link to video where American Idiot is mentioned during dookie days (1994 ish)

lbsf1

Hi guys

I'm writing an article about why Green Day are not Sellouts (basicly debunking all the commonly used arguments).

I saw an tv interview on youtube a while back which was taken around 1993/4/5 where the 3 of them are talking about an idea of making a rock opera album /broadway musical, and give a very vague outline of the story they have in mind (and it was very similar to how AI turned out).

I have been searching for ages however haven't been able to find it, if someone knows where it is that would be awesome.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually think I know the interview you're talking about, I haven't got a clue how to find it however :P

Those Green Day cunts sold out in 1993. How dare they sign to a major label! :rolleyes: Dookie sucks and real green day fans only listen to 39/smooth, man.

(I really hope everyone picks up on the sarcasm lol)

Those Green Day cunts sold out in 1993. How dare they sign to a major label! :rolleyes: Dookie sucks and real green day fans only listen to 39/smooth, man.

(I really hope everyone picks up on the sarcasm lol)

Haha I did dw ;) .

I'll post the article on this thread when finished.

Thanks everyone for the help and greendepent for the vid :)

That lady had no idea who she was interviewing and the boys knew it. They had no interest in talking to her because everything that came out of her mouth was just plain dumb.

Hi guys

I'm writing an article about why Green Day are not Sellouts (basicly debunking all the commonly used arguments).

Please don't.

That lady had no idea who she was interviewing and the boys knew it. They had no interest in talking to her because everything that came out of her mouth was just plain dumb.

IDK, Billie Joe stuck a piece of food in her mouth. Either she was hungry or he thought that might get her to be quiet for a couple of seconds.

Why?

selling out isn't a dumb thing to do, it basically makes you economically stable for life and gives you all the cash you need to record music and tour. I don't see any reason for not selling out, it's win win in all regards.

selling out isn't a dumb thing to do, it basically makes you economically stable for life and gives you all the cash you need to record music and tour. I don't see any reason for not selling out, it's win win in all regards.

I hate the term selling out. They didn't sell out, they were successful.

I hate the term selling out. They didn't sell out, they were successful.

they had 2 albums that didn't sell too good, Kerplunk did ok but didn't exactly go gold. So they signed a contract that gave them a heap of money, making them successful.

they had 2 albums that didn't sell too good, Kerplunk did ok but didn't exactly go gold. So they signed a contract that gave them a heap of money, making them successful.

Agreed. But selling out is compromising your integrity and principles. I just don't believe becoming successful by signing a major record deal constitutes selling out. There is no glory in being poor and unsuccessful. And being poor and unsuccessful doesn't necessarily make the music any better.

Thanks for asking about this, hadn't watched it for ages and it was very enjoyable to see it again :D

Agreed. But selling out is compromising your integrity and principles. I just don't believe becoming successful by signing a major record deal constitutes selling out. There is no glory in being poor and unsuccessful. And being poor and unsuccessful doesn't necessarily make the music any better.

If they'd walked around preaching about the evils of major labels and sworn to never sign to one then I suppose they could've been accused of selling out. But they never did, and they didn't compromise their music either, so yeah, fail to see how they went against their own principles or "sold out" in any way. Just because a club they frequented and some other people in the local scene had a moral objection to major labels it doesn't mean they did or that they should've been expected to. Seems to me they'd always been extremely ambitious and wanted to continue to make music full time forever if possible, and they wouldn't have been able to do that on a tiny label.

Holy crap, you mean to tell me you didn't have this video downloaded onto your computer?! :o Haha...

Before you go and write this article, if I were you, I would make sure that I have all of my facts straight, and a good clear point. I mean, the whole idea of this article isn't actually the greatest, considering it's based solely off of an opinionated argument. But it's up to you what to write and whatnot, so all the best to you. And I'm really not trying to be rude, and seriously no offense, but you just seemed to throw off a vibe in your opening post that you may need to gather some more facts and information, haha. Which, obviously it looks like that's what you're doing. (=

Good luck, and maybe share the article when you're done? :D

Kerplunk is one of the best selling indie records of all time. Green Day sold 2,000 records on an indie label, unheard of at the time.

Why?

Because it's such an old argument and the people that still believe it won't ever change their mind. They just hate Green Day.

Because it's such an old argument and the people that still believe it won't ever change their mind. They just hate Green Day.

What if you're a huge fan but think they sold out?

Give her a break, no one knew who Green Day were in 1993. She was just getting to know them via interview

Haha why should she know, they weren't well known and as an interviewer of non-well known bands it wouldn't be standard to know all about them in advance since it wouldn't be possible to find out much info about them (especially in the days before internet), best way to find out about them was to interview them. They behaved like that (playing around and having no almost interest in the interview) in pretty much every interview back then, I don't think it was anything personal.

Archived