John Joseph Lydon takes aim at Green Day again

FalcoLombardi

Sex pistols icon John Lydon has once again opened fire on Green Day, this time labeling them as "tinny" imitations of far deeper music

Here is what he said:

Do you like Green Day?

"No, I've never been a fan of them, I just don't understand it. I think it's kind of a tinny, two-bob version of something that was far deeper and carried more significance. And, uh, that for me, as a band, they're not very significant. They're a mélange. They're closer to Billy Idol than myself."

Upon hearing that Green Day had been inducted into the hall of fame, Lydon said "Did they?! Oh, no doubt they took that [laughs]. Itchy fingers [laughs]. I don't keep up with those kinds of things, so I wouldn't know."

Lydon has expressed his dislike for Green Day in the past, referring to them as "foolish" and "imitators" who he once chased out of a room at a fashion show, as he didn't believe in the event and couldn't believe that they believed in being there.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/john-lydon-and-his-rotten-past-20150429?page=7

What do you guys think?. Why does Lydon hate Green Day so much? Is he just a big wind up merchant looking for reactions? Why does he have to be a massive asswipe about everything Green Day, who are a far more talented band than the Sex Pistols ever were and sell out stadiums, something his band is incapable of doing? Is it just the ego?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think he really knows anything much about them or their music and he jumped to the conclusion that they're some kind of manufactured act that only do really generic pop punk a long time ago. He likes to talk shit to get attention regardless of whether he knows what he's talking about.

Opinions are like assholes, and this guy is a dick.

As hilarious as ever.

I suspect a lot of it is just to wind people up. I don't know much about him or his personality, but I think he just does it a lot to get reactions out of people.

If it is genuine, then it just makes him look like an ungratious cunt, but he's not the first and won't be the last.

Have Green Day ever actually responded to his opinions?

As hilarious as ever.

I suspect a lot of it is just to wind people up. I don't know much about him or his personality, but I think he just does it a lot to get reactions out of people.

If it is genuine, then it just makes him look like an ungratious cunt, but he's not the first and won't be the last.

I'm not sure if they've ever responded, but I find it quite interesting how they cite them as influences and have covered them multiple times only to have Lydon bitch about them, ha.

If I was Billie, I'd be planning a cover of a Pistols song right about now.

I think they should replace the King for A Day medley with a Sex Pistols medley

I keep forgetting this guy exists.

Lydon has expressed his dislike for Green Day in the past, referring to them as "foolish" and "imitators" who he once chased out of a room at a fashion show, as he didn't believe in the event and couldn't believe that they believed in being there.

The irony hurts.

Billie said this in 1996:

"You know who's another bitter old bastard? Johnny Rotten. He sounds like my grandmother, at times. He really sounds old. And he's so predictable in his comments about us. I mean, be a bit more novel. Try and come up with something new. On top of that, some of the stuff from P.I.L. was complete shit ,as far as I'm concerned."

:lol: I don't actually know what Lydon said about them back then though, haven't heard any pre-American Idiot quotes from him about them. And I don't think Green Day have responded to any of his newer/known quotes.

Edit: Oh and also :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tVsFdCj1WA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ptwDAyYp8M

The funniest part is that I clearly remember that he publicly came out in a radio interview a couple years ago saying that he doesn't actually hate them and that he's actually enjoyed a few of their tunes, but that he just doesn't consider them punk. Which I don't either, at least not anymore. I personally like to think that they've morphed into a plain ol' rock band now instead, which is just as fine. They'll always have the punk within them, but they've just grown up and matured into a mainstream rock band. Hell he (Lydon) even wished them "blokes" the best on whatever they were doing next, which I think turned out to be the trilogy.

I'll see if I can locate the source, but I swear he fucking said this shit.

Hell he (Lydon) even wished them "blokes" the best on whatever they were doing next, which I think turned out to be the trilogy.

NOW I know who to blame for that pile of crap.

NOW I know who to blame for that pile of crap.

Hey, we got Rusty James (well, the demo from Demolicious at least), Stray Heart, Brutal Love and X-Kid from that "crap". Thanks, John!

Haha wow. How is this guy even still relevant today? Pretty sure The Sex Pistols are either for old bitter punks or 12 year olds who are just getting into the genre. Get over yourself, your band put out one album that wasnt even that good.

Who cares what anyone says about someone else? Even GD´s statements about Johnny Rotten are pure meh. Divas taking their mudbath. So what...

Wow hahaha, I think he's just jealous now :P

I'd not, because they're all shit.

Billie Joe would probably be very happy to be told he was closer to Billy Idol than John Lydon!! Billie himself called John a bitter old bastard however his love of Billy Idol is well established with him covering many Generation X songs live and quotes like, "The intention of the song was simply to try to write something as good as 'Kiss Me Deadly' by Generation X, but it came out as 'Basket Case' instead." Oh and then during the 99 Revolutions tour he even bought a Billy Idol baby onesie!! (thanks to that shop for tweeting that one :lol: ) Once again Lydon sounds bitter and fails to insult as he fails to see that nobody WANTS to be like him anyway . :lol::fuckyou:

I'd not, because they're all shit.

Ok...John's clearly a dick and that's hardly arguable but songs like God Save The Queen were the equivilant to American Idiot when they came out and caused major controvery in the UK and beyond at the time. They had a major impact socially and few who even remotely enjoy or appreciate punk would call that song or indeed many others on that album "shit". Even if you don't like his vocal style or something their lyrics stand out on that song and several others. Their existence was brief but their songs were good. There is a reason they are widely recognised. It isn't just image or hype.

Archived