Matt.

2015/04/16 - House of Blues, Cleveland, Ohio, USA

captain peroxide

I'm so sorry you had to go to Cleveland. :(:lol:

But no, it's not bad at all! I'm realizing more and more that, to me, concerts aren't entirely about the music. Although I loved hearing several songs from my "I must hear this before I die" list — Waiting, Stuart and the Ave, Paper Lanters, 2000LYA, Are We The Waiting, etc. — I think the best part of concerts for me is being able to see these guys that I idolize so much actually alive and breathing in front of me. Sure, some of it has to do with infatuation, but it's really just an indescribable feeling.

I am too :(

And yeah, tt's like seeing fictional characters come to life, in a way. We see them in movies and on TV, and I think it's almost like they're not real. And then you go to a show, and suddenly, there they are. It's an insane feeling, but it's so cool. I get it at every show I go to. I remember when I saw AC/DC in London, and I was just thinking "these guys are legends, completely culturally ubiquitous, and they're real and standing right in front of me." It blew my mind.

Mar

John gave a shoutout to my city and I cheered really obnoxiously no shame :toocool:

AlissaGoesRAWR

And yeah, tt's like seeing fictional characters come to life, in a way. We see them in movies and on TV, and I think it's almost like they're not real. And then you go to a show, and suddenly, there they are. It's an insane feeling, but it's so cool. I get it at every show I go to.

I've only seen them twice, counting last week, so it's all still so surreal to me. Like, I'm thoroughly convinced that the picture of Billie Joe looking at me on the red carpet barrier is photoshopped, because he doesn't exist IRL. :P

I was discussing this with Kay a few days ago, but I have no idea what's it's like to actually experience a "normal" Green Day tour. My only two shows are this one, which is fucking legendary, and the March 31, 2013, Pittsburgh show from the trilogy tour, which I never thought would even happen. I was originally supposed to go to Cleveland but the show got cancelled, and I got the Pittsburgh tickets last minute. And then at that show they played Good Riddance for the first time that tour and I was just a sobbing, weeping mess by the end of it, because that was how I always pictured my first Green Day concert ending! It was surreal. Just like this past weekend. Basically, both shows I've been to have been super emotionally charged for me. I have no idea what to expect if they ever tour again! My expectations are waaaay too high! :happy:

John gave a shoutout to my city and I cheered really obnoxiously no shame :toocool:

Omg yes, that was AMAZING! :lol:

captain peroxide

I've only seen them twice, counting last week, so it's all still so surreal to me. Like, I'm thoroughly convinced that the picture of Billie Joe looking at me on the red carpet barrier is photoshopped, because he doesn't exist IRL. :P

I was discussing this with Kay a few days ago, but I have no idea what's it's like to actually experience a "normal" Green Day tour. My only two shows are this one, which is fucking legendary, and the March 31, 2013, Pittsburgh show from the trilogy tour, which I never thought would even happen. I was originally supposed to go to Cleveland but the show got cancelled, and I got the Pittsburgh tickets last minute. And then at that show they played Good Riddance for the first time that tour and I was just a sobbing, weeping mess by the end of it, because that was how I always pictured my first Green Day concert ending! It was surreal. Just like this past weekend. Basically, both shows I've been to have been super emotionally charged for me. I have no idea what to expect if they ever tour again! My expectations are waaaay too high! :happy:

Oh, I meant just shows in general. I've only ever been to two Green Day shows, myself! Denver in 2010, and Moline in 2013. I was saying to Carling a while ago that I need to see more than one show on the next tour because 2 is not enough :lol:

I have what might be an unpopular opinion, but I prefer seeing Green Day at a massive venue. I don't think their routine translates well into a small club environment. Don't get me wrong, it was very special to see them like that and I appreciated it, but I would rather see them rocking a stadium.

AlissaGoesRAWR

Oh, I meant just shows in general. I've only ever been to two Green Day shows, myself! Denver in 2010, and Moline in 2013. I was saying to Carling a while ago that I need to see more than one show on the next tour because 2 is not enough :lol:

Oh, I plan on going to more than one, too! I got a late start at concert-going, thanks to my sheltering family, so I need to catch up! :lol:

I have what might be an unpopular opinion, but I prefer seeing Green Day at a massive venue. I don't think their routine translates well into a small club environment. Don't get me wrong, it was very special to see them like that and I appreciated it, but I would rather see them rocking a stadium.

Yup, I had my moment to experience it, and I'm grateful for that, but I agree! I felt more connected to Mike at this show, definitely, which was great, but Billie Joe makes minimal eye contact regardless of if you're at a small show or a big one! So I'd gladly trade being close for being able to fucking breathe! :lol:

AlissaGoesRAWR

and i'm the opposite :P having seen them in a small club now i don't ever want to see them in a stadium again! i mean obviously i do and i will but the closeness and the connection with the crowd and the feeling that anything could happen is something that can never really be translated to their bigger stadium shows. i always get the feeling the band really, really love playing these smaller shows too so i would love for them to do a club tour or something.

You also had a barrier to hang onto for half the show! :P

captain peroxide

To be fair, pits can be awful at bigger shows, too. The pit at the Moline show was one of the roughest I've been in, and I've seen a lot of shows.

Mary711

To be fair, pits can be awful at bigger shows, too. The pit at the Moline show was one of the roughest I've been in, and I've seen a lot of shows.

Oh really? The pit in Moline was one of the softest for me. I had barrier and my boyfriend right behind me so maybe I can't judge.

captain peroxide

Oh really? The pit in Moline was one of the softest for me. I had barrier and my boyfriend right behind me so maybe I can't judge.

It may have varied throughout the pit. Matt, Jack, and I started on the Mike side around 10 rows back. By halfway through the show, I was right in front of Billie, about 4 rows back, and I was getting crushed. At one point, I was lifted and moved a few feet, and I'm a big guy.

pits at bigger shows are tolerable though because you can always escape by going to the edges or moving further back, but you still get an okay view of what's happening. I had to leave the floor entirely with this because it was so packed and rough, and it was difficult to find a good spot again due to how the venue was set up.

The venue was really weird, too, it was lit strangely and had no markings over the stairs and I nearly fell down unexpected little flights of stairs several times. It was difficult to navigate and there was nowhere near enough staff around.

iScottie

Not sure if posted, but full Private Ale!

• Like 3

W Axl Rose

Not sure what I can say that hasn't been said already. This was probably my favorite Green Day show since either 1995 or 2004 when they did the four shows where AI was played live in it's entirety of which I was lucky enough to see two in small venues in Toronto and NYC. I have an extra ticket from the HOB that I will mail (in the United States) to someone who collects these kind of things. I will pick a random name from all of the people who like this post in one week and send you the ticket.

• Like 2

Mykee Mexx

and i'm the opposite :P having seen them in a small club now i don't ever want to see them in a stadium again! i mean obviously i do and i will but the closeness and the connection with the crowd and the feeling that anything could happen is something that can never really be translated to their bigger stadium shows. i always get the feeling the band really, really love playing these smaller shows too so i would love for them to do a club tour or something.

Buuuuut... BJ´s love confession to you (probably due to the closeness and connection) was the reason why he had to assure his wife and the audience at HoF that he will stay married to Adi for the rest of his life. :) Therefore he might play only big venues from now on for not being tempted again. :acute:

Nevertheless - you are my hero! :D

Iva

I love Brandon

Sodomistic love triangles FOR THE WIN.

• Like 1

AlissaGoesRAWR

tessthegreatt

2 days ago· House of Blues Cleveland
When @billiejoearmstrong stopped the show to make sure everything was ok ❤️ #allourdads #sweetchildren #greenday #hobcleveland #fbf

https://instagram.com/p/13rO8_M5Jr/

Hannaaaaah, someone's trying to pretend BJA was talking to THEM and not you! :mad:

• Like 2

desertrose

tessthegreatt

1 week ago· House of Blues Cleveland

I beg to dream & differ from the hollow lies ✊ #holiday #greenday #hobcleveland

https://instagram.com/p/1lt5kQM5Ir/

tessthegreatt

1 week ago· House Of Blues, Cleveland, OH

Sweet Children play "Sweet Children" @billiejoearmstrong @mike_dosxx #sweetchildren #hobcleveland #johnkiffmeyer #greenday

https://instagram.com/p/1lP-CRM5Pl/

10729288_1590587807892962_1224323159_n.j

tessthegreatt

1 week ago· House of Blues Cleveland Ohio
John Kiffmeyer came out of hiding to resurrect Sweet Children for the 1st time since '89 #johnkiffmeyer #alsobrante #sweetchildren #hobcleveland #oggreenday

Matt.

Chicago the night before was worse

captain peroxide

I forgot you went to that, you bastard :lol:

Mary711

Not for me. :lol:

JDokinori

It must have been so surreal to perform with John as Sweet Children and then play as Green Day, almost like it all came full circle. It's heart-warming to see that they're good friends and that they paid tribute to John during the induction too.

'Look how far we've come.'

BillieJoeObsesser

The Chicago one was pretty brutal, but the worst I could recall myself being in was when they played Lollapalooza and sat in 2 or 3 pits before they came on.

• Like 2

Ritz

Alissa, you're videos were very enjoyable! The Sweet Children intro was hilarious!

Thanks for doing that for us. :D:hug:

Or wait, should I thank Brandon? xD

• Like 1

AlissaGoesRAWR

Alissa, you're videos were very enjoyable! The Sweet Children intro was hilarious!

Thanks for doing that for us. :D:hug:

Or wait, should I thank Brandon? xD

You're very welcome! I'll pass along the message (or you can tell him on Facebook), but Brandon recorded all the videos but two. I did Paper Lanterns because it's my favorite song and I wanted to make sure it was recorded, as well as At the Library. It started getting too rough for me to record though and since Brandon is taller and has a better phone camera, he made sure to record the intros for both bands and "whatever song made me jump up and down, squeal, flail my arms and/or cry when they started playing." I was like, uh, isn't that everything? :lol:

I really, really loved Sweet Children. Like, seeing the band that carefree with nothing to prove or lose was really refreshing, and John Kiffmeyer is a fucking legend. He was so damn entertaining. I'd love if they played together again, but I think it's likely it was just a one-time thing, and I'm so happy my home state and favorite venue played host. I was very lucky. :)

• Like 1