Green Day inducted into the Hall Of Fame

Liam

Do you all know who's inducting them?

It has not been announced for anyone other than Ringo. There are some rumors floating around for some of the other performers, but not GD.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, that's ... kind of unfortunate. idk, I don't hate FOB (although I don't like them live so I hope they don't perform) but I thought they'd go with someone a little more classic with their '90s scene, not an AI-era contemporary.

FUCK ME at the John Mayer confirmation, though :( this is worse than the time Kid Rock was the guest at my Conan O'Brien show in Michigan! :(

Patti and Joan performing together could be badass!

Here's the article: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/paul-mccartney-stevie-wonder-fall-out-boy-to-induct-hall-of-famers-20150318

Yeah, I'm a bit disappointed... I don't hate them either, but I was (selfishly) hoping it'd be someone I like :P I guess if they really love GD and have been influenced by them it's cool.

I guess what does bother me is that out of all of the other speakers, Green Day's feels the least respected. All of the other inductees are having people who have a fair amount of critical acclaim and/or a concurrent career induct them (obviously John Mayer wasn't performing alongside Steve Ray Vaughan, but he does get critical respect as a guitarist). FOB has gotten some more respect since Save Rock and Roll when it comes to respect and acclaim, but let's be real, they stick out like a sore thumb on this list as an "it" band that gets lumped in with GD. I'm very sure FOB respects Green Day and was inspired by them, so in that respect, it makes sense for them to induct them, but they just seem slightly inappropriate compared to the other speakers on this list and their relation to the inductees.

I guess what does bother me is that out of all of the other speakers, Green Day's feels the least respected. All of the other inductees are having people who have a fair amount of critical acclaim and/or a concurrent career induct them (obviously John Mayer wasn't performing alongside Steve Ray Vaughan, but he does get critical respect as a guitarist). FOB has gotten some more respect since Save Rock and Roll when it comes to respect and acclaim, but let's be real, they stick out like a sore thumb on this list as an "it" band that gets lumped in with GD. I'm very sure FOB respects Green Day and was inspired by them, so in that respect, it makes sense for them to induct them, but they just seem slightly inappropriate compared to the other speakers on this list and their relation to the inductees.

I agree 100%. I really thought Dave Grohl was going to induct them. He is there, I would rather see that.

Better FOB than 5SOS or fucking Bono. It's a bit exciting for me because Green Day and Fall Out Boy were the soundtrack of my high school years, and I think it does make sense for them to be doing the induction. They're a contemporary of Green Day's, they were inspired by them, they've managed to remain relevant - it makes sense.

Oh God, I somehow never considered a Bono induction, jfc that would have been so awful!

I mean, it's not stranger than, say, Billie/GD inducting Iggy Pop and Guns n Roses in terms of relation to the artist (or lack of), but I guess I expected someone different? I'm more surprised than annoyed. I mean, I do like FOB well enough these days so like you said, better than a lot of people they could have picked, but ... idk man, I'm trying to figure out how to explain my reaction and I can't :lol:

Well, I know who I'm bringing to the ceremony now. My oldest and I have a running argument about who is hotter, Billie or Pete Wentz. Since she is a huge FOB fan, I will have to bring her if it fits in her schedule.

Fall Out Boy?! Well shit. I spent years trying to explain to friends that GD were punk rock or whatever 90's sorta band and FOB were from "that wave" of sorta emo band that followed and whined a lot...two very different things. Well thanks a lot HOF. Why not get the Spice Girls? Geez. They deserved a bigger name imo.

Fall Out Boy?! Well shit. I spent years trying to explain to friends that GD were punk rock or whatever 90's sorta band and FOB were from "that wave" of sorta emo band that followed and whined a lot...two very different things. Well thanks a lot HOF. Why not get the Spice Girls? Geez. They deserved a bigger name imo.

Fall Out Boy is a pretty big name, and to top it off they're actually active and people pay attention to them. They've successfully reinvented themselves and have just released a new album that has sold solidly (more than Green Day has done in the past 6 years) and are going on a massive tour later this year. What more do you want?

I found this quote from Pete Wentz:

" I think to me it was more of this idea that rock’n’roll is an attitude, it’s a counter-culture, and when we lose sight of that it’s unfortunate because we wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for certain rock’n’roll bands, and certain rock’n’roll moments. For me it was [Green Day’s] Dookie. That was a really important record for me to understand that you can do this thing the way you want to do it. We each have those. If anything I hope that’s what this record is for a lot of people. You can put it on and you feel like this is something you could do, and that you could relate to, and it’s OK to be a little different and strange."

and then a quote from Patrick Stump:

"He (Billie Joe) didn't want to play four-chord punk rock for the rest of his life. If anybody knows anything about punk rock more than Billie Joe from Green Day, I don't know who it is. So I looked at that and their growth, and I think about how honest that is. They're really just true to what they are, and so that's how we are,” added Stump. “I think we'll change stylistically, but at the end of the day, that's just something you wear. You're still yourself."

They really seem to love Green Day.

I found this quote from Pete Wentz:

" I think to me it was more of this idea that rock’n’roll is an attitude, it’s a counter-culture, and when we lose sight of that it’s unfortunate because we wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for certain rock’n’roll bands, and certain rock’n’roll moments. For me it was [Green Day’s] Dookie. That was a really important record for me to understand that you can do this thing the way you want to do it. We each have those. If anything I hope that’s what this record is for a lot of people. You can put it on and you feel like this is something you could do, and that you could relate to, and it’s OK to be a little different and strange."

and then a quote from Patrick Stump:

"He (Billie Joe) didn't want to play four-chord punk rock for the rest of his life. If anybody knows anything about punk rock more than Billie Joe from Green Day, I don't know who it is. So I looked at that and their growth, and I think about how honest that is. They're really just true to what they are, and so that's how we are,” added Stump. “I think we'll change stylistically, but at the end of the day, that's just something you wear. You're still yourself."

They really seem to love Green Day.

Nice to see you again!

Lady Gaga LICKED Dookie's inlay card she loves them that much haha. Let's have her do it :P

Lady Gaga LICKED Dookie's inlay card she loves them that much haha. Let's have her do it :P

I would have loved that.

Fucking Fall Out Boy. And can Dave Grohl, for once, just please not show up at EVERY SINGLE AWARD SHOW.

Screw all of this negativity in this thread. I'm so excited!

I'll second that!

I guess I'm one of the few hear who likes Fall Out Boy:)

Yyyyyyyyyeahhhhhhhh, like 95% of the people here, I would've MUCH preferred someone who is probably more respected in Green Day's circles than Fall Out Boy. Maybe someone from the same California scene like Tim Armstrong, or if we're gonna go with someone who's relevant today and has strong ties to the band, I'd say maybe not all of blink-182 but at least Mark Hoppus (not Tom, 'cause Tom's a dick). Or maybe it didn't need to be a musician at all! Shit, Chris Rock inducted the Chili Peppers just 'cause they're friends; maybe Will Ferrell could've inducted Green Day! They've been pretty friendly lately: they had fun after their SNL taping in 2009, Billie played at Will's Mark Twain Prize ceremony, the band was allegedly almost in Anchorman 2. But fuck, REALLY?! FALL OUT BOY?!?! :thumbsdown:

Archived