will green day bounce back?

peppermint butler

what im wondering is will green day ever make some sort of comeback, and do you think green day will make another album where the production is the kind akin to nimrod/warning (those being my favorite eras)

well this has become something i didn't intend :lol: the trilogy is one of my favorite things they've eve done. what i meant was, do you think the general public will ever see green day as the "popular band they once were" (which i find to be bullshit, cause green day is the bomb.com)

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what im wondering is will green day ever make some sort of comeback, and do you think green day will make another album where the production is the kind akin to nimrod/warning (those being my favorite eras)

Comeback - not sure. Maybe. I hope so but if I had to guess I would say no. I'm not sure they have the desire anymore. If they do, I think the record will be very different from anything they have done in the past.

they'll probably come back. but not anytime soon because britt is sick but after they'll prob consider doing another album.

I think they'll probably just exist in the background now, still sort of there. I can't see another huge American idiot style explosion again, rock isn't as mainstream as it once was.

I hope they ditch the whole concept/theme/story thing, just write some good music and start touring again. I can't see anything huge happening until Britt gets the all clear or is well enough to travel with Mike.

Well they're not a band anymore so how could they?

That joke is getting a little old

I'm sure they'll make a comeback, just not in the impact of American Idiot (they won't reach that height again, and I think that's for the best). I'm hoping they'll make an album in the style of nimrod./Warning:. At this point in their career, they need another reflective album with mild social commentary and experimental instrumentation.

That joke is getting a little old

It's not a joke. I've made it quite clear why I think the band is done.

It's not a joke. I've made it quite clear why I think the band is done.

Yes but your opinion doesn't make it official

I'm not the kinda guy that prefers new albums over old albums, so to me they'll never be better than what they were.

Yes but your opinion doesn't make it official

Yeah, and? I'm answering the question posed by the thread based on my opinion.

Green Day have great bouncebackability (its an actual word look it up)

Bounced back before after Warning, can do it again, but I highly doubt it will be anywhere near the scale as to what they were. I can see them touring steadily, relying mainly on greatest hits and deep album cuts (maybe a few full album tours) with the odd new album, I wouldn't say any more than 3 max. I can see them operating at an arena level but I believe people will mainly see them as a nostalgia act :/

For further insight on how they will bounce back, read Tre's book:

Mr.Bounce.jpg

I believe they will try it. There is still a fair chance that they will succeed, but it's likely that they will never be as huge as before. Which doesn't have to be a bad thing if they can handle it well.

Green Day have great bouncebackability (its an actual word look it up)

Bounced back before after Warning, can do it again, but I highly doubt it will be anywhere near the scale as to what they were. I can see them touring steadily, relying mainly on greatest hits and deep album cuts (maybe a few full album tours) with the odd new album, I wouldn't say any more than 3 max. I can see them operating at an arena level but I believe people will mainly see them as a nostalgia act :/

For further insight on how they will bounce back, read Tre's book:

This is exactly the scenario that scares me the most. I don't think bouncing back this way is good for anything else than making a lot of money from "last tours" and greatest hits etc... Focusing on making decent new music can make them a successful (yet probably a smaller) band that is still relevant. That's the harder, less likely, but more perspective way.

They can bounce back, they've aldready shown that ability, but I'm really not sure. Years will have to pass for sure.

Comeback - not sure. Maybe. I hope so but if I had to guess I would say no. I'm not sure they have the desire anymore. If they do, I think the record will be very different from anything they have done in the past.

Aw shame - I certainly hope they still have the desire otherwise call it quits now ;)

Keep dreaming, it will never happen. Also, if an album goes gold or platinum it doesn't necessarily mean it has good music on it. Just look at Uno :lol:

I don't see why so many of you think it needs to happen, either. It's like you people think that if Green Day loses popularity then that will mean rock music in general will die...

...Oh wait that's what a lot of people on this site actually believe. :lol:

Uno is gold or platinum?

I thought it went gold in the US, but Wikipedia says otherwise. It sold over 250,000 copies in it's first 3 months though, so it probably HAS sold over 500,000 by now.

It's a stupid question, however I guess it's always on our minds. It's impossible to see the future, so all we can do is just sit back and wait. Whether they have the capability to do so, of course they can.

I thought it went gold in the US, but Wikipedia says otherwise. It sold over 250,000 copies in it's first 3 months though, so it probably HAS sold over 500,000 by now.

Then it would have been certified Gold, which is hasn't been.

If history's any indication, yes. They had a breakout success (Dookie/AI), then something that was a success but didn't quite reach the heights of the previous (Insomniac & Nimrod/21CB) released something that wasn't a success (Warning/Trilogy), two years later they released a compilation (Shenanigans/Demolicious), so past events tell us they'll come back in two years.

Rock/Punk/Punk-Pop music it's a genre that goes in roundabouts IMO. Royal Blood seem to be somewhat pushing it back into public eye, even if it's mostly down to marketing. A album with some catchy songs on released at the right time, with the right money behind it. They'll bounce back again. Otherwise they'll just sit comfortably doing tours every now and then like many have already said.

Then it would have been certified Gold, which is hasn't been.

I know I'm probably talking to a brick wall here, but I'm pretty sure the artist's label has to send a request to the RIAA before an album is certified gold/platinum/multi-platinum. You don't just get a certificate in the mail from the RIAA the second your record sells 500,000 copies.

all these comments (as this thread) are so superficial... i didn't even think once about these questions.

im 100% sure green day will record an album within the next 2 years and it will be decent (i listened to my uno dos tre best of playlist again today, and damn it could have been a great single album with a rawer production. even one of their bests).* i'd bet some money on that. sales: who the fuck cares? they will sell more than enough with all their old fans, so it'll more succesfull than many bands could ever dream of. i'm even glad if my favourite bands don't get that overhyped mainstream attention... less lame people on concerts, smaller venues, more fun. but i'm pretty sure green day is capeable of another huge album, regarding the quality of it. and thats all that counts. do you guys only fully enjoy your music when it's trendy, or why do you care so much if it'll be another american idiot?

1. Stay the Night

2. Loss of Control
3. Rusty james
4. Fuck Time
5. Lazy Bones
6. Wild One
7. Stray Heart
8. Ashley
9. Lady Cobra
10. Nightlife
11. Amy
12. Brutal Love