Lone

GDC Feedback and Help

Daddy.
1 minute ago, maryjanewhatsername said:

So I was in a thread and at the bottom where it says whose viewing it there were some that were italicized. What does that mean?? 

They're typing. (I think)

• Like 2

Beerjeezus

@maryjanewhatsername it's people who are typing

• Like 2

maryjanewhatsername
5 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

Thank you @Jane Lannister ❤️

• Love 1

Second favourite son
1 hour ago, Jane Lannister said:

Are you sure?  I thought it was people in the members (supporter ) category.  But I could be wrong.

Edit: ok scratch that I’m wrong lol, must be that they’re typing

AlissaGoesRAWR
3 hours ago, Jane Lannister said:

Well, I learned something new today. :lol:

• Haha 2

Beerjeezus
8 hours ago, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

Well, I learned something new today. :lol:

I can't pretend I'm an expert - I only know because I asked a couple pages ago :lol:

maryjanewhatsername

@Jane Lannister I HAVE ANOTHER DUMB QUESTION what does it mean when someone is a "supporter" on this site?? Like what's the difference between that and a normal member?

pouty bitch
22 minutes ago, maryjanewhatsername said:

@Jane Lannister I HAVE ANOTHER DUMB QUESTION what does it mean when someone is a "supporter" on this site?? Like what's the difference between that and a normal member?

If I recall correctly, supporters are members who have donated money to help the site.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

maryjanewhatsername
1 minute ago, G-L-O-R-I-A said:

If I recall correctly, supporters are members who have donated money to help the site.

Cool! I remember I did when the site went down because I missed it!! :) 

Second favourite son
23 minutes ago, maryjanewhatsername said:

Supporters are members who have given a bit of money (I think at least $5, but not 100% sure) to help with the running costs of the site.  As a result, they get an ad-free version of the site.  Andres occasionally puts out a request for people to donate if we’re short of money or have large upcoming bills, so worth keeping an eye out if it’s something you’re interested in.  Sites like these are surprisingly expensive to run.

• Like 2

maryjanewhatsername
Just now, Second favourite son said:

Supporters are members who have given a bit of money (I think at least $5, but not 100% sure) to help with the running costs of the site.  As a result, they get an ad-free version of the site.  Andres occasionally puts out a request for people to donate if we’re short of money or have large upcoming bills, so worth keeping an eye out if it’s something you’re interested in.  Sites like these are surprisingly expensive to run.

I donated when it popped up on Twitter in order to keep it up so I totally get that!!

DeJennsitized

If I can recall correctly, it was a specific donation campaign thingy, around the time of Bang Bang's release. I dunno if it's a regular thing, but maybe it'll be suggested again at some point! 

Second favourite son
4 minutes ago, DeJennsitized said:

If I can recall correctly, it was a specific donation campaign thingy, around the time of Bang Bang's release. I dunno if it's a regular thing, but maybe it'll be suggested again at some point! 

I’ll ask the team

• Thanks 2

Daddy.

Sorry for posting in the other thread:

First of all, I accept my warning. It's stupid to keep arguing - but things have to be said.

The reason I'm posting this in the public instead of in a PM is because apart from the people who don't care - who probably outweigh me greatly - this is honestly a train of thought that needs to be said.

It might comes across as a attack against said member - but if a good chunk of people agree with what is being said, shouldn't that be investigated and discussed more? I mean, I know it's one member  that has come out and said that they don't use this website because of it but maybe other members are discouraged to post about this and can only like because they don't want to risk anything or don't care.

They probably don't care and that's why this arguing will just be fruitless but we all have a right to offer our voices. 

Just my thoughts: But recently, before this whole story which yes has run dry, there's just been more arguments, more hostility in the last few months. Shouldn't this be raised more instead of warnings and suspensions? I know I'm lumped in with probably a group of members on this site but I speak of this through my own accord.

Shouldn't we just open the floor to a moderated discussion about people and their thoughts about each other in a manner where we can communicate like a face to face debate so we can air feedback/grievances to each other and work to make a more argument-free community? Partially because people won't see these arguments and roll their eyes and probably because people might want to say something. Give people a open forum to say something.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Fuzz

My approach to moderating has always been to try and keep it out of the public discourse as much as possible. But this blanket assumption that the mod team doesn't discuss concerns that are raised is incorrect. We see the same things you guys do. We agree on some level. What we really don't like is people continuing to hijack threads to go after each other. No mater whatever riotousness you feel, it's not helpful to the community at large. Members have the ability to report other users. If you think someone is doing something harmful to the community, report it. Don't hijack a thread for likes. 

The thing is, you guys don't see the conversations we have with other members. You don't see the conversations we have between ourselves. And there's a reason for that. That doesn't mean that everything is being ignored.

• Like 2

Joe.
1 minute ago, Daddy. said:

Sorry for posting in the other thread:

First of all, I accept my warning. It's stupid to keep arguing - but things have to be said.

The reason I'm posting this in the public instead of in a PM is because apart from the people who don't care - who probably outweigh me greatly - this is honestly a train of thought that needs to be said.

It might comes across as a attack against said member - but if a good chunk of people agree with what is being said, shouldn't that be investigated and discussed more? I mean, I know it's one member  that has come out and said that they don't use this website because of it but maybe other members are discouraged to post about this and can only like because they don't want to risk anything or don't care.

They probably don't care and that's why this arguing will just be fruitless but we all have a right to offer our voices. 

Just my thoughts: But recently, before this whole story which yes has run dry, there's just been more arguments, more hostility in the last few months. Shouldn't this be raised more instead of warnings and suspensions? I know I'm lumped in with probably a group of members on this site but I speak of this through my own accord.

Shouldn't we just open the floor to a moderated discussion about people and their thoughts about each other in a manner where we can communicate like a face to face debate so we can air feedback/grievances to each other and work to make a more argument-free community? Partially because people won't see these arguments and roll their eyes and probably because people might want to say something. Give people a open forum to say something.  

Feels like the issues just been dismissed which is only going to lead to it resurfacing in the future. Ive had conversations with mods years ago about said user, took it to PM as was told and as memory serves just ended up just ending the conversation as it was pointless. I appreciate there's two sides to every story but the lack of attention this appears to have had just puts me off GDC. (I know im not regular so won't be missed).

This along with the merging of Other Artists into General Chat to make it hard to find and navigate is killing the forum. The Other Artists decision especially as now the band aren't active is surely where a significant portion of activity is? Again mods know better than me so maybe im just wrong.

I'd strongly recommend joining the All is Love:AF Gang page on Facebook which is a great example of a hugely positive fan group. Obviously there are differences but there are those that are openly "in the know" and get on great with everyone else and manage to hint at things without looking down their noses.

This wasn't meant to be a personal attack but is a personal issue. I don't want to be put off or even banned from posting but I think this should be discussed. I understand running this is hard and nobodies perfect but I don't think this is being handled in the best way when there's clearly underlying tension

• Like 2

I don't care

Let me get this straight, Andr*s. You ask members to post their complaints in the Feedback thread, and when they do, you very conveniently suspend them. Okay. Fine. But then replying to their post when they cunt see it? Nice

• Like 2

Fuzz
Just now, Joe. said:

Feels like the issues just been dismissed which is only going to lead to it resurfacing in the future. Ive had conversations with mods years ago about said user, took it to PM as was told and as memory serves just ended up just ending the conversation as it was pointless. I appreciate there's two sides to every story but the lack of attention this appears to have had just puts me off GDC. (I know im not regular so won't be missed).

It's not being ignored. We just don't make a habit of trying to make all our conversations public. 

Just now, Joe. said:

This along with the merging of Other Artists into General Chat to make it hard to find and navigate is killing the forum. The Other Artists decision especially as now the band aren't active is surely where a significant portion of activity is? Again mods know better than me so maybe im just wrong.

It may feel that way to you, but it's not reality. Things are not more or less active now than they were before. I was pretty careful in reviewing activity of other subforums before making the decision. Other Artists was very very quiet. If it wasn't, I wouldn't have felt the need to merge it.

Just now, Joe. said:

I'd strongly recommend joining the All is Love:AF Gang page on Facebook which is a great example of a hugely positive fan group. Obviously there are differences but there are those that are openly "in the know" and get on great with everyone else and manage to hint at things without looking down their noses.

This wasn't meant to be a personal attack but is a personal issue. I don't want to be put off or even banned from posting but I think this should be discussed. I understand running this is hard and nobodies perfect but I don't think this is being handled in the best way when there's clearly underlying tension

I'm always happy to look at other places to see how they do things and trying to make positive changes to GDC. I am curious to how those of you who aren't moderators would try to define the rules here? Should we suspend people because they don't get along with a certain group of people? If so, how do you define that in a fair way that doesn't just lead others to accuse you of being unfair? 

1 minute ago, I don't care said:

Let me get this straight, Andr*s. You ask members to post their complaints in the Feedback thread, and when they do, you very conveniently suspend them. Okay. Fine. But then replying to their post when they cunt see it? Nice

I haven't suspended anyone who has posted here....

I don't care
2 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

I haven't suspended anyone who has posted here....

Oh you haven’t? In that case maybe you should have a talk with that mod army of yours :)

Second favourite son
3 minutes ago, I don't care said:

I suspended them for their posts in the GD News Thread, after discussion with and agreement from several other team members.  If they read the notes with the suspension, the reasoning should be clear.  I’m on my mobile, so was slow and they posted in here in the time it took me to do so.

Fuzz
Just now, I don't care said:

Oh you haven’t? In that case maybe you should have a talk with that mod army of yours :)

We gave our warnings 2 hours ago about going off topic in that thread. Then 2 people continued. So they got another warning. That doesn't seem unfair to me.

Bully Hoe
11 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

I'm always happy to look at other places to see how they do things and trying to make positive changes to GDC. I am curious to how those of you who aren't moderators would try to define the rules here? Should we suspend people because they don't get along with a certain group of people? If so, how do you define that in a fair way that doesn't just lead others to accuse you of being unfair? 

Since we, as you so rightly said, don't know what's going on behind the scenes and what you mods talk about, maybe you should be a little more vocal about what you do and talk about in secret. I'm not saying tell us everything, but we have no idea what you discuss or do not discuss. So maybe, in a case like with Adam who is constantly writing huge off-topic novels, immediately resorts to personal assumptions about others and belittles them, doesn't listen to warnings and acts like a general dick, what could help is paying more attention and call him out for his bullshit before other people feel the need to (and not just "stop being off topic" but really put him in his place) and things inevitably escalate. If you see what's going on and have the same opinion, as you said, then show it and punish him for ignoring warnings or maybe hand out a suspension when his 2-week-warning point expires and he's on the same shit once again when he doesn't fear being suspended anymore but can risk getting another simple warning point that restricts him in no way. Do the same for all users and it'll be fair. 

• Like 1

Fuzz
Just now, Billie Hoe said:

Since we, as you so rightly said, don't know what's going on behind the scenes and what you mods talk about, maybe you should be a little more vocal about what you do and talk about in secret. I'm not saying tell us everything, but we have no idea what you discuss or do not discuss. So maybe, in a case like with Adam who is constantly writing huge off-topic novels, immediately resorts to personal assumptions about others and belittles them, doesn't listen to warnings and acts like a general dick, what could help is paying more attention and call him out for his bullshit before other people feel the need to (and not just "stop being off topic" but really put him in his place) and things inevitably escalate. If you see what's going on and have the same opinion, as you said, then show it and punish him for ignoring warnings or maybe hand out a suspension when his 2-week-warning point expires and he's on the same shit once again when he doesn't fear being suspended anymore but can risk getting another simple warning point that restricts him in no way. Do the same for all users and it'll be fair. 

Fair point to say we should stop it before it gets out of hand. It'd be easier for us to do that if people reported those posts and didn't just wait for us to show up and yell at us for not doing anything. But none-the-less, it's a fair concern. 

Bully Hoe
4 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

Fair point to say we should stop it before it gets out of hand. It'd be easier for us to do that if people reported those posts and didn't just wait for us to show up and yell at us for not doing anything. But none-the-less, it's a fair concern. 

Of course everyone should do their part, but the last time when things escalated and I reported him, I got a warning saying "You can't report people for going off topic or saying dumb shit when you continue to instigate it." (When imo I wasn't really instigating anything there, simply reacting and the last thing I said in relation to Adam was vaguely saying I had put him on ignore... and continued to be on topic, if I remember correctly.) So not really sure what the right thing to do here is...

• Like 1

Fuzz
Just now, Billie Hoe said:

Of course everyone should do their part, but the last time when things escalated and I reported him, I got a warning saying "You can't report people for going off topic or saying dumb shit when you continue to instigate it." (When imo I wasn't really instigating anything there, simply reacting and the last thing I said in relation to Adam was vaguely saying I had put him on ignore... and continued to be on topic, if I remember correctly.) So not really sure what the right thing to do here is...

There was a handful of you just going back and forth with him. It wasn't to say what he was doing was ok, and the warning he got was more than what everyone else did. But when we looked at it all, it was basically 5 or 6 people arguing with each other, and only reporting it when they were annoyed. So we had multiple reports from people all related to the same argument, which all could have been avoided if it was just reported from the start and not after a page or two of bitching at each other.