Every GreenDay album has been released in a pattern!

cartoonjunkie

Okay, if you'll just hear me out for a moment. I discovered why Green Day made a 'trilogy' of albums instead of just one and this is why...

The first album that Green Day relesed 1,039 Smoothed Out Slappy Hours as most of us know is actually a compilation of 3 seprate albums 39 Smooth, 1,000 Hours & Slappy, then came Kerplunk and following that was their first hit album that gave them fame Dookie!

After that it was Insomniac, Nimrod, Warning & Shenanagans and then Ta-Da!! Another hit album American Idiot!!

And recent it's been 21st Century Breakdown, Uno, Dos, Tré and now the fact that it's been mentioned that Rob Cavalo (the guy who helped produce Dookie and American Idiot) has heard some new songs from Billie confirms my theory that Green Day likes to release thier albums in a pattern in hopes that every 5th album will become another hit!!!

This is of course all just an assumption, and weather or not it's ture is still interesting to think about and makes you wonder

Thank you for your time :)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, if you'll just hear me out for a moment. I discovered why Green Day made a 'trilogy' of albums instead of just one and this is why...

The first album that Green Day relesed 1,039 Smoothed Out Slappy Hours as most of us know is actually a compilation of 3 seprate albums 39 Smooth, 1,000 Hours & Slappy, then came Kerplunk and following that was their first hit album that gave them fame Dookie!

After that it was Insomniac, Nimrod, Warning & Shenanagans and then Ta-Da!! Another hit album American Idiot!!

And recent it's been 21st Century Breakdown, Uno, Dos, Tré and now the fact that it's been mentioned that Rob Cavalo (the guy who helped produce Dookie and American Idiot) has heard some new songs from Billie confirms my theory that Green Day likes to release thier albums in a pattern in hopes that every 5th album will become another hit!!!

This is of course all just an assumption, and weather or not it's ture is still interesting to think about and makes you wonder

Thank you for your time :)

Shenanigans isn't an album it's a b side comp

It's as much of an album as ISH

Shenanigans isn't an album it's a b side comp

It's as much of an album as ISH

If anything to me Shenanigans is not that much different from the Trilogy.

They just took all the songs that didn't get into the other albums and put them all togehter and sold it as its own album, because after Dookie the band was slowly declining in sales so again I assume Shenanigans was slapped togehter as a bit of a last resort kind of thing, before American Idiot brought them back.

And the reason the Trilogy feels and sounds similar to me is that a lot of the songs sound only half done.

I think the trilogy was excellent.

I think so too, but more so only a handfull of songs rather then the whole set

you really think they plan on doing ''popular albums'' and some not and that they really plan this kind of stupid pattern? really? they didn't have a clue dookie or AI would be popular. do you really think they told themselves after AI: ahh let's release 4 albums that won't be hits so that when we release the next one after these it will be a hit, it would be like a pattern ahhahah so cool patterns hell yeah''

Nope. They only release top selling albums in years ending with 4. 1994 & 2004 they missed out on 2014 so now we have to wait until 2024 :(

:P

Nope. They only release top selling albums in years ending with 4. 1994 & 2004 they missed out on 2014 so now we have to wait until 2024 :(

EXACTLY!!

Interesting theory...heheheheh.

1000 hours and Slappy are EP's and Shennanigans is a compilation of B-sides...but I hope you're right and the next album is a gigantic hit.

Even more than that, I hope it's a great album.

How about this:

39/Smooth, Kerplunk, DOOKIE, Insomniac, Nimrod, Warning, AMERICAN IDIOT, 21st Century Breakdown, Uno, Dos, Tre...

1,2...HIT. 1,2,3...HIT. 1,2,3,4...HIT.

It's simple math. The next album will be a hit!!! hahahah

If anything to me Shenanigans is not that much different from the Trilogy.

They just took all the songs that didn't get into the other albums and put them all togehter and sold it as its own album, because after Dookie the band was slowly declining in sales so again I assume Shenanigans was slapped togehter as a bit of a last resort kind of thing, before American Idiot brought them back.

And the reason the Trilogy feels and sounds similar to me is that a lot of the songs sound only half done.

I think so too, but more so only a handfull of songs rather then the whole set

All the songs on Shenanigans were previously released on the singles and on soundtracks it's a compilation as International Superhits

And sales weren't declining Insomniac sold 10 million same with Nimrod Warning was the only one to sell under 5 million (when I said only one im only referring to the Reprise releases not the Lookout era stuff)

I love how 2 albums who have diamond status are not hits...

I think most bands would kill to have a flop that has diamond status...

I was honestly just thinking about this theory the other day and I didn't know whether to post it but obviously you beat me :D (great minds think alike haha) I sure hope that it's true!!

Interesting theory...heheheheh.

1000 hours and Slappy are EP's and Shennanigans is a compilation of B-sides...but I hope you're right and the next album is a gigantic hit.

Even more than that, I hope it's a great album.

How about this:

39/Smooth, Kerplunk, DOOKIE, Insomniac, Nimrod, Warning, AMERICAN IDIOT, 21st Century Breakdown, Uno, Dos, Tre...

1,2...HIT. 1,2,3...HIT. 1,2,3,4...HIT.

It's simple math. The next album will be a hit!!! hahahah

SEE! SEE! SEE! This is what I mean. Either way you look at it the next album will for sure be another hit!! XD

But Dookie and American Idiot were just their huge albums. Insomniac, Nimrod and even 21cb were hits, just not to the scale of Dookie and AI. So, no pattern.

Anyone album that sells 10 million is certified diamond is not a flop or a failure...

Anyone album that sells 10 million is certified diamond is not a flop or a failure...

But surely that's due to sales over time... Surely it wasn't deamed a diamond album the first few years it was released, right?

But surely that's due to sales over time... Surely it wasn't deamed a diamond album the first few years it was released, right?

Albums don't sell much after a few years...

I thought the Trilogy was going to be a lot bigger than it was. I didn't see nearly as much promo with 21stCB as I did with AI, which is why I think they stepped up their promo game for the Trilogy. They were doing a lot in August/September 2012 to promote the Trilogy. They were on the VMAs, Good Morning America, America's Got Talent, I Heart Radio festival ... really going hard at it in a short amount of time. but then Billie had that incident at I Heart Radio, and a lot of tour dates were cancelled, the rest being postponed, so he could recover. I feel like if that never happened, they would have continued to do a lot of promo for the Trilogy, and it would have been a lot more popular.

I would like to dissagree with your post. Allow me to quote myself a post of TRUTH

For those wondering what's next for a new #1 hit...

Gt3quF6.png

Tim, Insomniac sold 10 million worldwide, so technically that isn't Diamond status. But overall, I agree with you.

Archived