day's website (all of these points are obvious) or if for their part EA ever mention Billie or Green Day...the point is Billie said he wouldn't help Emily's Army/they would have to make it on their own then promoted them, used his band site to promote them and also produced their album. Contradiction right there. The end.

I don't think he swore a solemn promise to never mention his own son's band, I wouldn't take a comment about them making it on their own to be so concrete when he could just as easily just mean they'll have to prove themselves writing music, playing gigs, being on a small label and doing all the work that goes with that like other bands rather than being given an automatic big record deal, taken on tour with Green Day or promoted as Green Day junior or whatever.

But that was a different situation tho they felt there wasn't that much cussing on Breakdown to warrant censoring it

On trilogy he said in GW that there was extreme amount of cussing

Oh, I never heard him talk about the trilogy having a lot of cussing in it, I must have missed that comment. This may be a stupid question, but what's GW?

Oh, I never heard him talk about the trilogy having a lot of cussing in it, I must have missed that comment. This may be a stupid question, but what's GW?

Guitar World

I just don't think whether they play songs from it or not necessarily shows how special the album was/is to them. I mean it might, but not necessarily.

I said I agree with you on that on the first post :lol: I hadn't thought about it but when you said it I realised that yeah, maybe that they don't choose to play them doesn't mean they don't like them.

What I kept talking about though is the interview of (I think Mike?) saying that they got the same vibe with the trilogy as with Dookie and AI, ignoring that supposedly they got that vibe too with 21st Century Breakdown.

I said I agree with you on that on the first post :lol: I hadn't thought about it but when you said it I realised that yeah, maybe that they don't choose to play them doesn't mean they don't like them.

What I kept talking about though is the interview of (I think Mike?) saying that they got the same vibe with the trilogy as with Dookie and AI, ignoring that supposedly they got that vibe too with 21st Century Breakdown.

Oh I see :lol:, yeah maybe the fact that Dookie and AI made a massive impact on critics and the public after being released meant that "life changing feeling" about them stayed with them longer though? All I know is I believe they did feel that way about 21st CB, from the way they talked about it before and during its release it seems like it was kind of a huge soul-searching ordeal to make that album so it must've been a very significant thing in their lives at the time and felt like a special thing after they finally finished it, even if it didn't have the extra boost of also making a massive lasting cultural impact that makes them continue to think of it that way. I know I'm probably taking this too seriously though, technically they did leave it off the list so it could technically be seen as a contradiction :P

My point is he attacked a specific individual in a horrible, hideous way - wishing Steve Jobs would die of cancer is totally fucked. Steve Jobs did not invent technology itself. He was simply the CEO of Apple. Now if Billie has a problem with aspects of technology or how it is used fine, whatever but what did Steve or Apple do specifically and if they did do something (in Billie's mind) why is he using an APPLE laptop? If he is going to make such an outrageous statement then why buy an Apple product when there are so many other options? I'm also guessing he already had an ipod, was using itunes and had many other Apple products.

Put it another way what if another rockstar (I don't care if they were high/drunk/sober) went onstage a few months back and started ranting about how much they hate the negative affect certain aspects of the modelling industry can have on young people and then said "I can't wait for Brittney Cade to fucking die of cancer" and then she did die. A few years later said rockstar is seen at a fashion show. Why? Well he only hates certain aspects right? Hey don't knock it until you try it!

Exactly.

My point is he attacked a specific individual in a horrible, hideous way - wishing Steve Jobs would die of cancer is totally fucked. Steve Jobs did not invent technology itself. He was simply the CEO of Apple. Now if Billie has a problem with aspects of technology or how it is used fine, whatever but what did Steve or Apple do specifically and if they did do something (in Billie's mind) why is he using an APPLE laptop? If he is going to make such an outrageous statement then why buy an Apple product when there are so many other options? I'm also guessing he already had an ipod, was using itunes and had many other Apple products.

Put it another way what if another rockstar (I don't care if they were high/drunk/sober) went onstage a few months back and started ranting about how much they hate the negative affect certain aspects of the modelling industry can have on young people and then said "I can't wait for Brittney Cade to fucking die of cancer" and then she did die. A few years later said rockstar is seen at a fashion show. Why? Well he only hates certain aspects right? Hey don't knock it until you try it!

Just to answer this. Whether the rockstar was seen at a fashion show or not would be irrelevant as he never said he hated the whole fashion industry. It's just a nasty way of making a point either way. I don't know why you'd take every word of a drunken angry rant literally when it's clear that not every word was meant literally. Do you really think that just because he made that non-literal reference to Steve Jobs as an unpleasant and crass way of criticising technology intruding into people's lives too much he should never use an Apple product again even though he never at any time actually had a specific problem with Apple? It was an uncalled for thing to say but I don't see that as a reason to take a figurative statement as a literal statement.

Yeah, if Billie had said the Steve Jobs thing totally sober, as a well thought-out and unprovoked comment in an interview then fair enough. But he said it impulsively when he was really drunk/drugged up and directed his frustration at Steve Jobs because of the amount of assumed iPhones in the crowd, not because he actually has an issue with Apple. It doesn't excuse him saying it and it was vile for sure, but it shouldn't be treated as a belief he actually holds (or ever did), because that's obviously not the case.

I do actually think it's a bit unfair to keep dragging it back up in general considering that he's got sober and apologised since then, but that's just me.

Another thought about Billie being totally honest with public. His statement about being a Bi. Latter on he kinda took it back, cause he didn't want to offend his wife.

What do you think? I personally don't believe him, maybe he wanted just to make a statement how he doesn't see any difference between people by their sexuality/race/whatever, to support the cause of equality. I mean, there is no any evidence of it in any song/ his life story, except from the habit kissing male fans in public :D and I'm sure it's mostly for fun.

Another thought about Billie being totally honest with public. His statement about being a Bi. Latter on he kinda took it back, cause he didn't want to offend his wife.

What do you think? I personally don't believe him, maybe he wanted just make a statement how he doesn't see any difference between people by their sexuality/race/whatever, to support the cause of equality. I mean, there is no any evidence of it in any song/ his life story, except of the habit kissing male fans in public :D and I'm sure it's mostly for fun.

Have you a link to an interview where he said he isn't? I didn't knew that.

All the thread makes me feel is just more evidence that folks shouldn't take what Billie says so damn seriously

What do you think? I personally don't believe him, maybe he wanted just make a statement how he doesn't see any difference between people by their sexuality/race/whatever, to support the cause of equality. I mean, there is no any evidence of it in any song/ his life story, except of the habit kissing male fans in public :D and I'm sure it's mostly for fun.

Actually, he didn't take it back. He said he doesn't act on it since he's in a long-term relationship with his wife and doesn't really need to identify with the label. That doesn't mean he's not bi anymore.

Listen to Coming Clean; not only it's a good song, but your so-called proof as well :D

As to asking what we think about it, it's a wrong question. A person can identity as whatever they want and nobody has the right to invalidate that, because nobody can know it better than them. If somebody comes out as a gherkin tomorow, I'll accept their identity withought blinking an eye, because I'm not the one to know what they are neither is it my business. This is not a question of believing. This is about accepting.

I'm sure you know shit and so does everyone except BJ himself.

Here's the original article. He didn't say he's not bisexual, he just said he doesn't classify himself as anything now he's been married for so long.

I'm not sure why someone would want to Google "[partner's name] bisexual", but each to their own? :lol:

All the thread makes me feel is just more evidence that folks shouldn't take what Billie says so damn seriously

He's a compulsive liar y'know?

Actually, he didn't take it back. He said he doesn't act on it since he's in a long-term relationship with his wife and doesn't really need to identify with the label. That doesn't mean he's not bi anymore.

Listen to Coming Clean; not only it's a good song, but your so-called proof as well :D

As to asking what we think about it, it's a wrong question. A person can identity as whatever they want and nobody has the right to invalidate that, because nobody can know it better than them. If somebody comes out as a gherkin tomorow, I'll accept their identity withought blinking an eye, because I'm not the one to know what they are neither is it my business. This is not a question of believing. This is about accepting.

I'm sure you know shit and so does everyone except BJ himself.

I also thought that it was pretty much implied, in Cometbus, that he was.

Archived