Hall of Fame Concert Songs

Z J

So I'm sure this debate is happening somehwere on the forum, but I thought it'd be perfect for a thread. Which 3 songs will Green Day play at the HOF show?

Pick your three, and say a bit about what each song means to their catalog and why it would be a good choice. Perhaps notable is that Billie wants to play something from the Lookout years.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

American Idiot - the biggest song from their most recent 'big' album

Basket Case - the most famous song from their most famous album

2,000 Lightyears Away/ Who Wrote Holden Caulfield - Billie said he wanted to play something from the Lookout years. He seems to like playing 2,000 LYA alot. WWHC I'm fairly sure I've heard him say it's one of his favourite songs from Kerplunk.

My picks are:

1. Who Wrote Holden Caulfied?

This song has been stated as Billie's favorite from Kerplunk, and it encapsulates the Kerplunk era very well.

2. American Idiot

I think this one is a consensus pick it seems. It's the song that revived their career and that album is really what makes them HOF worthy. Without it idk if they get in.

3. Jesus of Suburbia

Green Day's Holy Grail. This song will go down in history as their most influential/impactful song. It captures the album, and everything Billie/the band is. No song is more deserving.

This was near impossible for me. And it could go a thousand ways. I would say Good Riddance but I feel as if they'll want the whole band doing songs.

Some runners up: Basket Case, Longview, Brutal Love, Holiday, She, 2000LYA, Going to Pasalacqua.

yeah same as above. i'd have to say one song off 1039SOSH or Kerplunk, one off Dookie & one off American Idiot. the two big albums & one from where it all started.

I'd love to think they wouldn't play any singles, though. so no American Idiot, no Longview, none of the big songs. i'd love for them to play some of the lesser known ones Like Give Me Novacaine & Coming Clean, that way they're still off the big sellers, but still not the mainstream in your face songs.

but ofc i live in a dreamland.

I know Billie said he wants to do a song from the Lookout years, but I'm not sure I see that happening. They only have 3 songs to choose from. My choices:

1. Basket Case - I agree that they have to do a song from Dookie and even though Basket Case is not my favorite, I think it is the most upbeat. When you are given a limited set you have to really try and set a pace for a great show quickly. Or a way to pull in the Lookout years and Dookie, they can do Welcome to Paradise.

2. American Idiot seems to be a no brainer. However, it they want to get a bit of a ballady song in there they may throw in When September Ends.

3. I think they would want to end with a bang, so I can see something very dramatic like 21 Guns.

I think they need to do American Idiot and a single off of Dookie because those two albums are the albums everyone's going to want them to play from. I don't think it fairly represents the span of their career if they play two songs off of AI, though, I would really like to see something from the very early days or something post-AI in there - but nothing from the Trilogy unless it's Brutal Love :P

But they have to play Jesus of Suburbia :angry:

1,000 Hours - The beginning of the road to success.

Basket Case - The beginning of his fame.

Jesus Of Suburbia - I don't have any meaning for a great song and end of the show.

But they have to play Jesus of Suburbia :angry:

They may not have time to do Jesus of Suburbia. They will probably have a time limit.

They may not have time to do Jesus of Suburbia. They will probably have a time limit.

Nobody gives Green Day a time limit!! Didn't you learn that from iHeart?

If I were going to say songs I WANT them to play it would be

Jinx/Haushinka

Homecoming

Dry Ice

But that it is almost certainly not going to happen.

Now that someone has mentioned it I do think they may play Welcome To Paradise as it is a Dookie and Lookout song.

Dirty Rotten Bastards and any other two songs that they choose.

I'd love it if they did DRB - I can imagine them running/dancing in, ridiculously overexcited, and Billie just shouting "YEEEEEEAAAAHHHHH, YEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH YEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH" as soon as he gets anywhere near the microphone.

Anyway, I think they'll do Basket Case (for obvious reasons), AI (also for obvious reasons) and either Going to Pasalacqua or Who Wrote Holden Caulfield?, as I'd say they're two of the most memorable songs from the Lookout era (and he said WWHC is his favourite Kerplunk song).

Nobody gives Green Day a time limit!! Didn't you learn that from iHeart?

I was going to say that, but I still can't quite bring myself to talk about it like that.

1. I Was There - The lyrics are very reflective, like the opening line "looking back upon my life and the places I have been." Not only is it reflective on the past, but it is also a song that was written by John (Right?) so it will also incorporate past members in a way.

2. Basket Case - Obviously they will play this just because of how big of a hit it is. I was thinking welcome to paradise, but I think that the band seems to have more energy when they play basket case, which is why I think they will play it.

3. Jesus of Suburbia - My reasoning is the same as what people have said earlier. I can just imagine all of the energy that will come from this song, with a dramatic ending that will most likely bring everyone to their feet.

Gotta be Best Thing In Town, Strangeland, and Sweet Children.

Wouldn't surprise me if they did play Sweet Children, after all, it is where they started.

Any list I try to come up with is shit, but I just wanted to throw this out there

409 In Your Coffeemaker. This is Billie's favorite song from 1039, he just played it in June at 1-2-3-4 Go! Records with Jason, so it's not like they'll have to look up the lyrics or anything like they'd have to with 1000 Hours. Although I'd prefer 1000 Hours, that would tie in nicely, Billie has mentioned before how much he hates that song, I'm sure it'd be embarrassing for him to play it in front of all the great musicians at R&RHF ceremony, not to mention everyone that's going to be watching the broadcast.

2000 light years away (shortened version)/welcome to paradise, extended version of knowledge, and brutal love

Any list I try to come up with is shit, but I just wanted to throw this out there

409 In Your Coffeemaker. This is Billie's favorite song from 1039, he just played it in June at 1-2-3-4 Go! Records with Jason, so it's not like they'll have to look up the lyrics or anything like they'd have to with 1000 Hours. Although I'd prefer 1000 Hours, that would tie in nicely, Billie has mentioned before how much he hates that song, I'm sure it'd be embarrassing for him to play it in front of all the great musicians at R&RHF ceremony, not to mention everyone that's going to be watching the broadcast.

I love 409 In Your Coffeemaker, so now that you say it, I really hope they do it.

I love 409 In Your Coffeemaker, so now that you say it, I really hope they do it.

Dude, mfw I woke up September 16th 2012 and saw that they played it for the first time in 11 years

mfw.jpg

And then mfw I woke up a week later to find out Billie Joe had a breakdown on stage and was admitted into rehab

1391902888843.jpg

Christ, the GD things I wake up to in general. Dookie played in full is another exciting wake up, this morning too was pretty awesome!

In the interview with rolling stone he said he wants to do a song from the lookout days which excites me beyond belief and I hope its something like 1,000 hours and not 2,000 light years away.

Why does he hate the song?! And where is the interview of which he said it?!?

Archived