1,039/Smoothed out slappy hours Remaster

Noahhaon

I love1,039/Smoothed out slappy hours, but the quality is just so.. They sound so far away you know? So I was searching for a better version of the album, and a friend of mine says that the USA remaster sounds better.

Is that true, and does such a remaster exist? Or a fan remaster for that matter.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the "2003 remaster" on CD and it sounds like the audio is just louder to me.

I have the "2003 remaster" on CD and it sounds like the audio is just louder to me.

So the "far away" effect is still there?

So the "far away" effect is still there?

I don't know, I haven't really listened to the original version much but I do have the original CD too, so I can check.

It all starts with the way it was recorded (environment, microphones, recording medium, etc). For the low-budget band they were and considering it was the late '80s/early '90s, we can't expect anything to be better than what we have now.

Which version do you have right now? On the original it wasn't that loud, so maybe that's that problem..?

I'll try my best to "re-master" it for you guys and put it on the YouToob seen as though it's not allowed here...

No remastering is going to make it sound any better than what it does now...

Yeah but attempting to get multitracks by phasing and then re-mixing may sound better than it does now... please feel free to shoot me down.

Yeah but attempting to get multitracks by phasing and then re-mixing may sound better than it does now... please feel free to shoot me down.

DIY multi tracks? Eh imo won't make it sound better

Not shooting you down tho if you do it feel free to upload it

Sorry man, I've tried extracting anything I can but with 39/smooth and kerplunk it's not possible. Too much echo/reverb making it leak into the other channels.

The only real difference is that the remasters are louder

I mean, that's what mastering is, mostly. Making a song sound bigger and louder. But it's working with the established mix. The whole thing would need to be re-recorded, honestly. It's not like Death Magnetic or American Idiot, where the sound errors were a result of how it was mastered (over-compression). Green Day's first two albums were recorded using bad equipment, and there's not much we can do to fix that.

The only real difference is that the remasters are louder

True but the sound will still sound far away

Thanks guys, the remaster is indd only a little louder, so cranking up the volume of the original did the same.

I think it would be cool for them to overall re-record 39/Smooth and Kerplunk. It would be cool to see how a trilogy sounding "Android" would be.

I think it would be cool for them to overall re-record 39/Smooth and Kerplunk. It would be cool to see how a trilogy sounding "Android" would be.

I totally agree, or a CD collection with demo's etc, unreleased material. Although I do not think that the clean trilogy sounds fit the old material

I totally agree, or a CD collection with demo's etc, unreleased material. Although I do not think that the clean trilogy sounds fit the old material

I could see some acoustic versions sounding pretty good.

Ooh, I haven't listened to those versions in forever!

Were those acoustic versions for the "Studio Banter" thing? I keep forgetting.

Ooh, I haven't listened to those versions in forever!

Were those acoustic versions for the "Studio Banter" thing? I keep forgetting.

I think the Paper Lanterns acoustic was for some radio show back in 1991 or something. I haven't heard any other acoustics from pre-Dookie though, so I don't know if there are any others or, if there are, where they came from. I just know of the Paper Lanterns one because it helped me learn the guitar part. :P

I think the Paper Lanterns acoustic was for some radio show back in 1991 or something. I haven't heard any other acoustics from pre-Dookie though, so I don't know if there are any others or, if there are, where they came from. I just know of the Paper Lanterns one because it helped me learn the guitar part. :P

Just checked. There was also Words I Might Have Ate and One For the Razorbacks for the same radio show.

Well, Words I Might Have Ate is acoustic in the first place, so maybe that counts.

But let me just say, I want to see 1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours on vinyl and 39/Smooth on CD. I don't know, I just always wanted wanted 1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours on vinyl if it's already on CD and 39/Smooth on CD if it's already on vinyl.

Paper Lanterns, One for the Razorbacks, and Words I Might Have Ate from 1991. 2000 Light Years Away was done acoustic in 2009. Christie Road and One of My Lies by Billie in 98 too.

Archived