Should Green Day Be a "Mature" Band?

Mayonaise

How is JOS immature??

Dookie has some more serious undertones (dealing with sexuality in coming clean etc) but it is essentially immature.

American Idiot is the other way round, mature with immature undertones

Out of interest why is JOS immature? It deals with some very serious content

Sorry it's been awhile since I posted that statement. :D

As I've mentioned, that is purely my opinion, but JOS must have been the first track I related to the most (from Green Day). And its themes are so very teenagery, the reckless abandon, the hatred for the hometown, the hopelessness and whatnot. I really do think it is most relevant for the nihilist kids who are so fed up with their current situation and are more than ready to leave everything behind.

So there's that.

Of course, there are some songs that are just about the same level of maturity, but then there are many more that content-wise sound much more mature than JOS. That is from my perspective, at least. Depends on people's experiences, I guess.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I've mentioned, that is purely my opinion, but JOS must have been the first track I related to the most (from Green Day). And its themes are so very teenagery, the reckless abandon, the hatred for the hometown, the hopelessness and whatnot. I really do think it is most relevant for the nihilist kids who are so fed up with their current situation and are more than ready to leave everything behind.

So there's that.

Reckless abandon, hatred for hometown, hopelessness and whatnot are not just teenagery themes. Those are themes that can apply to anyone, at any time in their life. That is one of the reasons that JoS is so brilliant, it is something that everyone can related too, not matter how big or small the relationship is. Everyone has felt that way at some point in your life. The theme is not what makes a song, or even a novel, piece of art, etc matrure, it is the way that the piece is conveyed that makes it mature. I will give credit where credit is due, Ceadog said this earlier in the thread. GD has always been able to take any theme and write about it in a mature fashion. I absolutely disagree that the themes for JoS are immatrue, as a matter of fact, they are timeless and ageless themes. In JoS, Billie has been able to write about them in a way that everyone, no matter what the age can understand and relate. That is mature.

I don't think it really matters. I think half the reason most of you hate the Trilogy so much is cause you think too much about it. It's just fun, energetic, upbeat music, with kinda throwaway lyrics, but so what? Green Day have never released anything before that rocks like Makeout Party or Fuck Time, and the lyrics might be dumb, but you can hear the sweat dripping from the walls, so to speak. But I don't think it's a matter of "is it mature or not?", all that matters to me is "do I like this song or not?", and a song doesn't have to have amazing lyrics or a complex structure for you to appreciate it. Makeout Party, for example, is one of my favourite Green Day songs, and it's not in the same category as a song like Jesus of Suburbia or Basket Case, but when Billie does that scream in the guitar solo, you've just got to say "fuck yeah, that was awesome!". Just my 2 cents anyway :)

I agree with Vic, I think people just tried to take the trilogy too seriously when it was supposed to be an energetic, careless and fun record.

A lot of my favorite Green Day songs are in the Trilogy such as X-Kid, Rusty James, Wild One. I think each album reflect somehow what the band was feeling like and what they were thinking about at the moment.. That's why Green Day are so brilliant.

False. I think the Trilogy was shit because it was the worst collection of songs GD have ever released.

1039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours disagrees

1,039/SOSH gave us Green Day classics like Paper Lanterns, Going To Pasalacqua, 409 In Your Coffeemaker, Road To Acceptance, At The Library, Disappearing Boy, 16, Only Of You, Knowledge, and Dry Ice. Sure, it has crap songs too, but on average it's a lot better than the Trilogy.

1,039/SOSH gave us Green Day classics like Paper Lanterns, Going To Pasalacqua, 409 In Your Coffeemaker, Road To Acceptance, At The Library, Disappearing Boy, 16, Only Of You, Knowledge, and Dry Ice. Sure, it has crap songs too, but on average it's a lot better than the Trilogy.

It's shorter.

I love all these songs but don't listen to album versions. I dislike the production (or rather the lack of it) and just don't remember the last time I listened to it in whole. I doubt I'd stand it.

So there's that.

Of course, there are some songs that are just about the same level of maturity, but then there are many more that content-wise sound much more mature than JOS. That is from my perspective, at least. Depends on people's experiences, I guess.

This imo makes JOS more mature than dookie. Both deal with problems of a teenager. Dookie never really deals with them, just points them out.

JOS (whether we take it as part of the 'story' or stand alone) is about dealing with the problems, granted in an immature way

Reckless abandon, hatred for hometown, hopelessness and whatnot are not just teenagery themes. Those are themes that can apply to anyone, at any time in their life. That is one of the reasons that JoS is so brilliant, it is something that everyone can related too, not matter how big or small the relationship is. Everyone has felt that way at some point in your life. The theme is not what makes a song, or even a novel, piece of art, etc matrure, it is the way that the piece is conveyed that makes it mature. I will give credit where credit is due, Ceadog said this earlier in the thread. GD has always been able to take any theme and write about it in a mature fashion. I absolutely disagree that the themes for JoS are immatrue, as a matter of fact, they are timeless and ageless themes. In JoS, Billie has been able to write about them in a way that everyone, no matter what the age can understand and relate. That is mature.

That's a good point, about conveying the themes in a mature way. I agree with that. Perhaps I just have to live and see if in 5, 10 or whatever many years the themes of JoS still apply to me. But as of now, it just kind of seems immature, at least in a way, to me. The reckless abandon idea perhaps is what gives me this vibe mostly. (That, or I'm just too afraid to admit that being a grown up does not eliminate all that shit that JoS is portraying/dealing with. I'd just rather assume I'm immature as fuck still.)

This imo makes JOS more mature than dookie. Both deal with problems of a teenager. Dookie never really deals with them, just points them out.

JOS (whether we take it as part of the 'story' or stand alone) is about dealing with the problems, granted in an immature way

Well, acknowledging the problems exist but then ignoring them is yet another marvelous way of dealing with all the crap. :D So I wouldn't exactly say that Dookie doesn't deal with all that shite at all.

That's a good point, about conveying the themes in a mature way. I agree with that. Perhaps I just have to live and see if in 5, 10 or whatever many years the themes of JoS still apply to me. But as of now, it just kind of seems immature, at least in a way, to me. The reckless abandon idea perhaps is what gives me this vibe mostly. (That, or I'm just too afraid to admit that being a grown up does not eliminate all that shit that JoS is portraying/dealing with. I'd just rather assume I'm immature as fuck still.)

Sorry to convey the news, but the themes of JoS do not go away as you age. At certain milestones in your life, they may actually amplify. Hopefully, you will just learn how to deal with them successfully.

Well, acknowledging the problems exist but then ignoring them is yet another marvelous way of dealing with all the crap. :D So I wouldn't exactly say that Dookie doesn't deal with all that shite at all.

Sorry, I meant doesn't confront the problems

Sorry to convey the news, but the themes of JoS do not go away as you age. At certain milestones in your life, they may actually amplify. Hopefully, you will just learn how to deal with them successfully.

That sounded quite ironic (not sure if you intended it to), but damn, it's kinda sad thinking that even in five years I might be stuck feeling the same crap I am now. I truly wish I could just off-handedly call JoS totally immature and go ahead and grow out of the issues portrayed in the song. :D

That sounded quite ironic (not sure if you intended it to), but damn, it's kinda sad thinking that even in five years I might be stuck feeling the same crap I am now. I truly wish I could just off-handedly call JoS totally immature and go ahead and grow out of the issues portrayed in the song. :D

No wasn't meant to be ironic. Just trying to point out that the themes are most definitely not immature, but timeless. Throughout your life you will feel them. Sometimes it will be serious other times not but those type of feelings don't go away and will manifest themselves in different ways. Billie just chose to convey them through a teenage viewpoint.

With all due respect , you're wrong. With the lack of production taken into account, there's still enough quality songs on the album

Archived