How Can Green Day Revamp Their Stage Show?

LostHighway

I wonder what the last song will be - will brutal love still make a setlist.

God I hope not.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all i would first like to say it's great to be on this forum. I have been a Green Day fan since I was 8, I'm 19 now. They are my all time favourite band.

For the last 2 years I must confess I have found Green Day's shows lackluster. By the last 2 years I mean the 99 revolutions tour. From the performances I saw, they just didn't seem to care too much. Everything about that tour screamed half assed, from how they dressed to the performances themselves, which were lacking the stadium rock polish that I had grown used to with the scintillating concerts of the American Idiot and 21CB tours. There was nothing quite like the final guitar part of American idiot live, where it finished with a bang, Billie with his hands triumphantly in the air, raring to go.

Example:

To the dress. During American Idiot and 21CB, the guys looked damn good. They had their sharp shirts and ties, accompanied with the occasional leather jacket. This suited them and in my opinion was their signature look, one which they should have kept. It looked badass, with a hint of class and sophistication mixed in for good measure, almost symbolic of their musical transformation.

This:

t-normal_003505_2005_10_09___Green_Day_Lgreen_day_getty90713796.jpg

To this:

2013GreenDay_Reading_EM_-12-230813.jpg

It would have looked so much better if they had stuck to this attire as opposed to the op shop look they went for last time. They left that behind when American Idiot began and should have kept it in their past. Billie Joe looks damn good for 43, keep the hair short and tussled with the jackets/shirt and tie and everything is hunky dory.

Now we have the image down-pat, lets get to the performance. Compared to the previous 2 tours, the 99 revolutions tour was composed of a series of rather lackluster, lethargic and indifferent performances. I went to one of the shows, so I know what I am on about and this was not on the same level as the previous 2 tours. I really missed the pyro and the running and jumping that I had grown accustomed to seeing was vastly reduced, although this can be forgiven due to age. However if Billie Joe gets himself fit like he was for the AI and 21CB tours, I believe his energy around the stage will pick up significantly. NCIS actor Michael Weatherly, who is 46, has proven it is very achievable if the work is put in.

Their overall live formula also needs a reboot. They have used the same formula for the last 2 tours and it has grown tiresome. Keep the pyro and visual effects, it is an absolute treat to watch and enhances the show. However, remove the drunk rabbit, King For a Day, excessive ayyy ohhhs and implement something else to revitalize the performance. Return with the runway as well, it was truly epic. Also, do not under any circumstances remove Good Riddance from its closing slot. This tour it was replaced with Brutal Love on multiple occasions, much to my chagrin. The Forgotten might make an epic 2nd last track, with Billie Joe on the piano wowing the crowd. Just do something new and refreshing.

Also, Armstrong's singing has diminished somewhat, though I believe it will return for their next tour as I don't believe he was fully prepared for the 99 Revolutions tour. I will watch the Hall of Fame performance with great interest to hear how he sounds.

Do you agree with me? How do you guys think Green Day can revamp their live performance? Its great to be able to talk with you guys. Please don't take this as an attack on Green Day, its not. I want them to succeed as much as you do, hence why I've listed ways to improve.

I 100% agree. I'm probably going to get hate for this but they'd be better off playing no trilogy material and if they do only a few songs. i also think they should reintroduce 21 Guns. As much as i'm sick of it, it is one of their biggest hits and Jason's piano part after the solo is incredible. I'm hoping this big announcement at the Hall of Fame is an album or a tour.

I 100% agree. I'm probably going to get hate for this but they'd be better off playing no trilogy material and if they do only a few songs. i also think they should reintroduce 21 Guns. As much as i'm sick of it, it is one of their biggest hits and Jason's piano part after the solo is incredible. I'm hoping this big announcement at the Hall of Fame is an album or a tour.

Where is the written proof of the big announcement think that part is an Aprils fool joke....

Where is the written proof of the big announcement think that part is an Aprils fool joke....

not really sure but every big magazine said that they did something with idiot nation that hinted big announcement

not really sure but every big magazine said that they did something with idiot nation that hinted big announcement

I think you will find gd have never said there will be an announcement. Media are simply speculating. We all can hope though - soon find out

I think you will find gd have never said there will be an announcement. Media are simply speculating. We all can hope though - soon find out

they were collecting footage for an early days documentary last year but id much rather have a tour or album, or all three :)

I doubt you'll be seeing much of the Shitrilogy going forwards. Dragging out and featuring yet another awful song from it likely isn't high on the band's list.

I seriously doubt they will ignore the trilogy. I think the songs they play will be limited because there was just not enough exposure. They won't start promoting it again, at least I hope not. But I would imagine they would still play Brutal love, oh love and 99 revolutions. I'm not a big fan of 99 revolutions but billie is so I think they will continue to play it

I can see 99 Revs and Stay The Night being the two main songs from the trilogy kept in the set.

I have seen Green Day play king for a day on every single tour since 1997 and I agree that it's time to retire it!

I would love to see them add the acoustic version of stay the night into the set

Yeah, I definitely don't think they'll pretend the trilogy never happened. It'll probably work as usual and they'll still play the most popular songs, but the rest will become like the older rarities they only play occasionally. We'll just hear less of it because there's so much material.

I've seen Green Day twice (both times in Chicago): July 2009 (21st Century Breakdown tour) and March 2013 (99 Revolutions tour). It may be an unpopular opinion, but I enjoyed the 2013 show way more than the 2009 show. They did not seem lackluster on stage at all to me in 2013, I actually thought they were tighter musically that show. When I saw them the first time in 2009 they did nothing off their first two albums 39/Smooth and Kerplunk, where the second time they did. Overall the setlist in 2013 was less-hits oriented and gave more to the hardcore fan. The only songs I wish they would have played in 2013, that they played when I saw them in 2009 were "21 Guns" and "Hitchin' A Ride". Where songs played in 2013 like "When I Come Around", "Letterbomb","Going To Pasalacqua", and "2000 Light Years Away" were all sadly missing when I saw them in 2009.

I didn't really miss the pyro too much, don't get me wrong special effects are awesome and all, but I don't think it's necessary for a band like Green Day to use those them every tour/show, unlike other bands I like including KISS and Nickelback. Green Day started out as a punk band and the songs themselves are well-crafted and stand the test of time without additional bells and whistles.

One more thing, people saying they should go back to playing like they did on the American Idiot tour, I completely disagree and say you're out of your minds. AI tour had the most boring setlists out of their whole career of touring.

They should start every gig with Welcome to Paradise, drop king for a day. and every show a different set-list. And don't let someone sing know your enemy of longview. We have seen that.

End the show with some acoustic songs. And play more old songs!

Like Pearl jam en Metallica make every show downloadable as CD. :)

Which "big magazines" are you referring to? The initial hint came from a Plain Dealer article that cited Green Day's website. But there wasn't an announcement on the website at all. Other outlets are just citing that original article.

I wonder what the last song will be - will brutal love still make a setlist.

It might still find its way into the encore depending on how long the show is, but the whole "replace Good Riddance with Brutal Love" idea failed, as evidenced by the band reintroducing their most cliche and overrated song ever back into the end of the show.

I can see 99 Revs and Stay The Night being the two main songs from the trilogy kept in the set.

Stay the Night has already been dropped from the set in favor of East Jesus Nowhere.

Stay the Night has already been dropped from the set in favor of East Jesus Nowhere.

When did this happen? Stay the Night is one of the few Trilogy songs they play that I actually like.

Don't get me wrong, I like East Jesus Nowhere, but most of the other Trilogy songs they play live are just... ehh.

Just because there was a song was in a set list and they dropped it for a show doesn't mean they can't add it back in. Hopefully, the HOB show will be different than anything they have done in the past.

When did this happen? Stay the Night is one of the few Trilogy songs they play that I actually like.

Australian tour a couple years back. Stay the Night disappeared and EJN reappeared in its place.

Just because there was a song was in a set list and they dropped it for a show doesn't mean they can't add it back in. Hopefully, the HOB show will be different than anything they have done in the past.

Or billie has written a brand new ending

Australian tour a couple years back. Stay the Night disappeared and EJN reappeared in its place.

Probably because it fitted better for soundwave which was heavier music.

Or billie has written a brand new ending

I'm good with that. But I do like Brutal love as an ending

I'm good with that. But I do like Brutal love as an ending

I like it as the ending over good riddance because the other guys are on stage.

I like it as the ending over good riddance because the other guys are on stage.

I kind of like the Billie by himself thing it's soothing and a great way to end a show that is a 3 hour adrenaline rush

I think they should keep King for a Day but drop Shout. That's the part that goes on forever anyways.

I saw them at Brixton in 2013.

I was disappointed that they didn't play KFAD. But hey, I got Dookie from "front to back" so yknow...

Archived