Green Day inducted into the Hall Of Fame

Liam

Everything was just done so well! What a great night, and I hope everyone who was there had the best time!

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What am amazing night last night was, whether you were there or following unfolding events, like i was, and watching the videos now, I can safely say it was a memorable event, from Fall Out Boy's speech, to Billie Joe's, Mike's and Tre's, to their performance of the 3 songs:) Amazing

Estelle (@estelleonearth)

1 hour ago

"Family on point @batmansmom @mikedos_xx"

tumblr_nn2dvmVsPu1r5w7ofo1_540.jpg

This is just too much! I'm so incredibly proud of them. I have had all their albums on shuffle from this morning, emotional doesn't even start to cover it. Love them so much. :wub:

Everyone's being so sentimental here, so I feel like I need to butt in too. :lol:

I am immensely proud of our boys, I feel like a mother duck whose ducklings are all grown up and swimming off into the sunset~~~. Even though I'm half their age...

Reminiscing where they started off, reading Billie Joe's essay about his future and hearing their stories about how it used to be back then before their huge success made me an emotional wreck.

I'm nonstop listening to Green Day now, and looking at pictures of the evening with a dumb, happy smile plastered on my face.

I've never been so proud to call myself a Green Day fan. I love them more than anything and anyone.

They fucking made it.

This was very cute and fun to read as a fan. As a Teacher I can see why he only got a C, his spelling, grammar and sentence structure was horrible. He does have good handwriting though. Thanks for sharing it.

Well it depends what you're looking at. If I asked somebody to write what he wants to be when he grows up I wouldn't focus my attention on how he writes "a lot". I am great at spelling (in my own language) but when I read things I wrote when I was 9 -he's fucking 9- they're full of spelling mistakes. So what? Is that the end of the world? It's not like writing is all about that, is it? Of course spelling, grammar, etc is what the teacher focused on, so it makes sense that he got a C, because "what do you want to be when you grow up?" was only used as an excuse to make the kid write some sentences and then test his grammar. Maybe if you actually looked at what he was saying you could have valued his creativity for example. The emotion and thrill he puts into planing his own life is too much for me. Or the amount of adjectives that he's using: "great big amplifiers", "a huge band". About the structure of the sentences, it's fine appart from the incorrect punctuation, just have to work on that. Or the structure of the full text: what he wants to be - question - what's his second option - question - I'll be something, it's perfect! Oh yeah and the "I know I'll be something". He's telling you that he wants to be something big in life, he wants to be a champ and make lots of people happy, "I'd bet on that"??? I can see how the teacher thought the sentence was funny, but just read a bit into it.

Sorry about the off topic and I don't mean this as a personal offence to you, it's something that I have to say because I don't think all of this is fair. This is just exactly the way they end up thinking that they're imbeciles and that Jesus made them that way, you know.

BRITTNEY CADE (@batmansmom)

7 minutes ago

"#KlipschRocksTheHall One More #RockHall2015 Congrates Boo @mikedos_xx @greendayig Love U @estelleonearth #theMuseDiaries @hautestreet"

tumblr_nn2eqaNpx51r5w7ofo1_540.jpg

The last few days have been so emotional in the green day community. I wore my dookie shirt all day yesterday to celebrate. I listened to American Idiot on vinyl yesterday afternoon with my Dad. I showed him the essay billie wrote when he was 9 and I just lost it and he was getting emotional as well. He said that is inspirational right there. When the time came for the red carpet, I was seriously living in a spastic society. I was freaking out. When I heard all of the screaming, I knew green day was on. When I saw them all together, I just burst out crying. My dad was watching with me and he was quite moved. When they went over to the fans, my love for them just hit an overload and my Dad was quite impressed by their generosity and kindness. Then of course I watch the speech. I just keep watching it over and over and I am just so proud and honored to be a fan. Truly these guys and their families have been huge inspirations. I am so happy for them. Well deserved. Major respect for them.

Well it depends what you're looking at. If I asked somebody to write what he wants to be when he grows up I wouldn't focus my attention on how he writes "a lot". I am great at spelling (in my own language) but when I read things I wrote when I was 9 -he's fucking 9- they're full of spelling mistakes. So what? Is that the end of the world? It's not like writing is all about that, is it? Of course spelling, grammar, etc is what the teacher focused on, so it makes sense that he got a C, because "what do you want to be when you grow up?" was only used as an excuse to make the kid write some sentences and then test his grammar. Maybe if you actually looked at what he was saying you could have valued his creativity for example. The emotion and thrill he puts into planing his own life is too much for me. Or the amount of adjectives that he's using: "great big amplifiers", "a huge band". About the structure of the sentences, it's fine appart from the incorrect punctuation, just have to work on that. Or the structure of the full text: what he wants to be - question - what's his second option - question - I'll be something, it's perfect! Oh yeah and the "I know I'll be something". He's telling you that he wants to be something big in life, he wants to be a champ and make lots of people happy, "I'd bet on that"??? I can see how the teacher thought the sentence was funny, but just read a bit into it.

Sorry about the off topic and I don't mean this as a personal offence to you, it's something that I have to say because I don't think all of this is fair. This is just exactly the way they end up thinking that they're imbeciles and that Jesus made them that way, you know.

but it was likely almost certainly an assignment that he was given in order to assess, evaluate, and look for areas of improvement in his spelling, grammar, punctuation, syntax, etc. i understand your frustration and everything given how sweet (and prophetic lmao) the piece is, but the fact is this is something he did in school. you go to school to learn, not wax lyrical about what you intend to do with your life. especially at nine, it's imperative that kids go to secondary school (or middle school as in bja's case) knowing how to properly structure a piece of writing, or yes, they will be written off as "imbeciles." spelling, grammar, and punctuation are important, and the grade he was given reflects his ability to put words to paper. even now, billie's grammar sucks - he's a fantastic writer but he's not exactly technically brilliant. the importance of that assignment was based on its structure, not the content; the question of "what will you be when you're older?" is simply a framing device by which his teacher intended to test the class on their writing skills.

Does anyone want to recap the night for me? I had prom last night so I wasn't able to keep up with this thread (obviously) and I intended to read the whole thing when I got home today but the thread's gone from 27 pages to 89 and there's no way I'm reading through all of that. :lol:

but it was likely an assignment that he was given in order to assess, evaluate, and look for areas of improvement in his spelling, grammar, punctuation, syntax, etc. i understand your frustration and everything given how sweet (and prophetic lmao) the piece is, but the fact is this is something he did in school. you go to school to learn, not wax lyrical about what you intend to do with your life. especially at nine, it's imperative that kids go to secondary school (or middle school as in bja's case) knowing how to properly structure a piece of writing, or yes, they will be written off as "imbeciles." spelling, grammar, and punctuation are important, and the grade he was given reflects his ability to put words to paper. even now, billie's grammar sucks - he's a fantastic writer but he's not exactly technically brilliant. the importance of that assignment was based on its structure, not the content; the question of "what will you be when you're older?" is simply a framing device by which his teacher intended to test the class on their writing skills.

Yes that's why I said that the teacher was coherent on the C, because most likely he was just using the task to test his grammar, spelling, etc. It's just that I think that you shouldn't only evaluate that, plus I think that when you're 9 there's still plenty grammar and spelling you have yet to learn, to be "disccounting points" for everyone of those mistakes. Actually, I think (and I can't see how everyone in the world thinks this, I'm still amazed sometimes when I read some ideas about education) that we should "asses, evaluate, and look for areas of improvement" in both the grammar etc and the content. How can we pretend to "model" fully developed people when we can't see this? If we can't see "wax lyrical about what you intend to do with your life" as learning, I don't know how we're going to change anything. You see, I can't see BJ as an imbecile, just somebody that wasn't properly "made the most of".

Green Day Pummel Rock Hall With Ecstatic Induction Ceremony Set
720x405-470283036.jpg
In 2002, Green Day attended their first Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction festivities as musical fill-ins for the Ramones, performing three of their songs in honor of the seminal New York punk band's induction. On Saturday night, the multi-platinum East Bay pop-punks played three songs from their own catalog, celebrating their ascension into the pantheon of the greats with a blistering set that featured "American Idiot," "When I Come Around" and "Basket Case." Showcasing their history, vintage photos and ads from their early days playing clubs like 924 Gilman Street ran on the screens behind them.
In an interview with Rolling Stone conducted shortly after news of their impending induction broke, frontman Billie Joe Armstrong allowed that picking just three songs to encapsulate and celebrate a quarter-century of recording would be no easy feat. "It's hard because there's the Lookout years that are important to us," he said at the time, referring to the band's early punk label. "It would be nice to play something from those years that's meaningful."
Even so, Armstrong said, he relished the opportunity to perform the songs, as well as to revisit a long and eventful journey that began when he and bassist Mike Dirnt formed their first band, Sweet Children, as MTV-addicted middle schoolers. "We can look back with gratitude and reflect with gratitude without feeling like it's some nostalgic trip."
Green Day's induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame actually offered the band a brief respite from a period of difficulty and uncertainty; off the road since March 2014, the band members have understandably been more concerned with Dirnt's wife's recovery from breast cancer and touring guitarist Jason White's battle with tonsil cancer than with recording or touring. They warmed up for their big moment at the Rock Hall with a show at Cleveland's House of Blues Thursday night, which broke a two-year live hiatus and celebrated their early years (the band's first drummer, John Kiffmeyer, joined for a flash back to their Nineties days).
"We're family," Armstong explained to Rolling Stone. "I've always wanted to have that atmosphere where we run things because of the way we learned to do things through the punk years. It's always been run in a collective way where we're able to say the things we need to say, but also be able to listen to each other. It's not perfect. Nothing is perfect. We have this bond and it's about the music. We're a gang and we've always been that way… We need to be there for each other in a different way rather than standing next to each other and playing really loud."
Not that there's anything wrong with playing really loud, of course — and for their three songs on Saturday night, Green Day did just that. "For me, rock & roll is not an outdated term," Armstrong told Rolling Stone. "To me, it means freedom. It was a way for me to express myself and I'm eternally grateful for the fact that I've been able to do that pretty much my whole life. It's never lost that meaning for me, whether I'm a fan myself or for Green Day fans. It's just the most liberating thing in the world. The fact that we're getting recognized for it in the company we have, it's just an incredible feeling."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/green-day-pummel-rock-hall-with-ecstatic-induction-ceremony-set-20150419

Yes that's why I said that the teacher was coherent on the C, because most likely he was just using the task to test his grammar, spelling, etc. It's just that I think that you shouldn't only evaluate that, plus I think that when you're 9 there's still plenty grammar and spelling you have yet to learn, to be "disccounting points" for everyone of those mistakes. It's actually that I think (and I can't see how everyone in the world thinks this, I'm still amazed sometimes when I read some ideas about education) that we should "asses, evaluate, and look for areas of improvement" in both the grammar etc and the content. How can we pretend to "model" fully developed persons when we can't see this?

i honestly don't understand what you're getting at. how are you supposed to mark a kid on their childhood dreams? "billie wants to be a musician, okay, that's a D, but jimmy wants to be an investment banker so he gets a B+"? marking something personal like that is a futile exercise given its inherently subjective nature, as opposed to objective grammar and spelling rules.

Here, the picture of Billie from the right looks like one of the Nimrod portraits... I don't have that picture!!! :o and it's so cute! :runaround:

tumblr_nn2fiqgs5H1rf9k3oo1_1280.jpg

I finally saw the video of their speech and omg, I cried during Mike's speech and when Billie thanked Addie, it was beautiful! Congrats to my boys, they deserve this and all the good things in life! What a time to be alive and be a Green Day fan! :wub:

Here, the picture of Billie from the right looks like one of the Nimrod portraits... I don't have that picture!!! :o and it's so cute! :runaround:

I haven't seen that one either! It looks great!! :D

i honestly don't understand what you're getting at. how are you supposed to mark a kid on their childhood dreams? "billie wants to be a musician, okay, that's a D, but jimmy wants to be an investment banker so he gets a B+"? marking something personal like that is a futile exercise given its inherently subjective nature, as opposed to objective grammar and spelling rules.

OMG :lol: If Jimmy told the story about wanting to be an investment banker in a way that was creative, I would give him the same grade for creativity that I would give to Billie. There's nothing as being objective really... but we do have to get a little bit further than grammar pretending that we're doing it because grammar is objective and content isn't.

Did you see in my analysis of the text if I mentioned "wanting to be a musician" as something to evaluate? Just take a look again to what I mean by content.

All those Nimrod pics appeared in magazines and as posters in 1997-1999. Not sure which exact ones you're speaking of, but I have scans of them all, or it's among the magazines I did not re-buy yet.

Oh, the memories of being a kid who could not afford to do more than photocopy magazine pages...XD

OMG :lol: If Jimmy told the story about wanting to be an investment banker in a way that was creative, I will give him the same grade for creativity that I would give to Billie. There's nothing as being objective really... but we do have to get a little bit further than grammar pretending that we're doing it because grammar is objective and content isn't.

again, i don't understand what you're getting at. how do you know that billie wasn't awarded marks for creativity - something which is subjective, not objective? in any case, 'creativity' is frankly a ridiculous metric by which to mark a piece, unless the task calls specifically for creativity. even then, your idea of creativity won't be the same as mine, which won't be the same as billie's, or his teacher's, etc.

i'm honestly not trying to be rude, and wondering if i'm understanding you correctly, but to say objectivity doesn't exist is simply ridiculous.

These last days events have made me cry more than once, even though I sitting on the other side of the world. One thing that really made me emotional was seeing Billie and Tim together. I can't count how many times I have dreamt of the two of them together on the same stage playing Radio. It's all still a bit surreal.. Anyways, their speech at the induction was the best I've ever heard. I am so happy for them. You can't find a more down to earth band. I just wonder if anybody out there knows of any photos of Tim at the induction ceremony, or pics with Billie and Tim together but not from the stage... I pretty obsessed about it ? I love Green Day and I love the Green Day community . We are all genuine fans, not just the music but everything around and about ? I think we are the best fans s band can have.

Archived