How Can Green Day Revamp Their Stage Show?

LostHighway

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They don't revamp their career by changing their clothes or their live shows, they revamp their career by making a great album.

Then your only choice is to agree with me :happy:

Aw man, it looks like you're right :(

Has Billie Joe tried selling his soul to Satan? All the cool rockstars do it.

I'll preface with this, I didn't go see a show during the 99 Revs tour, so all my conclusions are from watching concert videos and listening to the audio from those shows; I wasn't there. I've got to agree, the shows (especially since Billie got back from rehab) have been lacking a certain energy. It seems to me like they were just going through the motions this time around. I remember watching a video of them playing X-Kid and it was just painfully flat; they sped though the song as quickly as they could and it lacked pretty much any emotion in Billie's voice. The setlists were standard fare, mainly deriving from the formula set from the first leg of the 21CB tour which was itself somewhat derivative of the AI tour. They barely played any of the new material, especially compared to like their first shows of the tour in Japan. They've really got to shake it up, there's a ton of stuff that they don't play regularly (I'm thinking Insomniac mostly) that never sees the light of day. I would love another round of secret shows where they basically put their back catalog on shuffle and try new combinations of songs to find out what works and what doesn't; throw out the old formula and experiment. And for the love of god he has got to cut down on the hey-oh's. Play the damn songs Billie.

As far as a new album goes, I really just want it to be good and polished. Take however long it takes before putting it out there. After what happened with the trilogy, I want to see the opposite approach. Quality not quantity. I think it's also time to get rid of Cavallo. He didn't reign in Billie at all musically and the concept didn't even work as there was hardly any difference in tone between the albums so the conceit didn't come across. Bring in someone out of left field and go for a change. Even if it's as few as 9 songs, I just want it to be good. Don't try to make another landmark album because rock just isn't the cultural force it used to be and the audience is way too fragmented; just make some good art and if it's really good, it'll stand the test of time.

I say all of this as a fan, not to be mean or meant as a barrage of criticism but because I want to see them succeed again. In short I just think they need to mix it all up. Clean house for the production and bring in somebody new. Get on tour again and try new setlists.

I'm just hoping for something that branches out a little. They should put in one or two longer songs (I'm thinking 7 minutes+), they should definitely try and diversify a bit, even if it's in a more poppy direction. I kind of hope they'll look back at the trilogy and think that now's the time for a career defining album in the vein of American Idiot (doesn't have to be as good, just has to have that kind of mindset). Overall, I'm fine with whatever direction they go in, as long as it isn't completely repetitive, and sounds genuine.

I think it's more external things than that the band aren't as good/don't care as much anymore. If people don't like the new music they won't enjoy the shows as much, the band have changed as people (got older, Billie has had and overcome issues, etc) and they aren't as popular/don't have the same budget anymore, so the gigs can't be the same in some respects. Personally though, I saw a lot of shows on both the 21CB tour and 99 Revolutions tour (before and after rehab) and I honestly thought their performances were amazing on both. The effects on the 21CB tour did blow me away, but the best shows I've been to were two post-rehab ones on the 99 Revolutions tour. Of course some gigs are better or worse than others because they're only human, but I'd say they were still full of energy, having loads of fun and really engaging with the crowd at all of the ones I went to and that's what's most important for me. How they look doesn't bother me.

I can understand why people are sick of songs like King for a Day, I am a bit sick of seeing that myself and I'd like to hear other songs instead, but then for (most) people seeing it for the first time it's a lot of fun and I can see why they don't drop it. I've never really minded the hey-ohs but hasn't Billie actually cut down on them since he got sober? I remember thinking there was a lot less of that.

Also, you really can't use videos to judge how good a performance was - I remember watching a video of X-Kid from the Chicago show in 2013 and the comments were all saying the crowd is dead, the band don't care, etc, but I was there and the crowd definitely wasn't dead! It was one of the most violent shows I've been to and as for the band not caring, Billie actually started crying which isn't clear on the video but it was very emotional in person.

Having said all of that, I liked the trilogy so that probably made a difference on the 99 Revs tour. But yeah, overall I personally don't see much need for change other than whatever new stuff they'll bring to the next tour.

There is so much wrong with this OP that I don't even know where to begin...

First off, you're not suggesting how they "revamp their career," as all you've mentioned pertains specifically just to their live performances. And it's very difficult to tour successfully promoting sub-par albums and riding the coattails of nostaglia and former success, which is what the 99 Revolutions Tour (if you can even call it a tour) was, without a doubt. So, I think it's more accurate to ask "How can Green Day revamp their live performances?" or focus on more things than just their appearance, pyro, etc. because that stuff is all fluff in the end. A great album performed live doesn't need fluff. Sure, it's fun to watch, but the music is what it's ultimately about.

Secondly, did you even go to a show? Or did you just watch it on YouTube? You can't compare videos to actually being there and seeing it happen.

Next, although I'm obviously a hardcore fangirl, and I like to poke fun at how Billie Joe looks (hobo Billie Joe, blonde hair is gross, etc.), the band's appearance doesn't really change much about their performance as a whole. Look at their early career and what they wore — they looked like bums, more or less. In the end, people don't care about appearance, they care about good music. Sure, good looks help attract some fans, and Billie Joe was drop-dead gorgeous circa 2004-5, but it's unrealistic to expect him to look that way 10 years later. People age. People change. Styles change. And there's nothing wrong with that. The 2000s weren't their "signature look," it was a reinvented brand that suited those albums, but that time has come and gone.

And I don't even feel like opening the can of worms that is the discussion about the rehab issue and the role of alcohol in the performance's success or failure, but you can't deny that's a factor, too.

They don't revamp their career by changing their clothes or their live shows, they revamp their career by making a great album.

This, basically. They need to just focus on the music.

I think it's terrible that you people think he should drink again to perform better. He has drug and alcohol problems. Do you want him to die?!

Firstly they need to make a good album - a better one than the Trilogy. I would enjoy if they tried something new, it would be really cool if they looked for inspiration in other genres than punk or rock. A change of producer could be useful too, personally I'd really love to see Butch Vig working with them again - when it comes to trying something new 21CB seemed like a first step forward and I was looking forward to something more. Look at songs like Little Girl - it has a really nice, almost non-Green-Day piano vibe and how awesome is Peacemaker - this is what suits them now. That's the kind of music I want to hear from them and what I expected them to do. It's a shame they didn't keep experimenting. The Trilogy would be so much better if it was written, produced, recoreded...etc. with this approach. The Trilogy is what going back in your progress sounds like. If it preceded AI we wouldn't be so disappointed.

I can't judge their performances since I've never seen them live, but they didn't seem as energetic as before in videos. On the other hand, I don't think the shows have some big flaws that need to be solved, alright - King For A Day got really boring (I never could stand it anyway.), so did hey ohs and Billie needs to improve his singing, but that's about it. If there is some good new material the shows will improve too.

In my opinion, their image during Trilogy era was much better than the 21CB one. I'm probably alone, but I absolutely love the old man/hobo Billie. This scuffy look is much more casual than guyliner, suits him more and it's nice to see something different for a change. Besides I love striped t-shirts and leopard print.

Also, I think it's premature to say that Billie's performances are worse when he's sober. I suppose it takes some time to get used to (not only for him, but for us, too. Some people just can't help analysing his every move.) I believe his performances can live up to their previous standards, but this won't come overnight. I'm going to judge this when new tour starts and I see them live.

I think it's terrible that you people think he should drink again to perform better. He has drug and alcohol problems. Do you want him to die?!

I'd like to think they're trolling, but maybe not. I don't even think it's true that he's a worse performer sober, he's just different. I'm a lot more comfortable and so can enjoy the gigs more knowing that he's not killing himself with booze, anyway.

Well that escalated quickly.

Well, an alcoholic can become addicted again by just a sip of beer. And who knows where he would be, if he'd still be addicted.

And I think you shouldn't think about things like that. Styles come and go, so just relax and wait for their comeback and look at their style then.

..and maybe panic again, 'cause it's shit :D

Musically the music on the trilogy would have sounded better without the clean tones if they were so intent on clean tone they should have wrote the music that fits it

Also, even if he was a better performer when drunk it wouldn't be very advantageous in long term. The Trilogy already sucked. What do you think he'd do next? Obviously their following album might be a flop. I can't say it won't. But chances are that he'll be able to write meaningful lyrics or distinguish if he sounds like shit or not.

Green Day's live show is not and will never be the problem. Sober or drunk, they are fantastic musicians and most bands in the scene would fall flat on their faces playing after them. In order to revamp their career, they would need to put out an album that the public masses wanna listen to now. I can't see them putting out the next big indie rock album, which is almost what they would have to do in order to have the success they had with AI/21st, so I don't think they'll ever achieve that height again. They're kind of in legendary status right now.

Although it is interesting to think about what GD would sound like if they moved in a more alternative/indie direction but kept their fast-paced punk roots.

Bait:

[X] Taken

[ ] Not Taken

No

We actually disagree on something? Tragic. :( I guess he isn't so bad when it's got the dark roots coming through... but when he's got the super bleached blonde look going on, I don't think it's flattering at all. The dark hair looks much better to me (when it's not hobo style, of course).

Although this picture of him is pretty fucking adorable... :lol:

Billy_Joe_Armstrong_92810625.jpg

I think it would be cool in each show they play one or two tracks that they wouldn't normally play live.
For example, they play songs you would expect like Basket Case or Longview, but then they throw in something like Deadbeat Holiday or Jinx.

We actually disagree on something? Tragic. :( I guess he isn't so bad when it's got the dark roots coming through... but when he's got he super bleached blonde look going on, I don't think it's flattering at all. The dark hair looks much better to me (when it's not hobo style, of course).

Oh we agree, it has to have the black roots showing. Yes that picture is adorable

I love the striped shirts. :mad:

Looked especially good with a rip in the chest :happy:

Also Tre's downward arrow shirts were awesome

We actually disagree on something? Tragic. :( I guess he isn't so bad when it's got the dark roots coming through... but when he's got he super bleached blonde look going on, I don't think it's flattering at all. The dark hair looks much better to me (when it's not hobo style, of course).

That's how his hair looked when I ruffled it. Yes yes yes to Reverend Strychnine Twitch blond

yes

One day he'll do so anyway, but I doubt he needs to drink to play well.

That's how his hair looked when I ruffled it.

Lucky you :wub:

Archived