More to Speculate - Who Inducts Them?

Chin for a Day

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

tumblr_mjkadcIo7V1rtnsmdo1_500.png

My dad loves the clash, but isn't too fond of Green Day. Do you see how it works?

I'm sure John Lydon would LOVE to induct them. *sarcasm*

He would love too, if you paid him enough. It can't be any worse than selling butter

Larry Livermore would be a great person to do it but if they were to get someone who they've influenced I feel a great band would be All Time Low, I know they may not be a band as big as those in the RnR Hall of Fame but Green Day were a massive influence on them so why the fuck shouldn't All Time Low do it.....They're a great band with great songs and would give Green Day the induction speech they deserve. P.S. Congrats Green Day!!!

why the fuck shouldn't All Time Low do it.

Because they're a cancer on the genre of pop-punk, and are pretty much exactly the type of band that Green Day get blamed for influencing.

I was in In China With Green Day, Aaron mentioned it in the middle of describing being at one of the shows and singing along with the crowd:

I remembered something sweet but confounding that Billie once told me: 'There are two people I want to impress when I write lyrics - you and Bono.'

I still wasn't sure how to respond to that one, except to sing along.

Bono?

:lol:

It's so adorable though!

just added 'In China with Green Day' to my amazon wishlist right before I saw this post :P thanks!

Because they're a cancer on the genre of pop-punk, and are pretty much exactly the type of band that Green Day get blamed for influencing.

Be careful with these sorts of statements - there are plenty of pop-punk bands influenced by Green Day who acknowledge roots further back than Green Day (FOB, Paramore, New Found Glory, Dollyrots, MxPx, and Sum 41 come to mind). I'm pretty sure the line "this is the road to ruin" in the FOB song "Alone Together" is a Ramones reference, and Marky played drums with them for some Ramones covers during a set (he does this for bands sometimes - he did it for The Offspring, for instance). New Found Glory did a whole Ramones cover EP, Dollyrots did a whole Ramones cover set during a webcam concert (they also did one for Green Day) and have toured with Buzzcocks and Joan Jett (whose record label they were signed to for a time). Sum 41 seems to be in a similar situation (there's actually a picture of the band with Johnny Rotten - go figure [they have insisted that they are "rock" now instead of "punk"]), and MxPx are fans of The Clash and The Ramones (they covered "Should I Stay or Should I Go" on an album, and have done Ramones covers, too [to the point that a special version of an MxPx live album had to be produced for Christian retailers - they didn't like having a song called "The KKK Took My Baby Away" on the CD!]). Oh, and I saw MxPx recently, and they covered "Longview" (I filmed it and put it on YouTube - I was pretty far back, due to having had my hearing shot by being right up near the stage during Zebrahead's set). I don't remember if they got to the last verse before launching into "Summer of 69," but they definitely did not censor the song (it sounded kinda like they sang "sick of all the same old spit," but that seems unlikely given that they sang "you're fuckin' lazy" without any problems - again, my ears were still ringing).

While it's definitely a sorry state that Green Day fans (especially younger ones) don't know who Mick Jones is, it shouldn't matter. Billie Joe once said in a 1995 interview, when told "Your fans don't even know who the Ramones are"... and he said "I don't think they need to know who the Ramones are. I'm barely old enough to know who the Ramones are." And Mike talked about how he was in kindergarten watching Sesame Street when 70s punk was big. Kids don't need to know about the history of rock and all of its characters unless they are interested in learning about it, and they definitely can't be EXPECTED to know the name of every member of every band, however influential on their current favorites.

When I was teaching 10th grade, most of my students hadn't heard of the Beatles. (Most of them were Dominican American immigrants) At first I was upset and horrified, and then I accepted culture and time as big deals. Don't hate on 'fangirls who don't even know Mick Jones.' Tell them who Mick Jones is and then they'll have fucking heard of Mick Jones.

Considering the fact that Billie Joe constantly discusses The Ramones and The Clash, I think he has changed his position big time! I think he even said at one point that he hoped that kids who discovered (and liked) Green Day would then be turned on to bands like The Ramones. Also, I'm a little surprised that your students had never heard of The Beatles - they're pretty much universally known (if I'm not mistaken, even the Soviet government eventually relented [in the 1970s, I believe - I think it was before Gorbachev] to allowing a few approved Beatles songs to be distributed with a state-run magazine). The Beatles and Elvis are probably the most famous musicians in history (moreso than even Beethoven).

While having an influential musician(s) is popular I think that Green Day influenced so many band that it might be easier to have one of the younger bands induct them such as Blink 182, one or a few of the members of MCR (who they've toured with in the past), Fall Out Boy, or just friends like Dave Grohl, Larry Livermore, and Duff McKagan. These are my guesses so far

Whoever the HoF picks, we'll probably hate it and bitch about it for weeks.

Whoever the HoF picks, we'll probably hate it and bitch about it for weeks.

Pretty much. I can name on one hand people that *should* be beloved by everyone, and none of them are going to happen. Chances are we are going to be colossally disappointed.

But then again, if I was a hardcore fan of Iggy Pop or Guns N Roses I would have been pretty bummed about having Billie Joe induct them. Mostly because he's a terrible speaker, but I'm sure a lot of their fans also just weren't Green Day fans and thought it was pretty silly.

just added 'In China with Green Day' to my amazon wishlist right before I saw this post :P thanks!

Excellent choice!

Bono. Nobody has had more success in the rock world than U2. And anyone who doesn't like Bono can go fuck themselves. Everyone who hates bono hates him for no other reason than everyone else does.

Or maybe Dave Grohl or Mark Hoppus

Bono. Nobody has had more success in the rock world than U2. And anyone who doesn't like Bono can go fuck themselves. Everyone who hates bono hates him for no other reason than everyone else does.

There are alot of bands that would dispute your claim that nobody has had more success in the rock world than U2. The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Who, just to name a few. I personally hate Bono because he is an arrogant, narcisstic prick. Not because anyone else does.

Everyone who hates bono hates him for no other reason than everyone else does.

Not true. I hate Bono because he's a lying, hypocritical, tax dodging, talentless, media-hungry hack. I'd honestly be impressed if you could come up with one reason (supported by actual facts) as to why he's not a complete shitmunching cunt.

By the way, none of the above users who just tore Bono to shreds disagree with the notion that he's been extremely successful in the rock world. We know that. But being "successful" does not equate with being likable, just ask every politician and pop star. Bono's success is based on his own self-aggrandizing ego and, as has been said 100 times, arrogance.

It's also very possible, in my case, to really like U2's music and still want Bono to go shove a pineapple up his ass.

While having an influential musician(s) is popular I think that Green Day influenced so many band that it might be easier to have one of the younger bands induct them such as Blink 182, one or a few of the members of MCR (who they've toured with in the past), Fall Out Boy, or just friends like Dave Grohl, Larry Livermore, and Duff McKagan. These are my guesses so far

Blink 182 together would be cringy, because Tom's a fucking loser douchebag. Ditch him and just let Mark do it alone, because Travis doesn't talk anyway. I've seen photos of Mark wearing a Kerplunk shirt before, so he's clearly qualified.

Yeah, I always thought someone from Ramones will induct them, but since Tommy is dead...

I don't know, Dave Grohl or some huge star will induct them. I like the Dave Grohl idea of it.

Blink 182 together would be cringy, because Tom's a fucking loser douchebag. Ditch him and just let Mark do it alone, because Travis doesn't talk anyway. I've seen photos of Mark wearing a Kerplunk shirt before, so he's clearly qualified.

1. How is Tom "a fucking loser douchebag"?

2. I have a Kerplunk shirt that I wear all the time - using the same logic, wouldn't that make me qualified to induct them? :rudys:

Yeah, I always thought someone from Ramones will induct them, but since Tommy is dead...

I don't know, Dave Grohl or some huge star will induct them. I like the Dave Grohl idea of it.

Marky, Richie, and C.J. are still alive (as is Elvis [Clem Burke], but we don't talk about him).

Archived