Will Billie Joe Armstrong's Singing Voice Recover?

LostHighway

Do you know why autotune is hated so much, whereas filters seem to be okay? Can I - as a mere consumer of music - recognize autotune? And what exactly does autotuning? Sorry, I´m a complete layman...

Here's an example of autotune

http://youtu.be/Yv1xbhfAOds

It's for correcting off key notes but it escp in higher setting leaves a robotic tone

Filters can be delay or reverb or echo leaves different sounding results depending on which effect is used which setting etc Billie likes to use reverb as the main filter

Filters aren't looked down because ALL vocals going thru the mixing stage will be filtered to some degree as naked vocals would sound dull in most cases

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you, Tim, that was a help! Can´t listen to the video, though, it´s blocked in Germany...

Thank you, Tim, that was a help! Can´t listen to the video, though, it´s blocked in Germany...

If you ever heard Kanye's song Heartless or Love Lockdown

Or Cher's "I believe in love after love" song that's autotune

In my opinion, Green Day has never had a problem with sounding bad. As far as vocals, guitar, bass and drums they are at the top of their game, simply from years of experience. The only thing Green Day needs to improve is promotion. I like the idea of them trying to do something special with each release and it not just being "another album". Billie Joe's voice is amazing, and even at rock bottom with pills and alcohol the man still sounds darn good. I heart radio was probably the worst performance I've ever seen as far as his voice, but even then, it was a great show overall. His voice is awesome. It was awesome when he was 5 years old singing "Look for Love" and it's awesome now nearly 40 years later.

Autotune makes her sound like a horse during the chorus...

It does, but I still love Cher. :wub:

An example of Billie, post 2012, no autotune. He sounds fine to me (and his hair is fluffly).

If you ever heard Kanye's song Heartless or Love Lockdown

Or Cher's "I believe in love after love" song that's autotune

Yes, I see (hear). Think so. I listened to Love Lockdown, both, live and studio, and it both has auto tune, it seems to me? Sounds somewhat metallic or as you said robotic.

Autotune makes her sound like a horse during the chorus...

Haha, true. But this is on purpose, isn´t it?

He sounds fine to me (and his hair is fluffly).

That´s what it´s all about, isn´t it. :D And the whole gig is awesome!

When I saw Green Day live for the first time (almost 2 years ago now, time flies) I didn't even notice the goodness/badness of his singing. I just enjoyed that 2h and a half show which still is the best moment of my life.

One: I love Billie's voice just how it is. I don't understand why people think he sounds abysmal. Harsh word, right? I have yet to hear a horrendous vocal performance from him. Even if he does sound bad at times, that's to be expected! Can't sound perfect for every show.

Two: who gives a shit if he uses autotune or not?! the fact that he sounds almost identical to the recordings when singing live (most of the time), shows how great his voice is.

One: I love Billie's voice just how it is. I don't understand why people think he sounds abysmal. Harsh word, right? I have yet to hear a horrendous vocal performance from him.

I know this was pages ago, but I would just like to say that I knew something was wrong with Billie long before he went to rehab. His vocals were much more shit on the trilogy promotional shows he did than they were on the 21CBD tour, this is just a fact. He was also coming off like a complete fucking loon the entire time.

Obviously, I can't prove my claims of unease because I unfortunately wasn't inflicting my presence on GDC at the time, but I noticed to the point that I was nervous about getting the tickets I got when they announced the tour - and with good reason, it turns out: one show I had tickets to was completely cancelled, the other was rescheduled. It was a massive pain in my ass and something I still get quite annoyed over when I think about it. I lost over $500 on non-refundable flights and hotel rooms.

I know this was pages ago, but I would just like to say that I knew something was wrong with Billie long before he went to rehab. His vocals were much more shit on the trilogy promotional shows he did than they were on the 21CBD tour, this is just a fact. He was also coming off like a complete fucking loon the entire time.

Obviously, I can't prove my claims of unease because I unfortunately wasn't inflicting my presence on GDC at the time, but I noticed to the point that I was nervous about getting the tickets I got when they announced the tour - and with good reason, it turns out: one show I had tickets to was completely cancelled, the other was rescheduled. It was a massive pain in my ass and something I still get quite annoyed over when I think about it. I lost over $500 on non-refundable flights and hotel rooms.

I thought something was wrong, too and let's face it, you're right - he sounded much worse. No wonder he did so. He must've been miserable. The rehab stint was a massive bummer as well as cancelling shows, your losing your money etc. but honestly I'm glad he didn't keep touring. He'd just suck more and more.

I'm not saying it would've been impossible for some eagle-eyed people to see signs of something wrong before he went to rehab, but the fact remains that people weren't coming back from those shows complaining about his performances and there were no negative comments about his voice on here. Like, everyone enjoyed the shows and the quality of his voice didn't even come up for discussion. So it can't have been that bad! Don't think I've even seen an example of his "bad" voice from 2012 posted (other than iHeart).

Well, here's a pro-recorded audio from one of the pre-release shows, and, let's be honest, Nuclear Family is not a difficult song to sing. Yet here he's barely in key, and his breath control is nothing short of disastrous.

I think people were just really happy to have Green Day back and really excited about it. I was excited, too, until the heavy promotions for the Trilogy started. The band seemed over-worked, their chemistry seemed off, Billie looked and sounded like shit, then there was the hospitalization in Italy, then of course iHeart and the shit really hitting the fan. The band as a whole and Billie in particular just felt very off to me. Honestly, the more shows they did pre-rehab, the worse of a feeling I got about it all.

Ehhhh, at least he got treatment though, and they've had a couple of years now to disconnect and do their own things/deal with their own shit. I hope if they do another album he'll pick up some voice lessons, they'll focus on quality over quantity, and that they won't drive themselves into the ground with promotions, shows, etc.

I'm not saying it would've been impossible for some eagle-eyed people to see signs of something wrong before he went to rehab, but the fact remains that people weren't coming back from those shows complaining about his performances and there were no negative comments about his voice on here. Like, everyone enjoyed the shows and the quality of his voice didn't even come up for discussion. So it can't have been that bad! Don't think I've even seen an example of his "bad" voice from 2012 posted (other than iHeart).

He did sound noticeably different, though. Or maybe people assumed was just buried in the mix. The guitars sounded very different too.

Well, here's a pro-recorded audio from one of the pre-release shows, and, let's be honest, Nuclear Family is not a difficult song to sing. Yet here he's barely in key, and his breath control is nothing short of disastrous.

Ehh, again I don't see what's so bad about it. It's an energetic show in a little place and he'd probably had a few drinks, pretty sure there's been times on most tours when he's been a bit out of breath in that situation. If he was previously always note perfect with exemplary breathing control at all times it might've been more noticeable but he wasn't, he's never been a perfect singer.

Barely in key, bad breath control, bad singing... sorry, no, I don´t hear it... Or we have different opinions of a voice out of key and control. It´s not his best appearance, but it still sounds fine to me. For me it´s not at all a hint how bad his voice or singing got, and much farer away from being abysmal. I really don´t understand all this complaining...

Yes but his voice sounded really thin back then. He wasn't perfect before but had a much more powerful voice therefore his imperfections were more bearable.

I've seen that before and it's one of the few performances I was referring to where his vocals were pretty bad but I don't think it was abysmal. & like I said, he's not going to sound perfect all the time.

Yes but his voice sounded really thin back then. He wasn't perfect before but had a much more powerful voice therefore his imperfections were more bearable.

Agreed, he sounds rather thin. But how can I take one show, or even a few, to state his voice got worse. Maybe his own state got worse, but his voice...?

I've seen that before and it's one of the few performances I was referring to where his vocals were pretty bad but I don't think it was abysmal. & like I said, he's not going to sound perfect all the time.

By my standards he sounds angelic. By a professional singer's standards he sounds atrocious. It's all relative.

By my standards he sounds angelic. By a professional singer's standards he sounds atrocious. It's all relative.

"Hobo Billie Joe" sounded pretty angelic to me.

Archived