How Can Green Day Revamp Their Stage Show?

LostHighway

That problem is solved by them playing Foxboro Hot Tubs shows! Even when they're announced on greenday.com and stuff they never get the same attention as a Green Day show since the vast majority of people don't realize it's them. When they played after a Green Day arena show in London Billie even invited the crowd of 12000 to come, but the 500 person venue was still only half full. I'm guessing the fact it allows them to play tiny shows is one of the reasons for inventing the band, and it works really well.

What, really? Awww.... I´m floating on air... Gives me hope... :wub:

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That problem is solved by them playing Foxboro Hot Tubs shows! Even when they're announced on greenday.com and stuff they never get the same attention as a Green Day show since the vast majority of people don't realize it's them. When they played after a Green Day arena show in London Billie even invited the crowd of 12000 to come, but the 500 person venue was still only half full. I'm guessing the fact it allows them to play tiny shows is one of the reasons for inventing the band, and it works really well.

But it's not always that bad getting tickets when Green Day play smallish shows either, especially when they're sold through the Idiot Club. Luck does come into it but I was able to get tickets for Shepherds Bush (3000 capacity) and Brixton (5000 capacity) with no problem.

Oh, I didn't know so few people realize that they are also the Foxboro Hot Tubs :P

Now they just need to start playing surprise/smaller shows in Belgium (or a neighbouring country, or my living room) :D

Never ever play King For A Day ever again. But I'm sure that's already been said/blatantly obvious.

Never ever play King For A Day ever again. But I'm sure that's already been said/blatantly obvious.

Why... :cry: I love it!

All I really care about is a good show. My only time seeing them was 2013 and that was phenomenal, probably the best show I've ever seen.

Why... :cry: I love it!

I do too. They should keep playing it.

No. Just no. It's embarrassing.

Agreed, no more cape, no more crown, just no.

I do too. They should keep playing it.

1. It's stupid.

2. It's overdone.

3. It stopped being funny in 2004.

4. It wastes 15 minutes that they could use to play other songs.

5. It's stupid.

I'm on Team King For A Day! I couldn't care less what the number of songs they play is as long as I'm being entertained and it's always entertaining, seen it 3 times and I'm not bored yet, you can tell they genuinely enjoy it because they always makes little changes to it and add in spontaneous stuff. For me the fact that Green Day don't take themselves too seriously to have some unashamed silly fun on stage regardless of whether anyone thinks they should be more sensible is a major part of their appeal, plus having a room full of people singing along with a song about cross dressing and being who you want to be is just awesome. Also, even before King For A Day they used to make Paper Lanterns last 10-15 minutes while Billie messed around mooning, dressing up in clothes thrown on stage by crowd members, throwing water and doing call and response with the crowd. They've literally always devoted a hefty segment of their show to doing that stuff since they started playing large venues, that's just them.

I'm on Team King For A Day! I couldn't care less what the number of songs they play is as long as I'm being entertained and it's always entertaining, seen it 3 times and I'm not bored yet, you can tell they genuinely enjoy it because they always makes little changes to it and add in spontaneous stuff. For me the fact that Green Day don't take themselves too seriously to have some unashamed silly fun on stage regardless of whether anyone thinks they should be more sensible is a major part of their appeal, plus having a room full of people singing along with a song about cross dressing and being who you want to be is just awesome. Also, even before King For A Day they used to make Paper Lanterns last 10-15 minutes while Billie messed around mooning, dressing up in clothes thrown on stage by crowd members, throwing water and doing call and response with the crowd. They've literally always devoted a hefty segment of their show to doing that stuff since they started playing large venues, that's just them.

I can only speak for myself, but I don't want them to not have that silly part of the show, where they just plain out have fun. I just think they have been doing the King for a Day bit way too long. It's time to mix it up and do something different. Like you said, they used to do it with Paper Lanterns. It's just time to find another song to have fun with. Maybe Dirty Rotten Bastards?

I can only speak for myself, but I don't want them to not have that silly part of the show, where they just plain out have fun. I just think they have been doing the King for a Day bit way too long. It's time to mix it up and do something different. Like you said, they used to do it with Paper Lanterns. It's just time to find another song to have fun with. Maybe Dirty Rotten Bastards?

That would be to long imo. DRB works when it's played fast and withought pausing. I'm afraid it would drag too much and lose consistency. Maybe they could bring back Paper Lanterns and do something different. And shouldn't do it on every show. Jokes can't be predictable.

I love KFAD, though I do agree that they should stop taking 15 minutes for it.

That would be to long imo. DRB works when it's played fast and withought pausing. I'm afraid it would drag too much and lose consistency. Maybe they could bring back Paper Lanterns and do something different. And shouldn't do it on every show. Jokes can't be predictable.

I think drb is a fun song that could work but I'm not tied to it. It just popped in my head as I was typing. They've already done paper lanterns so they shouldn't go back to that. They just need to do something different.

they did a paper lanterns medley when i saw them in 2009 and didn't quite pull it off. i'm not sure if they did it for the rest of the tour but the crowd didn't seem terribly interested and i was the only person in my entire seating section dancing and singing along. dirty rotten bastards could work really well, though.

Yeah I think King For A Day/Shout are way overdone at this point. Also, I'm not sure if Billie stopped doing it in later shows, but I can do without the "masturbating" on stage part.

To be fair it is King For A Day AND Shout AND some random bits of covers, not that extreme for two songs plus some snippets to take up 10-15 minutes. I just think it's a fun tradition, and most people are only going to see it live once every few years at the most and it's never exactly the same so it's not really very repetitive when you see it. I like seeing what costumes they've picked and how many of them are going to do the "Waaaaiiiit a minute!" bit :lol:

Yeah I think King For A Day/Shout are way overdone at this point. Also, I'm not sure if Billie stopped doing it in later shows, but I can do without the "masturbating" on stage part.

He only really did the full on version of that on the Warning/Pop Disaster/American Idiot tours. He's done various tamer versions of it occasionally though, it was pretty funny on the 21st CB tour because he'd come up with inventive stuff like getting the crowd to make sex noises and then coughing and saying "I got a hair in my mouth", lol. I like it when he says and does deliberately awkward/inappropriate stuff with a cheeky grin, part of his style as a performer.

Sure, nothing wrong with being inappropriate and silly, that's one of the reasons why I love Green Day, but I just want them to change things up a bit! ;)

Sure, nothing wrong with being inappropriate and silly, that's one of the reasons why I love Green Day, but I just want them to change things up a bit! ;)

Oh yeah it is nice when they change things up, they've done quite a good job of evolving that particular thing though :D

I doubt you'll be seeing much of the Shitrilogy going forwards. Dragging out and featuring yet another awful song from it likely isn't high on the band's list.

I doubt you'll be seeing much of the Shitrilogy going forwards. Dragging out and featuring yet another awful song from it likely isn't high on the band's list.

yeah. it's likely that they'll pretend there's no Trilogy. but quite frankly, I'd like to see more Trilogy songs live. They're so much better that way.

Good thread.

You obviously didn't read from the start before it was merged & renamed

I do wonder if they'll even acknowledge it exists at the Cleveland show.

I do wonder if they'll even acknowledge it exists at the Cleveland show.

I wonder what the last song will be - will brutal love still make a setlist.

Archived