Will Billie Joe Armstrong's Singing Voice Recover?

LostHighway

Agreed, he sounds rather thin. But how can I take one show, or even a few, to state his voice got worse. Maybe his own state got worse, but his voice...?

I'm not saying that his voice got damaged for ever. He was out of shape and so was his voice. I have no medical knowledge on the topic so I can't tell if drugs/alcohol damage vocal chords so I just hope it's not the case. It increases the risk of developing tumors though so it apparently does no good for them.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not saying that his voice got damaged for ever. He was out of shape and so was his voice. I have no medical knowledge on the topic so I can't tell if drugs/alcohol damage vocal chords so I just hope it's not the case. It increases the risk of developing tumors though so it apparently does no good for them.

My voice sounds bad when I´m in a smoker´s room. It sounds bad when I´m too tired. It sounds weak when it´s strained too much. It sounds totally different when I have a cold. It probably would sound like shit if I ever was stoned or drunk. Sure, many factors influence voice and health. No doubt about it. Sure he had a time when he was out of shape, everyone knows it. But what are we talking about? Some say, he´s performing/singing better when he´s drunk. Some say, since rehab his voice got worse. Some say, his voice is out of shape because he drank too much. Others say his voice/singing/performing is okay, whether he´s drunk or not. Next think, his voice didn´t lose power, neither before nor after rehab. And I personally think, his voice still sounds good to me, depending on his mood and shape and health and abuse or not abuse. But I don´t see a development of his voice to the worse in general, may it be due to age or drinking/not drinking. He´s having good times and bad times, like anyone. And the voice mirrors it sometimes. Well, after HoF we may know more.

I remember some of the rock singers from the 80"s getting nodes on their vocal chords because of the way they sang/screamed. some of them even lost their voice and couldnt sing or didn't sing as well as before. At least he didn't have that problem. It could be career ending. Maybe not all of his performances were the best but we all have off days.

My voice sounds bad when I´m in a smoker´s room. It sounds bad when I´m too tired. It sounds weak when it´s strained too much. It sounds totally different when I have a cold. It probably would sound like shit if I ever was stoned or drunk. Sure, many factors influence voice and health. No doubt about it. Sure he had a time when he was out of shape, everyone knows it. But what are we talking about? Some say, he´s performing/singing better when he´s drunk. Some say, since rehab his voice got worse. Some say, his voice is out of shape because he drank too much. Others say his voice/singing/performing is okay, whether he´s drunk or not. Next think, his voice didn´t lose power, neither before nor after rehab. And I personally think, his voice still sounds good to me, depending on his mood and shape and health and abuse or not abuse. But I don´t see a development of his voice to the worse in general, may it be due to age or drinking/not drinking. He´s having good times and bad times, like anyone. And the voice mirrors it sometimes. Well, after HoF we may know more.

All right, sometimes we're picking nits. Whatever he's been going through has taken it's toll on his voice. Hopefuĺlly everthing will be okie-dookie from now on.

At this point I don't care what he sounds like as long as he gets on stage and sings something and looks good while he's doing it.

At this point I don't care what he sounds like as long as he gets on stage and sings something and looks good while he's doing it.

I want him to sound beautifully as well :D

???

Singers in the 80's weren't the only who had problems Davey Havok of AFI and M Shadows have also admitted to having problems that led to surgery. That being said I don't think Billie's having that kind of a problem.

All right, sometimes we're picking nits. Whatever he's been going through has taken it's toll on his voice. Hopefuĺlly everthing will be okie-dookie from now on.

I´m with you. :)

I'm not saying it would've been impossible for some eagle-eyed people to see signs of something wrong before he went to rehab, but the fact remains that people weren't coming back from those shows complaining about his performances and there were no negative comments about his voice on here. Like, everyone enjoyed the shows and the quality of his voice didn't even come up for discussion. So it can't have been that bad! Don't think I've even seen an example of his "bad" voice from 2012 posted (other than iHeart).

I actually remember people going on about how particularly "on fire" and amazing he was at the Irving Plaza show. :lol: It was obvious something was wrong by then but people still weren't complaining about his voice or anything else like that.

I actually remember people going on about how particularly "on fire" and amazing he was at the Irving Plaza show. :lol: It was obvious something was wrong by then but people still weren't complaining about his voice or anything else like that.

Isn't the argument after iheart/rehab....

Isn't the argument after iheart/rehab....

No apparently before and after was bad :lol:

No apparently before and after was bad :lol:

Ok I am not trying to prolong the thread because he sounded fine to me 3 x last year.

To sum up. Last we heard, he sounded great and we know he looks great. All is good. I can't wait for the rock hall performance.

When I saw him in 2012 - my first and only time I ever saw this band live - I just thought he´s hyperactive with way too much energy. Seeing him jump and run and scream without a break caught my attention. He really got my head spinning. And to me his voice was absolutely strong, powerful, alive, just as I expected and hoped it to be. Fantastic show. Left before the end, though, because I was down and out, having been in the mosh and among all these crazy people screaming and hopping. Great time. Listened to 99 Revolutions outside, sitting on a stone, exhausted and happy, and just thought what amazing power he has. :)

And yes, this was a few days (2 or 3 I guess) before the band had to cancel shows in Italy. By that time I didn´t wonder that he was feeling sick because I thought he had overdone himself. Only found out later that other things were going on...

When I saw him in 2012 - my first and only time I ever saw this band live - I just thought he´s hyperactive with way too much energy. Seeing him jump and run and scream without a break caught my attention. He really got my head spinning. And to me his voice was absolutely strong, powerful, alive, just as I expected and hoped it to be. Fantastic show. Left before the end, though, because I was down and out, having been in the mosh and among all these crazy people screaming and hopping. Great time. Listened to 99 Revolutions outside, sitting on a stone, exhausted and happy, and just thought what amazing power he has. :)

And yes, this was a few days (2 or 3 I guess) before the band had to cancel shows in Italy. By that time I didn´t wonder that he was feeling sick because I thought he had overdone himself. Only found out later that other things were going on...

It's not confirmed that it was anything else though. I remember he canceled in melboune once.

Irving plaza was amazing. The set list was perfect and even though I don't particularly enjoy watching shortly-pre-rehab Billie it's one of my favorites.

It's not confirmed that it was anything else though. I remember he canceled in melboune once.

They claimed it was food poisoning. I doubt it could be anything drug related.

Irving plaza was amazing. The set list was perfect and even though I don't particularly enjoy watching shortly-pre-rehab Billie it's one of my favorites. They claimed it was food poisoning. I doubt it could be anything drug related.

Yeah that's what I meant. Melbourne he performed the night after cancelling.

They claimed it was food poisoning. I doubt it could be anything drug related.

I don´t know, not sure about it. Looking at the time between trilogy and rehab it´s just in between. So, rumours grew quickly...

I don´t know, not sure about it. Looking at the time between trilogy and rehab it´s just in between. So, rumours grew quickly...

I believe it. You get dehydrated really easily when you drink so it makes sense.

I believe it. You get dehydrated really easily when you drink so it makes sense.

On the other hand... I once was taken to hospital with siren and blue lights (really drrrrramatic) because of a breakdown. Totally dehydrated, and I just had coffee and a glass of champagne. But no meal. And broke down on the banks of the river Elbe. So, yes, you get easily dehydrated, doesn´t take much, not even much alcohol.

• 1 year later...

Archived