Walking contradiction - Green Day and the way they contradict themselves.

Hero_Of_The_Hour

At House of Blues: "This is the last time I'm going to be this close to you for a little while," etc.

Crowd panics.

Less than a month later, Green Day plays a show at 924 Gilman. Alrighty then. :lol:

I was so upset over that too. I was crying and everything :(

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

her username on here is prick :)

Leave it at that with no further explanation :cool:

I Think Billie Joe mostly is an Hypocrite.!!

Seriuosly dude, haven't you heard about Tim Armstrong? :P

A lot of sucessful punk figures - like Offspring's Dexter Holland and Rancid's Tim Armstrong - have started their own labels to help bands out. Do you have any such plans?

BJA: No, I've got enough stuff to worry about now and the last thing I wanna worry about is other bands being pissed off because of a record label. I'd rather just write tunes. It's hard for me to take people as serious songwriters when they have a record label. It sort of takes things away from their music. I don't really necessary think of it as helping other bands.

- Metal Hammer, Feb. 1998

Then, a few months later, he forms Adeline Records.

It seems like with a lot of these things, Billie gets asked about stuff such as forming a record label or making American Idiot into a musical and although his first thought is "hell no," the ideas intrigue him, and then he realizes that maybe doing such things would be just swell. That is just a thought of mine.

Actually never heard that he said that about the musical OMG i need to see that :lol::lol:

It was some random American Idiot era one, a video, but there's so many and I don't know which one. It used to be in the download links but I assume it's gone now and I have no idea if it's on youtube so I'm not sure how to go about finding it.

Edit: Well I've found out it was the "Fook WKQX-FM Radio Interview 2004" (definitely, found several people posting the quote and saying it's from there). It is indeed gone from the downloads section and doesn't appear to be on youtube though :(. But as a consolation prize here's one where he said, "We're not talking about going to Broadway just yet" (0:52)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj1RnK3ufRo

I remember when Green Day were interviewed on the television show Last Call With Carson Daly in 2009, regarding Emily's Army Billie said something along the lines of that they'd have to make their own way as a band without using Billie's name or fame, then a year or two later Billie goes and produces their record with his name credited.

I don't think that really counts as "using his name for fame", they used a producer who they knew and was available to them due to the very fortunate fact that he's related to a band member (would've been stupid not to take advantage of that opportunity) and he was credited accordingly as any producer would be. They weren't going around mentioning his name in interviews or using it in promotional material for the album, or getting him to promote the album in any way. Every band makes use of connections that they have/people they know, they can't pretend they don't have any connection to Billie or that the connection hasn't given them any advantage, it's unavoidable, but as far as I can see they've never especially publicised the fact Billie is Joey's dad or that he's worked with them so I don't think they've ever exploited his name.

Seriuosly dude, haven't you heard about Tim Armstrong? :P

Okay, how exactly is Lint a hypocrite?

Okay, how exactly is Lint a hypocrite?

He calls himself a punk while he's friends with Green Day and, mind you, fucking Good Charlotte. It's unacceptable, the most sell-outty and HYPOCRITICAL.

I regret the day when I almost my hearing because of this awful jerk's distasteful skinhead support band!

BOYCOTT RANCID!

they wrote a song with Billie Joe (the worst person ever known) and didn't even APOLOGISE! how they fucking DARE?!

When Billie said he would take me to the park never did then took my friend later that day

When Billie said he would take me to the park never did then took my friend later that day

You have nothing to regret. He's so awful, but I'm sure part of it it just 80's influence. It's sad.

I'm liking this thread :) What comes to my mind is interviews before the release of 21st century Breakdown where they say that when recording the album they got the same felling of doing something big than when they did Dookie and American Idiot. Then they say the exact same thing when asked about the trilogy, excluding the feeling during 21st Century Breakdown of course, just Dookie and AI again. Then they don't play 21stCB songs at all at small shows where they can decide what to play without having the pressure of having to play the hits. So... I get that you have to promote your new album, but you can't really say it was such a life changing album (I can't remember the exact words or the interview, but it's the impression they gave me, I think it was Mike speaking) and then go and ignore it completely. I wonder if they'll go with the same Dookie-AI propaganda for the next album... :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure it's genuine when bands say they feel great about their new album or think it's some of their best stuff! They've just been living and breathing it for the last few months/years, probably feeling very emotionally close to what the lyrics are about and the music etc, and putting every effort into making it sound how they want. I think it's totally natural to feel that way about something they've poured their hearts and souls into when they've just finished it, even if a lot of those feelings do usually diminish later. They've probably said it about all their albums and meant it every time.

Seems more like they just prefer to play songs that will definitely get the crowd going when they play live to me, rather than them "betraying" 21st CB. Plus Billie has mentioned that 21st CB was very difficult and emotionally draining to make at times, so some of the songs aren't necessarily enjoyable for him to play even though (or perhaps because) they mean a lot to him.

Big contradiction :

When Billie Joe said "I walk alone" in the Boulevard of Broken Dreams video, while, obviously, he's walking with Mike and Tré by his side.

A walking contradiction..

I don't think that really counts as "using his name for fame", they used a producer who they knew and was available to them due to the very fortunate fact that he's related to a band member (would've been stupid not to take advantage of that opportunity) and he was credited accordingly as any producer would be. They weren't going around mentioning his name in interviews or using it in promotional material for the album, or getting him to promote the album in any way. Every band makes use of connections that they have/people they know, they can't pretend they don't have any connection to Billie or that the connection hasn't given them any advantage, it's unavoidable, but as far as I can see they've never especially publicised the fact Billie is Joey's dad or that he's worked with them so I don't think they've ever exploited his name.

The album had a sticker on it that said in huge letters produced by Billie Joe Armstrong of Green Day or something along those lines

The album had a sticker on it that said in huge letters produced by Billie Joe Armstrong of Green Day or something along those lines

A load of Emilys Army related news was reported on Green Days official site including their album release dates.

Billie Joe about hating actors

aprox at 5.40

How many actor friends does he have including Winona Ryder, Matthew Fox and the entire cast of American Idiot oh...and he is one!

There is a hillarious quote from Kerrang I wish I could find (not long ago either) where he again said something against Hollywood, acting and bad scripts...haha.

People change how they think about things. It doesn't make them a hypocrite or a liar. And just because he has/uses computers doesn't mean he can't think that technology has had a negative effect on society. I mean, it would really stupid to critize something you know nothing about.

"DON'T KNOCK IT UNTIL YOU'VE TRIED IT!" - KING! FOR! A! DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm pretty sure it's genuine when bands say they feel great about their new album or think it's some of their best stuff! They've just been living and breathing it for the last few months/years, probably feeling very emotionally close to what the lyrics are about and the music etc, and putting every effort into making it sound how they want. I think it's totally natural to feel that way about something they've poured their hearts and souls into when they've just finished it, even if a lot of those feelings do usually diminish later. They've probably said it about all their albums and meant it every time.

Seems more like they just prefer to play songs that will definitely get the crowd going when they play live to me, rather than them "betraying" 21st CB. Plus Billie has mentioned that 21st CB was very difficult and emotionally draining to make at times, so some of the songs aren't necessarily enjoyable for him to play even though (or perhaps because) they mean a lot to him.

I agree on the last bit, I hadn't thought it like that. But what I mean is that if feelings where there once, even if they don't feel the same way about it years later, they would have felt that way when they said it, so referring to feelings in the recording process years later they would have remembered it. I don't know if I am making sense :lol: What I mean is that the moments they felt that they were doing something big don't match from one interview to another, so it makes me think that they weren't being too honest when they said it (or they have really bad memory :lol:)

I agree on the last bit, I hadn't thought it like that. But what I mean is that if feelings where there once, even if they don't feel the same way about it years later, they would have felt that way when they said it, so referring to feelings in the recording process years later they would have remembered it. I don't know if I am making sense :lol: What I mean is that the moments they felt that they were doing something big don't match from one interview to another, so it makes me think that they weren't being too honest when they said it (or they have really bad memory :lol:)

Maybe they can also be influenced by how popular an album turns out to be, not just from a marketing point of view but in how they actually feel about it? Like I'm sure they felt all of them were great when they first released them as most bands do when they release new albums, but when they see an album make a huge cultural impact and get loads of critical acclaim it must have an effect on how long that feeling lasts. I think maybe it's just that Dookie and AI got that extra approval that makes them feel extra special and makes them more guaranteed to be a hit live, while others didn't.

Maybe they can also be influenced by how popular an album turns out to be, not just from a marketing point of view but in how they actually feel about it? Like I'm sure they felt all of them were great when they first released them as most bands do when they release new albums, but when they see an album make a huge cultural impact and get loads of critical acclaim it must have an effect on how long that feeling lasts. I think maybe it's just that Dookie and AI got that extra approval that makes them feel extra special and makes them more guaranteed to be a hit live, while others didn't.

I know but they weren't referring to the normal felling you have after making am album that the album is great, they said that the vibe was specially different, just like in Dookie and AI. I agree on the live part and the long term part, but that doesn't take away what you once felt. Even if then the extra approval isn't there. They were specifically saying that after 21st they didn't feel just like after Warning or after Nimrod, but like after those two successful albums. But of course 21st wasn't as successful so they erased it from the "really special" list, that's where I see the contradiction.

People change how they think about things. It doesn't make them a hypocrite or a liar. And just because he has/uses computers doesn't mean he can't think that technology has had a negative effect on society. I mean, it would really stupid to critize something you know nothing about.

"DON'T KNOCK IT UNTIL YOU'VE TRIED IT!" - KING! FOR! A! DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My point is he attacked a specific individual in a horrible, hideous way - wishing Steve Jobs would die of cancer is totally fucked. Steve Jobs did not invent technology itself. He was simply the CEO of Apple. Now if Billie has a problem with aspects of technology or how it is used fine, whatever but what did Steve or Apple do specifically and if they did do something (in Billie's mind) why is he using an APPLE laptop? If he is going to make such an outrageous statement then why buy an Apple product when there are so many other options? I'm also guessing he already had an ipod, was using itunes and had many other Apple products.

Put it another way what if another rockstar (I don't care if they were high/drunk/sober) went onstage a few months back and started ranting about how much they hate the negative affect certain aspects of the modelling industry can have on young people and then said "I can't wait for Brittney Cade to fucking die of cancer" and then she did die. A few years later said rockstar is seen at a fashion show. Why? Well he only hates certain aspects right? Hey don't knock it until you try it!

Billie Joe about hating actors

aprox at 5.40

How many actor friends does he have including Winona Ryder, Matthew Fox and the entire cast of American Idiot oh...and he is one!

There is a hillarious quote from Kerrang I wish I could find (not long ago either) where he again said something against Hollywood, acting and bad scripts...haha.

There he also said he hates musicians. He seemed to be tired and annoyed, I think it was a little bit exaggerated way to say he usually likes to spend his free time with "normal" people who aren't famous.

In this interview he reminds me so much of myself, I'd reacted the same way :lol:

I know but they weren't referring to the normal felling you have after making am album that the album is great, they said that the vibe was specially different, just like in Dookie and AI. I agree on the live part and the long term part, but that doesn't take away what you once felt. Even if then the extra approval isn't there. They were specifically saying that after 21st they didn't feel just like after Warning or after Nimrod, but like after those two successful albums. But of course 21st wasn't as successful so they erased it from the "really special" list, that's where I see the contradiction.

I just don't think whether they play songs from it or not necessarily shows how special the album was/is to them. I mean it might, but not necessarily.

I remember when Green Day were interviewed on the television show Last Call With Carson Daly in 2009, regarding Emily's Army Billie said something along the lines of that they'd have to make their own way as a band without using Billie's name or fame, then a year or two later Billie goes and produces their record with his name credited.

A load of Emilys Army related news was reported on Green Days official site including their album release dates.

Oh and most recently when they changed their name to Swimmers he tweeted this and put it on IG

@billiejoearmstrong

check out SWIMMERS! @swimmersca #babyjoey #maxbecker on tour with aquabats!!

blank.png

blank.png10684028_702203096539553_1568871385_n.jp

Archived