Wanna write for GDA? Send in an application

Fuzz

I'd like to bring on a news editor to post on GDA. It seems like most of the current staff can get busy and we've been missing stuff or posting stuff pretty late. It'd be awesome to find someone who likes keeping up with the latest news and would like joining the team to help us out. I'd like to pick someone from GDC who's active here, because GDC is still the best place to get information and connect with other fans.

Requirements:

• Good writing skills. It helps if you can summarize information and write it in a way that's interesting to others. Proper grammar and spelling is a must.
  • Have some free time to post. Ideally I'd like to find someone willing to take 15-30 minutes a day to post something up if there's something to share. It's not a huge amount of time, but I'd really like someone who can be consistent.
  • Trustworthy - It's not often, but sometimes we talk about stuff that can't be shared. No hinting at upcoming stuff or telling that one person you think you can trust. You have to remember that not only do Green Day's family and management read GDA, there some large sites that have taken news from us before like Yahoo! Music, MTV and Rolling Stone. So we have to be mindful of the things we share.

Not a requirement, but a huge plus:

• Basic photo editing skills. We need to crop and resize photos that go on GDA news posts (either as a header or story image). It helps a lot if you know how to do this so that images don't end up all funky looking (I use photoshop, but things like IrfanView are free and can resize and crop).
  • Basic understanding of bbcode - We use bbcode (and some customized bbcode) to post links and images on GDA. It's the same code we use on GDC for things like linking or making bold text. It'll be easier for you if you have some idea how to use this.

It's a pretty cool position to be in, having your stuff read by hundreds or thousands of people every day (and when it's a big story, tens of thousands). Right now GDA averages around 60k-90k visitors per month. Obviously it's a bit quiet while the band is still on break - but we want someone to come on who can get used to what we need so that when things pick up they feel comfortable with it. Sometimes it can be a little tedious, having to write about something kind of small because that's really all there is, so it really does help if you're the type of fan who likes to know as much as you can and follow all the updates in various threads around GDC. We need someone who can filter through everything and find the interesting stuff to share with people.

How to apply:

Send an email to theGDA@gmail.com with the following:

• Your Name (include your real name and GDC username):
  • Why do you want to join the team?
  • What's something you think the GDA team could improve on?
  • Write up three sample news posts for the following stories: Jason White performs at Broken Guitars store opening, Rolling Stone looks back Green Day's biggest moments, and something small Basketcase included in Teens React to 90's music (the last one only needs a sentence or two). Remember that we're basically just posting these articles for people to read. So we summarize them, maybe highlight an interesting part, add context if needed, and include a related photo (except the last one, because we'll embed the video). It doesn't have to be lengthy, in fact, I like when we get to the point of the story and don't editorialize every small thing. Of course we have editorials where we write lengthy pieces recapping an event or sharing some thought we think will be interesting - but it's not a requirement for this position. We want someone who can help us get interesting stuff out to other fans.

We'll take applications until next Saturday, May 16th.

Thanks for anyone who's interested in helping us out!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only if it's a column about new pop tart flavors

I can't help but wonder if you're getting anything from Kellogg's. If not, I feel like you should.

I can't help but wonder if you're getting anything from Kellogg's. If not, I feel like you should.

I get it all

I'm an expert on this. Hit me up and I'll tel you alll about the flavors!

I'm an expert on this. Hit me up and I'll tel you alll about the flavors!

how dare you

This sounds really cool. I can spell AND I know proper grammar. Andres, if I applied, would you look at my application?

This is cool, good luck to the person who wins the position!

RBS should apply. GDA articles need more quality and less fluff. If RBS is unavailable, I would gladly volunteer my epic writing skills.

Personally, I'd love to see Mar or Alissa apply. Either would be perfect for the position.

ARE YOU LISTENING MAR AND ALISSA?!! ;)

I'll do it if everyone else's application is terrible. Can't be fucked applying though, my Cleveland recap is in the most liked content if you want to read that :)

Greenday fanfic????

I feel like this would be really really fun to do... But I don't want to mess up news when I write. :P I might, I dunno... :ninja:

Are current mods / former admins eligible?

Asking for a friend.

Asking for a friend.

I bloody hope so because I just sent mine in :P

Asking for a friend.

Your staff status on here goes up and down like a tarts knickers, so I wouldn't be surprised.

Out of curiosity, how does GDA source its news articles? Do you typically just wait for another outlet to post the news (or for Green Day to formally announce something, obv.), or do you get tipped off? Also, does someone assign the writers stories, or is it just kind of whoever is online or available at the time takes care of it?

Personally, I'd love to see Mar or Alissa apply. Either would be perfect for the position.

ARE YOU LISTENING MAR AND ALISSA?!! ;)

I dunno, he hasn't posted the minimum salary yet... I'm hoping for at least a $10,000 annual pay raise from my current gig.

Out of curiosity, how does GDA source its news articles? Do you typically just wait for another outlet to post the news (or for Green Day to formally announce something, obv.), or do you get tipped off? Also, does someone assign the writers stories, or is it just kind of whoever is online or available at the time takes care of it?

I'm wondering this also

Yes, yes, yes, and yes :)

Yes, yes, yes, and yes :)

You guys sound about as organized as the newspaper I work for then! Lovely. :P

I dunno, he hasn't posted the minimum salary yet... I'm hoping for at least a $10,000 annual pay raise from my current gig.

Knowing what I do of entry level salaries for print journalists, this would mean an annual rate of approximately $10,004.61 and two free pizzas.

Knowing what I do of entry level salaries for print journalists, this would mean an annual rate of approximately $10,004.61 and two free pizzas.

If he throws in some cheesy breadsticks, I think we've got a deal.

It depends where we hear from originally. It's if a reputable source we just post it with a link to that site. If some fans are saying "X might happen", we might wait to see if anymore information comes forward. If it seems big enough I'll send an email asking for confirmation. Sometimes (though pretty infrequently) I'll get an email saying "X is happening on X. Just a heads up." And occasionally I'll get "x is happening. don't post, don't share with anyone. we'll have a release in a couple weeks". And sometimes nothing happens and it's very frustrating.

As for writing, we have a group chat on Telegram where we all chat about all the stuff going on. Usually it's a "whoever has free time and wants to write this go ahead". Occasionally I'll ask someone to write something up. If one of us reads something but doesn't have time to write it we'll just post a heads up in the chat for whoever has time. And sometimes we'll claim a story - "Dookie's anniversary is this month, I'd like to write up the post". So yeah, it's not really too structured. Since everyone is doing it on their own free time it's pretty open.

Archived