Billie Joe & Bill Schneider "Broken Guitars" Store

Sanity Loan

I won't buy a guitar without playing it first, but I was hoping they would sell some picks or stickers on line. But they don't, so sad.

I share your opinion. I'd be tempted to buy Billie's guitar, though...I mean...it's something he touched, y'know?

I share your opinion. I'd be tempted to buy Billie's guitar, though...I mean...it's something he touched, y'know?

Funny you should say that because I've actually thought of the same thing. If I ever have some disposable income, I thought about one of his signature guitars. Not because its his, but because they are built to his specifications. We are about the same size (OK, I am actually slightly taller) and I thought that it might fit me well.

However, I don't see disposable income anytime in the near future.

Funny you should say that because I've actually thought of the same thing. If I ever have some disposable income, I thought about one of his signature guitars. Not because its his, but because they are built to his specifications. We are about the same size (OK, I am actually slightly taller) and I thought that it might fit me well.

However, I don't see disposable income anytime in the near future.

No surprise, great minds think alike. Although, I would have to be careful with Les Paul based guitars, because I'm tiny and want a guitar with a comfortable neck. Compared with me, BJ is a gigant so I can't assume his sig would fit me automatically. If I had chance to go to the store I'd check some of the Fenders. Recently I found they're comfortable to play and fell in love with the sound as well.

No surprise, great minds think alike. Although, I would have to be careful with Les Paul based guitars, because I'm tiny and want a guitar with a comfortable neck. Compared with me, BJ is a gigant so I can't assume his sig would fit me automatically. If I had chance to go to the store I'd check some of the Fenders. Recently I found they're comfortable to play and fell in love with the sound as well.

Exactly! The other day I casually mentioned to hubby that I need an electric (I just have a hollow body and parlor acoustic). He said go get one. Unfortunatley, it needs to be cheap so a Billie sig guitar is out of the question. Plus, as much as I think it would fit, I wouldn't spend that money without playing it first.

I'm going ot the store tomorrow so I will see what works.

If anyone has any suggestions for a cheap, smallish one, I'm open.

Exactly! The other day I casually mentioned to hubby that I need an electric (I just have a hollow body and parlor acoustic). He said go get one. Unfortunatley, it needs to be cheap so a Billie sig guitar is out of the question. Plus, as much as I think it would fit, I wouldn't spend that money without playing it first.

Try Fender or rather Squier maybe. playing my friends Telecaster is a wonderful thing. I have a SG and it's good as well. Cort has smallish electrics, they're really cheap and good for the price.
  • Like 1

HEY! If you're going to the store would you ask or see what they did with the 94 version of Blue I sent them as a gift? I'm curious what they decided to do with it.....

Play it before you buy it, if you can. I've played some Squiers (Fender's budget line of guitars) that were comparable in quality to Made in Mexico Fenders. And I've played some that are shit guitars.

In the old days, I would've recommended you save up longer and buy a Fender or a Gibson. These days, I feel like you can get similar results if you shop around a bit, get a cheaper guitar, and upgrade certain components.

For example, Gibson Les Paul Studios go for around a grand new. A nice Epiphone Les Paul will run you maybe $400. Spend another couple hundred on better tuners and pickups, and you have a guitar of comparable quality, or even better.

At the end of the day, it might be easiest to just set a budget, and play as many guitars that fit in that budget as you can. When you find one you like, buy it. You can always upgrade it later.

• Like 1

HEY! If you're going to the store would you ask or see what they did with the 94 version of Blue I sent them as a gift? I'm curious what they decided to do with it.....

Sorry I meant my local store. I'm in CT

As far as cheap guitars, I have a Squier Affinity Telecaster that I really love. It's a great quality and was only about $180

So, who's gonna livestream the opening? ;)

Hoping for an announcement of some kind? :lol:
  • Like 1

Hoping for an announcement of some kind? :lol:

definitely... the Rolling Stone interview was so shady. "I'm taking it slowly" ... a likely story, Billie Joe :lol: You can't fool me!

• Like 1

Yeah, I've been wondering who the bands are that are playing for the opening. They said that some would be playing on the 1-2-3-4 Go! stage, but their website doesn't list who it is. Hmm... :lol:

Edit: Nevermind, I just found the bands that are playing. No hint of any special guests. But there are still the planned acoustic sets in the store! I want to know about those! :P

Edit again!: Jason White is one of the accoustic artists playing tonight, according the the Broken Guitars Instagram!

Broken Guitars @broken_guitars

Live music tonight featuring James Leste, Arrica Rose and Jason White in the shop and Meat Market on the 1234 Go stage! Starts at 5pm!

Tonight! We're happy to host part of the festivities around the grand opening of our neighbors @broken_guitars ! They'll have acoustic sets in their store and we'll have electric stuff over here from King Lollipop (Cody from Shannon and the Clams) and
Meat Market!

6-8pm, free!

11191512_103769753289379_1801672325_n.jp

broken_guitars

43 minutes ago· Broken Guitars Oakland

Happy birthday to us!!!!

11176362_1436466899988650_831822248_n.jp

broken_guitars

5 hours ago· Broken Guitars Oakland

One of tonight's door prizes, MXR Phase 90!

11208530_1058858784129416_190559133_n.jp

broken_guitars

6 hours ago

Opening weekend sale on all Dunlop / MXR pedals! New mini Cry Baby's in stock and on sale for over 40% off!

11202543_439399216218732_178341382_n.jpg

11195641_758958654218045_1870321059_n.jp

• Like 3

I know nothing about guitars but that fit out is awesome & I want a cupcake.

• Like 1

So the "grand opening" was Jason White and some cupcakes? Am I the only one who thought Billie would be there? No offense Jason ;)

Yeah, I thought he'd be there too. But from the insta's it looks like he's been in LA working on Geezer. So obviously he had a conflict and couldn't make it and sent Jason instead!

I was there. Setlist went something like this:

- Same Boat (California)

- Cabot Gal (PHGP) w/ "That's Alright Mamma" interlude, before going back to the end of Cabot Gal

- Longest Nights (The Influents)

- A cover of an Alex Chilton song

- See Your Friends (California)

- Bad Directions (California)

- Hungover (solo)

I think that was it.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...