Billie Joe chats with Rolling Stone about HOF weekend and new album

Sanity Loan

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Summary for those who don't feel like reading:

• John Kiffmeyer is awesome
  • Billie Joe likes a lot of famous bands
  • No new information on an album whatsoever.
  • John Kiffmeyer is awesome

This interview is really special to me. It just seems like Billie was feeling a lot of things that we, as fans, were feeling that weekend. And that one bit.... "And I said, 'You know, it doesn't even matter. Let's just go up and have a good time. I think it would just make a lot of fans super happy.'" That's Green Day in a nutshell. That's what they do for us. And they do it really well, I can honestly say the Sweet Children set was one of the most special and happy moments of my life as a Green Day fan, despite the shitty crowd and the tiredness - seeing them together and having that vibe and playing those songs was amazing. It just makes me happy to know that he knows how special that time was for us and how happy it made fans to get that surreal setlist that night. And, it's obviously very nice to see that he and the rest of the band just enjoyed themselves so much during it.

The Hall of Fame stuff really hit the nail on the head, too. I'm so pleased to know that as surreal as it was for me to sit in a room full of actual living legends, it was surreal for them, too! And it's super cool how their performance with Ringo came to be. I really like that he thought of it and thought it was a good idea, that's a huge affirmation for Green Day as a band.

And finally.... new stuff that he's going slow with and making sure is special? Permission to squeeeeeee! :dance:

SHUT UP CEADAGH FFS.

Really nice interview, and I love how enthused and committed he sounds about making new music. Great stuff!! :)

Reading this was quite wonderful, being let into their thoughts and emotions as to what was going on at the time. Twas a special weekend, it was, for them and us. (It's kind of difficult to believe the HoB show happened 2 weeks ago already!)

Despite there not being anything about the new album and not knowing when it'll be ready, it still doesn't change ones excited anticipation for it :D

There is literally nothing about new songs there. I am disappoint

Best quote:

"A lot of the people at the show that were a bit younger were probably like, "Who the fuck is this guy?" when he walked out."

Reminds me of the old drunk who was standing right behind me who kept yelling "who are you? people have cell phones you moron?" in response to his payphone speech. :lol:

I wish they would have asked what the demos sounded like. Great interview though.

Gonna hazard a guess at fast paced pop punk songs. That covers about 85% of everything they've ever released, so it's a safe bet.

First Q&A in a while, I like it. Oddly enough, I'm not dying for a new album, so I'm actually pretty happy with this article. It's always nice to be reminded of how much of a fanboy the man is.

This was an excellent interview! It makes me happy that he had such a good time with John. I love how humble and appreciative he is about the induction too. "I don't like the thought of ever feeling like royalty, because I still feel like I'm the jester, you know?" Great line.

Gonna hazard a guess at fast paced pop punk songs. That covers about 85% of everything they've ever released, so it's a safe bet.

True, but I'm hoping they're gonna experiment a little bit on the next album.

Great interview.

The next album seems going to be the "opposite" of the trilogy. Like, each songs gonna be refined and refined.

The trilogy was more "let's release everything" I guess

Great interview.

The next album seems going to be the "opposite" of the trilogy. Like, each songs gonna be refined and refined.

The trilogy was more "let's release everything" I guess

The Trilogy was very un-refined from an editing standpoint, but the songs themselves were extremely refined, I'd argue too refined.

I think what people are looking for is an album that sounds raw, but is relatively short and focused.

There is literally nothing about new songs there. I am disappoint

Why were you expecting that?

"I can't say" actually translates to "the band is breaking up." Oh wait, are we past all of that now?

thought it was a good interview. Enjoyed hearing how surreal he felt it was. Obv his reasons were different than ours. But he still feels freaked out and in awe around people ...the same way we feel about him.

He lied tho...from what I heard people followed him to the bowling ally

It's good to read that Billie is in a healthy state of mind making new songs. I mean we already knew that, but it's always good to hear him talk about it again. I'm glad he's not rushing towards promising any dates or whatever, and I'm happy to wait out a couple years.

Excellent interview. I could feel how happy he was throughout all the questions. It's great to know that he's feeling "very fresh and invigorated" and I can't wait to know more about the songs that are coming after this (hell, even those five ones he had previously written). Oh, and Billie being such a fanboy and nervous at the ceremony was so adorable!

Also, seeing the videos from HOB, John did quite a good job considering he hadn't played drums since 1997!

I was in that bowling alley/restaurant eating literally right before they came over there because a guy who works at the hotel we were staying at recommended it. I even thought to myself, "Huh, this looks like a place the Green Day guys might like to hang out at." Still pissed that I missed them by about the span of 5 minutes and didn't find out about it until the next day. :lol:

Billie is hyping these five songs like I've been hyping the rock opera I've been writing since high school.

Great interview. Could really sense how happy and appreciative he was throughout his answers. Really was an incredible weekend - loved reading how the induction was as surreal an experience for them as I can imagine it would have been for those lucky enough to get tickets! Excited for new material but honestly, I don't mind the wait. The fact that they made the House of Blues show so special (even for us stuck at home) and were able to play with John again is enough for me right now :dance:

Archived