How Can Green Day Revamp Their Stage Show?

LostHighway

Hi all i would first like to say it's great to be on this forum. I have been a Green Day fan since I was 8, I'm 19 now. They are my all time favourite band.

For the last 2 years I must confess I have found Green Day's shows lackluster. By the last 2 years I mean the 99 revolutions tour. From the performances I saw, they just didn't seem to care too much. Everything about that tour screamed half assed, from how they dressed to the performances themselves, which were lacking the stadium rock polish that I had grown used to with the scintillating concerts of the American Idiot and 21CB tours. There was nothing quite like the final guitar part of American idiot live, where it finished with a bang, Billie with his hands triumphantly in the air, raring to go.

Example:

To the dress. During American Idiot and 21CB, the guys looked damn good. They had their sharp shirts and ties, accompanied with the occasional leather jacket. This suited them and in my opinion was their signature look, one which they should have kept. It looked badass, with a hint of class and sophistication mixed in for good measure, almost symbolic of their musical transformation.

This:

t-normal_003505_2005_10_09___Green_Day_Lgreen_day_getty90713796.jpg

To this:

2013GreenDay_Reading_EM_-12-230813.jpg

It would have looked so much better if they had stuck to this attire as opposed to the op shop look they went for last time. They left that behind when American Idiot began and should have kept it in their past. Billie Joe looks damn good for 43, keep the hair short and tussled with the jackets/shirt and tie and everything is hunky dory.

Now we have the image down-pat, lets get to the performance. Compared to the previous 2 tours, the 99 revolutions tour was composed of a series of rather lackluster, lethargic and indifferent performances. I went to one of the shows, so I know what I am on about and this was not on the same level as the previous 2 tours. I really missed the pyro and the running and jumping that I had grown accustomed to seeing was vastly reduced, although this can be forgiven due to age. However if Billie Joe gets himself fit like he was for the AI and 21CB tours, I believe his energy around the stage will pick up significantly. NCIS actor Michael Weatherly, who is 46, has proven it is very achievable if the work is put in.

Their overall live formula also needs a reboot. They have used the same formula for the last 2 tours and it has grown tiresome. Keep the pyro and visual effects, it is an absolute treat to watch and enhances the show. However, remove the drunk rabbit, King For a Day, excessive ayyy ohhhs and implement something else to revitalize the performance. Return with the runway as well, it was truly epic. Also, do not under any circumstances remove Good Riddance from its closing slot. This tour it was replaced with Brutal Love on multiple occasions, much to my chagrin. The Forgotten might make an epic 2nd last track, with Billie Joe on the piano wowing the crowd. Just do something new and refreshing.

Also, Armstrong's singing has diminished somewhat, though I believe it will return for their next tour as I don't believe he was fully prepared for the 99 Revolutions tour. I will watch the Hall of Fame performance with great interest to hear how he sounds.

Do you agree with me? How do you guys think Green Day can revamp their live performance? Its great to be able to talk with you guys. Please don't take this as an attack on Green Day, its not. I want them to succeed as much as you do, hence why I've listed ways to improve.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Get rid of the Hey ohs and the fucking JOY JOY JOY shite, and get Billie some singing lessons again.

Also writing some decent tunes would help.

I think the 99 Revolutions tour had some serous issues, like Billie being strung out for most of it and then finishing after rehab. I think the shows had to change. The band is not 20 years old anymore, the effects of the show, the dress all needs to change as they age. Plus if they kept the same look, the same effects, everything would get boring pretty quickly. I agree, that maybe Billie can change up the hey-ooo stuff a bit, but it is his signature style so I don't want him to change all of it, just mix it up a bit.

But as Ceadog pointed out, writing decent music comes first, and the shows and energy levels will follow along. IF people are not excited about the new music, the tour will suffer.

<--- has ideas.... not sharing them in case I want to use them later down the road...

I don't know. But I think having less themed concepts works. Like, why not going to play dressed casually? More varied playlist, taking requests... But I recognize that must take a lot of effort.

Not really bothered about their look, the smarter outfits worked well for tours supporting grandiose rock operas/concept albums but I think the scruffier but still pretty cool and stylish look they had on the last tour worked for the more lighthearted albums. They all looked damn good as far as I'm concerned :lol:

Also I saw them twice on the 99 Revolutions tour (once before the rehab stuff happened and once after) and they blew me away both times, having also seen them on the 21st CB tour I thought they were just as good. They had less effects etc so I can understand being disappointed if you're into that but as far as the band's energy went it seemed to me they put as much energy, fun and entertainment into the show as ever. Billie danced, threw himself around and even stage dived, didn't notice any drop in energy.

I agree about the runway (massive asset to their arena/stadium shows) and Good Riddance, however they have said they lost money on the 21st CB tour and couldn't really do that again so it might be that cutting back on props like that is necessary to keep ticket prices reasonable, and they actually did play Good Riddance after Brutal Love at a few shows so they might already have that sorted. Overall they've never been a band who drastically changes up their show with each tour, rather you can see a gradual evolution from Dookie shows to now, and I don't mind that. They did make a few changes plus played Dookie in full (!!!!!) at a few shows so I don't think change was particularly lacking this time compared with other tours.

So yeah I don't think they need to revamp much :lol:. If they keep up their usual gradual evolution of live show plus a few extra surprises thrown in I'll have no complaints!

The only look that I really want to see coming back, and would interfere with my enjoyment of the show, would be those blond puffs in the second pic. I'm not kidding.

Billie needs to stop buggering around with his hair. Short and black looks great, anything else is just bloody stupid.

The only thing I think is missing is the enthusiasm they had during the AI tour or the 21st CB tour. Maybe it was because their ssudden success and the amount of people wanting to see them live made them so energetic. . I remember Billie even saying on Bullet in a Bible something like "this has been by far the most exciting tour we've been on".

They seem bored, and the fact that 70% of the crowd is holding phones or standing emotionless doesn't help either.

I don't have the same experience as you guys, however since I've never seen them live. If I could choose though, I would like to go to 21st CB tour when they played all sorts of new and old music.

Oh and they need the runway back.

I really don't care about what they wear or what their hair looks like. To me that's not important. What's important is that they have a variety of songs and lots of energy and fun during the shows. I love when they do King For A Day and the shout medley. They look like they have a great time doing it and so does the audience. I love hearing everyone sing along. I know they have lots of songs to choose from but it would be nice if they could play one from each album. Although, I know when they put a new album out they have to play more of the newer songs. I don't care if they have pyrotechnic either. I like both Good Riddence and Brital Love so they both are good closing songs in my opinion.

The only thing I think is missing is the enthusiasm they had during the AI tour or the 21st CB tour. Maybe it was because their ssudden success and the amount of people wanting to see them live made them so energetic. . I remember Billie even saying on Bullet in a Bible something like "this has been by far the most exciting tour we've been on".

They seem bored, and the fact that 70% of the crowd is holding phones or standing emotionless doesn't help either.

I don't have the same experience as you guys, however since I've never seen them live. If I could choose though, I would like to go to 21st CB tour when they played all sorts of new and old music.

Billie was also heavily on drugs and alcohol during that time so that didn't help either.

I will actually fight you to the death because blonde Billie > all other Billies.

But I'm crap at fighting and don't wanna die or kill :(

I agree, it's almost as though, (The greatest Green Day fan horror) they were finally acting their age. (WHICH IS not ACCEPTIBLE! :P) It seemed like all through 99 they were trying to figure out how to restart, which is Billie's rehab, it put more of a gap in between what's Green Day and what's lazy, get it over with, Green Day. The trilogy really struck me more as a smoothly recorded set of demo albums, all the songs that had different themes that would not fit onto previous albums. They really didn't seem prepared for how big the 99 Revolutions tour was going to be, maybe they thought they'd lost some of their fanbase and didn't think they needed to do big shows. Either way, between what they have going on now, and what they had during the 21CB tour, I think they could definitely bring some of that back, exclude some of the overused items every once in a while. That's how they revamp themselves, bringing back some of the old stuff to back them up while they trek off into uncharted territory, being the trilogy. I'm not sure how much sense I'm making by this point, but I agree with ya 100%.

Billie needs to start drinking again because he performs better that way.

Oh and they need the runway back.

It might seem that way watching videos but it really didn't seem that way at shows!!! The band were extremely entertaining and enthusiastic, playing with gusto, smiling and joking with each other, having loads of fun with the crowd. And the crowds were super enthusiastic and lively too (sometimes doesn't look that way on video when they're so lively that everyone in the pit is squished together like sardines), so much so my sister passed out and I nearly melted lol. They also played just as much of a mix of new and old music (including all of Dookie at one of the shows I attended), the setlists weren't that different from 21st CB setlists. I saw them on the 21st CB tour and on the 99 Revolutions tour and I can report that they were fabulous on both :lol:, I think it might just be easier to tell from 21st CB videos since there were more good quality ones clearly showing the band and crowd and they had more stage effects

Haha, once I said that in a thread and got Tumblr shamed it was hilarious.

Same

Billie needs to start drinking again because he performs better that way.

Over the years he's played many great shows both when drinking and when not drinking, this theory holds no water.

Over the years he's played many great shows both when drinking and when not drinking, this theory holds no water.

It holds water. It holds so much water. It's soaked.

And it is bad for him. I want a great show, but I also would prefer if he stayed healthy.

And it is bad for him. I want a great show, but I also would prefer if he stayed healthy.

I think that if alcohol is something that makes Billie's product worth selling, then he pretty much needs to deal with the side effects. People expect a certain level of performance from Green Day, and if he delivers something less than that while sober, he's really just scamming people out of what could be great.

He can be as healthy or unhealthy as he wants but I've seen him play great shows when drunk, when sober and when somewhere in the middle so as far as how good shows are (at least) it makes no difference. He's an amazingly talented frontman, that doesn't come from a bottle.

This whole thread should be banned for "personal attacks" on Green Day.

I think that if alcohol is something that makes Billie's product worth selling, then he pretty much needs to deal with the side effects. People expect a certain level of performance from Green Day, and if he delivers something less than that while sober, he's really just scamming people out of what could be great.

The guy is an alcoholic. It's not like he can control it, he can't. Yes, I want a great show, and I agree he seems to perform better on alcohol, but he needs to figure out how to do it without it if he doesn't want to end up going out like a rock star.

Archived