Kerrang reviews HoB show and history of Green Day's career

stuart_and_the_ave

Artificially shaping the discussion is what I do best. Over the last year I've just gotten so tired of GDCers being so goddamn negative about everything. It's actually a big part of me not being as active as I used to be. So I saw some potentially exciting news and read the topic and more than 50% of the conversation is about why the trilogy wasn't good or why these songs shouldn't have been selected or whatever. The way I see it, it's better to discourage the negativity and encourage the overexcitement. That's much more entertaining and interesting. I don't know where I'm going with this. Just kinda throwing my opinion around to move things in a direction I'm happier with.

I mean, maybe the reason GDCers have been more overly negative is because the most recent music Green Day's put out wasn't considered to be that great by a lot of people? I'm just theorizing, that may or may not be the case. At any rate, I think being passionate about something is often going to entail being critical of it, just as much as being excited. It's what lets us have debates about songs, and the direction of a band we all obviously care about. Being critical is, in a way, still positive, because it shows that we care enough about the band and their music for it to matter to us.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, a lot of people think I hate Green Day because I give them so much shit. How do you guys think I know how to shit talk them so well? That level of knowledge can only be gained by being a massive Green Day geek, which I pretty much am. I just don't let liking Green Day get in the way of saying something is shit.

I mean, maybe the reason GDCers have been more overly negative is because the most recent music Green Day's put out wasn't considered to be that great by a lot of people? I'm just theorizing, that may or may not be the case. At any rate, I think being passionate about something is often going to entail being critical of it, just as much as being excited. It's what lets us have debates about songs, and the direction of a band we all obviously care about. Being critical is, in a way, still positive, because it shows that we care enough about the band and their music for it to matter to us.

I get that. I can appreciate that point of view. My feelings stem more from a utopic view of how things would be. I know that tastes are subjective and everyone will feel differently about everything - I'm just so bored of the negativity. The problem is that thoughtful criticism gets blended in with the mindless trolling and it just kinda gets boring. GDC is the only place where lots of us get to talk about this one thing we enjoy, and it sucks when it feels like even that is an oppurtunity for debate. Like I make a random comment about Green Day at work and get dumb comments people have been making for decades, come home to find fans pissing on each other for liking something or not. it just really kills the fun out of all these conversations for me.

I've just gotten so tired of GDCers being so goddamn negative about everything.

Welcome to the internet Fuzz. Seriously though, I think part of it was just due to the band's inactivity. When there's nothing new to talk about it makes sense to turn to discussing and critiquing the band's work over and over again and when the last work was a commercial flop and some would argue a step back creatively, it's easy to pile on the negativity. But when we had something big and exciting to talk about, look at the outpouring of love and activity, it was awesome! All I was saying is I'll take Cavallo's enthusiasm with a grain of salt. I'm sure the stuff Billie's been working on is good (he's had time and some weighty topics to wrestle with, so I'd expect good stuff), but Cavallo has a vested interest in building hype, and I just didn't take that into account the last time he said something similar. So I'll take what he has to say into account and just remember that he's been wrong before and keep faith that the boys will deliver when they're ready.

lulz. I love how I post the picture of Rob's comment and get no response, then someone else posts the same exact picture an hour later, and gets 11 likes.

tumblr_lmfps0rUec1qbyyxq.gif

Thanks for stealing my thunder, Akshat! :P Totally kidding. In all seriousness, feel free to delete my original post so we don't have double.

There's nothing wrong with being cautious. We got super pumped for the trilogy/99 Revs tour and look how that turned out. It's not being negative just for the sake of being negative, it's just being realistic!

And the only reason we care enough to critique is because we care at all. I obviously fucking love this band.

Everyone will always have their favourite albums and those albums they like slightly less.

However the fact that new songs exist and are at a stage where Billie is sharing them can only be great news. Especially after a weird few days where people were getting worried about the band breaking up.

Rob Cavallo deserves nothing but respect and praise. You can't discount his opinion after he produced one album you disliked, whilst conveniently ignoring the fact that he produced all the other albums you love.

"But most of all, I have to thank Rob Cavallo. We've only worked with two producers in our entire career, and Butch Vig did one record, so thank you, Butch. Rob, he did all of them. So thank you so much, and I really feel like you're a brother. We're kindred spirits in the fact that we can sit around and play songs all day long together, and to speak in that language I just love to talk about it with you. And we'll talk about it later. Thank you, Rob." - Billie Joe RRHOF induction.

Everyone has to be happy with the fact that Rob said they have new songs. I mean, what is he really going to say: "Billie demoed 5 songs for me, 2 are pretty good, but 3 suck". Of course he is going to say they are great. Maybe they need work, maybe they don't, that is for them to figure out. The big thing to take from this is, THEY ARE WORKING!!!

Before I get started, I want to say thank you thank you thank you for scanning these pages for us! :)

Yeah, I'm not sure I can trust Cavallo's judgement either. It was said that the Trilogy would "blow their minds", but in the end it was just meh, not bad and far from mindblowing. Of course he isn't gonna say anything else, but maybe if he thought the new songs were anything less than fantastic, he would have just kept quiet. Maybe he was trying to reassure us, like "they're not going anywhere, don't worry", but on the other hand he might have been very enthusiastic about the new songs and happy to finally get started again. I really don't know what to think about this.

However, I'm underwhelmed by the news. I thought I would be more ecstatic, because hey, he just hinted that my favourite band who's last album came out three years ago was making process.

I think I'm just worried that the next album will be Trilogy-standard.

While the trilogy was good (but not more) in my opinion, I really don't need another Uno-Dos-Tré, because that was just mediocre :(

I hope they can kindle my faith once again with a "fantastic" record :lol:

(I also hope they won't edit it too much and just leave Billie's voice be)

And Kerrang, please..

tumblr_inline_nn9h7wvFZX1r24lmr_540.jpg

He said LITTLE while :D Please don't stir up more shit ;D

Even Brutal Love?

It isn't bad, it just seems like the main part at the begginning just seems rather drawn out, but it could be that i've just listened to it too many times and have gotten a little tired of it. I mean there was a time when it was like my 3rd or 4th favorite album of theirs. I thoroughly enjoyed every song but the production i think just ruins all of the trilogy over time. It could have worked as a double album with more demolicious type sound and a 2nd foxboro album as another side project.

Maybe we should wait to actually hear any new material before judging what anyone's saying about it at this stage. I'm sure Rob knows what he's talking about, but personally I don't give a fuck what he or anyone else thinks is good. That won't have any impact on the opinion I'll form when I hear the songs.

It's also worth pointing out that if he's only heard five songs they'll be the ones Billie has picked out of an inevitably large collection of new material, so he must think they're good himself.

Maybe we should wait to actually hear any new material before judging what anyone's saying about it at this stage. I'm sure Rob knows what he's talking about, but personally I don't give a fuck what he or anyone else thinks is good. That won't have any impact on the opinion I'll form when I hear the songs.

It's also worth pointing out that if he's only heard five songs they'll be the ones Billie has picked out of an inevitably large collection of new material, so he must think they're good himself.

Yes, but you're also talking about the frontman of a band who decided to release 37 songs because he couldn't narrow them down, so ... :lol:

At this point idgaf either, but it's more because I think it's more empty noise from Green Day-land (or Kerrang-land), and I'm used to that. I'll believe that the songs are ready for public consumption after I've heard them!

I was there. He definitely said LONG.

Definitely sounded like "little" to me :confused:

I love how it's always the same roles that people take in debating new stuff :lol: Not criticizing anyone, just observing, cause it's interesting.

There's always someone who's unhappy, someone who's excited for the new stuff no matter what, someone who's cautious about getting excited, someone who says "let's wait to judge until it comes out," and of course the occasional troll.

If I ever go back to school, I'm going to write my dissertation on this shit, cause it's always just the same handful of viewpoints. Very rare that anyone says anything that hasn't been expressed in a previous debate, and I say that fully aware that I'm part of the discussion.

he said Lyle he was talking about his friend

he said Lyle he was talking about his friend

that explains everything

People hear what they want to hear. He also had tears in his eyes when he said it, which kinda edges towards long.

People hear what they want to hear. He also had tears in his eyes when he said it, which kinda edges towards long.

I have listened to two or three different recordings and it always sounds like "little", I'm not making that up.

A little while could mean anything, could mean three years or six months

New songs means new tour. This is all I care about. :D
Also, I'm very optimistic for their next record because everything is great lately.
There's no need for negativity. They just entered the HOF and they gave amazing performances.
Billie is healthier than ever and the whole band seems happy.

OBVIOUSLY NOT, MOD.

don't make me smack your ass with a ban hammer

Archived