Will Billie Joe Armstrong's Singing Voice Recover?

LostHighway

For me billie joe still has a great voice, but it's changed a lot over the 20+ years Green Day have been around

At the time of writing, I'm listening to 1039/ smoothed out slappy hours and obviously he sounds different to the newer releases.

His voice certainly took a hit around the time he went to rehab, it was noticeably dodgy during the iheart radio performance, but it's now back to its best

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me billie joe still has a great voice, but it's changed a lot over the 20+ years Green Day have been around

Sure it changed. Natural. Everybody´s voice changes with age.

Sure it changed. Natural. Everybody´s voice changes with age.

That's precisely my point, most singers' voices deteriorate with age, but billie-joes has just became more mature

That's precisely my point, most singers' voices deteriorate with age, but billie-joes has just became more mature

Just as Tina Turner´s. :)

As far as Billie's guitar playing, the type of music he plays doesn't call for anything super technical. However, palm muting is so important to punk music and he is pretty damn good at it. I know it sounds easy, but I find it difficult. Plus, just because something is simple does not mean it is not good.

Also, I'm pretty darn proud to be a fangirl because I am really damn good at it. :D

What I find funny about BJ´s singing is that he is anxious to not to sing "h"´s, when he holds a vocal. I don´t know the technical or professional term for it. E.g., when singing "Saint" (as in "She´s a rebel"), he is singing "Sa-a-aint". I know many singers who would intone "Sa-ha-haint", ´cause it´s somewhat easier to stretch a vocal like this, I guess. BJ almost never does it. I like it, though it sometimes sounds a bit strained, but it always strikes me.

What I find funny about BJ´s singing is that he is anxious to not to sing "h"´s, when he holds a vocal. I don´t know the technical or professional term for it. E.g., when singing "Saint" (as in "She´s a rebel"), he is singing "Sa-a-aint". I know many singers who would intone "Sa-ha-haint", ´cause it´s somewhat easier to stretch a vocal like this, I guess. BJ almost never does it. I like it, though it sometimes sounds a bit strained, but it always strikes me.

I guess that auto tune helps him pull that off. Auto tune was used on American Idiot, just listen to Wake Me Up When September Ends. Personally I think it's a bit disrespectful to his dad to be dishonest when recording a loving tribute to him.

As far as Billie's guitar playing, the type of music he plays doesn't call for anything super technical. However, palm muting is so important to punk music and he is pretty damn good at it. I know it sounds easy, but I find it difficult. Plus, just because something is simple does not mean it is not good.

Also, I'm pretty darn proud to be a fangirl because I am really damn good at it. :D

I can shit. That's simple. My complex sphincter maneuvers really help me to pass a good shit.

I guess that auto tune helps him pull that off. Auto tune was used on American Idiot, just listen to Wake Me Up When September Ends. Personally I think it's a bit disrespectful to his dad to be dishonest when recording a loving tribute to him.

oh for f*** sake sorry. disrespectful wtf

oh for f*** sake sorry. disrespectful wtf

Yeah, although not quite as disrespectful as when he wished that a man died of cancer.

Obvious troll is obvious.

Just because you don't agree with me. Autotune was used on the American Idiot Album. I know you don't like to hear it, but it's true. I will link you to an article if you don't believe me.

Yeah, although not quite as disrespectful as when he wished that a man died of cancer.

Just because you don't agree with me. Autotune was used on the American Idiot Album. I know you don't like to hear it, but it's true. I will link you to an article if you don't believe me.

Im with Ceadog now.

Don't believe me?

Here you go:

And this:

Not nice is it?

Im not feeding you anymore.

Im not feeding you anymore.

I've already had breakfast. I've also provided evidence to back up my points, something you have not done. I have kept on topic about his singing, citing a source to prove that he uses auto-tune to sound good. Meanwhile, you have added nothing to this discussion and accused me of trolling. Perhaps you are the troll? Nice try, but try and be more subtle next time.

Nowhere does it say Billie used autotune...

Billie does use vocal filters but it's not autotuned

You should really learn the difference between auto tune and filters

And name one album that doesn't have some kind of filter of ANY kind run on vocals? You can't name one cause every artist has filters of some sort on every vocal track of a mixed and mastered album...

Can't we all just get along? ✌❤ Peace, love and GD!

He may have had some worse days, and I think it might be linked to his lack of sobriety during certain times. But in general, I don't think his voice has gotten worse or anything. He may have stopped trying to sing properly when heavily intoxicated, but that's about it. I'm sure the next time they tour everything will be fine and dandy, just like it was most of the time.

I think this might have something to do with pronounciation of these phones. You can't pronounce a consonant without the glottal stop - that means you pronounce the phone and a silent "ah". You can hear it clearly when you try to say "h" or "k". On the other hand, vowels can be pronounced withought adding any other sound. That's why they can be sung separately. So when he wants to hold a single smooth long note on one syllable he probably chooses to emphasise the vowel to avoid the additional sounds.

I knew Tim would set the autotune accusations straight :D

I can shit. That's simple. My complex sphincter maneuvers really help me to pass a good shit.

Even if he did use autotune on it, it's just another way of manipulating sound to make a song, it isn't an illegal or sinful act. Unless his dad was an anti-autotune activist or he swore a solemn promise to him never to use autotune there'd be nothing disrespectful about using an audio effect on a song about him.

Also try to remember we're only talking about someone's singing. There's no need for anyone to start being hostile about it.

Even if he did use autotune on it, it's just another way of manipulating sound to make a song, it isn't an illegal or sinful act. Unless his dad was an anti-autotune activist or he swore a solemn promise to him never to use autotune there'd be nothing disrespectful about using an audio effect on a song about him.

Also try to remember we're only talking about someone's singing. There's no need for anyone to start being hostile about it.

I love how he used an article from Rob talking about autotune like its was all about Billie and Green Day only thing he mentioned Billie was he has a pro tool set up at home and they used a click track on AI lol nothing about "Billie used autotune on Wake Me Up"

Autotune leaves a noticeable sound even on low settings GD has never used autotune in any of the albums (I won't bring up AAF as in my ears the effect is heard on cell phone videos as well but whatever) Billie has openly admitted to using vocal filters which are different than autotune has said he prefers using filters no filters is not a big secret for him

Now saying he needs the filters or not is a different story that is up to the listeners some may say he needs them some may say he doesn't that is up to the listeners

For the Foreverly talk his vocals weren't that touched up the production of the whole album was pretty bare...

I don´t know anything about auto tune, just wonder, why other singers wouldn´t do that. Just like the way BJ is taking care of his vocals, may they be autotuned or not.

I personally don´t find it "disrespectful" or "dishonest" in any way to make something look or sound as good as it could be as an honest and respectful gift. Honesty and respect is not a matter of using tools, by the way.

He´s our and GD´s saviour. :D

I don´t know anything about auto tune, just wonder, why other singers wouldn´t do that. Just like the way BJ is taking care of his vocals, may they be autotuned or not.

I personally don´t find it "disrespectful" or "dishonest" in any way to make something look or sound as good as it could be as an honest and respectful gift. Honesty and respect is not a matter of using tools, by the way.

He´s our and GD´s saviour. :D

Really there's nothing wrong with autotunes but since Akon T Pain and even Kanye made a whole album using it people want to hate on it

A lot of talented singers has used it from Cher to Celine Dion (I know yall will laugh but Celine is a very talented singer crappy songs aside she can sing)

Really there's nothing wrong with autotunes but since Akon T Pain and even Kanye made a whole album using it people want to hate on it

A lot of talented singers has used it from Cher to Celine Dion (I know yall will laugh but Celine is a very talented singer crappy songs aside she can sing)

Do you know why autotune is hated so much, whereas filters seem to be okay? Can I - as a mere consumer of music - recognize autotune? And what exactly does autotuning? Sorry, I´m a complete layman...

Archived