Billie plays at Bob Gruens birthday party

StuckWithDom

So Billie Joe played at Bob Gruens birthday party tonight (don't know the usa time in Australia)

"In front of a packed crowd of Gruens specially invited friends and family, the two performed versions of songs such as the Clashs Jail Guitar Doors, the Ramones Sheena Is A Punk Rocker, and Cheap Tricks Surrender. The hour long show also included a string of special guests including Alice Cooper who kicked off the night with his classic Im Eighteen.

"Speaking to the Post after the show, Armstrong paid tribute to Gruens iconic work which was particularly crucial to the careers of punk and new wave bands like the Ramones, the Clash and Blondie. When youre 15, living in the suburbs and learning about punk rock, Bobs pictures are the ones you tend to gravitate towards. He also recalled the time when Gruen photographed Green Day in 2009. When he took us to the top of the General Electric building, it was amazing to think hed only done this with the Clash, John Lennon, and us.

Earlier in the night, Armstrong, Malin, Harry, Dalle and Cooper had all played at the annual Little Kids Rock benefit concert at Hammerstein Ballroom a charity which provides music lessons and instruments to under-served American schools."

http://nypost.com/2014/10/24/billie-joe-armstrong-jesse-malin-play-secret-nyc-gig/

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bob Gruen, I've seen that name so many places. Seems like a chill dude.

BTW, your avatar is really creepy, where the hell did you find that?

This is great. When I was in New York I accidentally passed by a gallery full of Bob Gruen photography, so I saw many photos he's made through the years, including the Green Day Rockefeller Centre one, at a proper size! haha. :wub:

I love how in the Sheena is a Punk Rocker video Billie checks his phone in the middle of the song :lol:

That had to be the coolest birthday party ever. I agree he was checking the lyrics because he forgot them at that point.

BTW, your avatar is really creepy, where the hell did you find that?

It's a fairly common pic, surprised you haven't seen it before. It's not like a "private pic" or anything. Why is it creepy?

It's a fairly common pic, surprised you haven't seen it before. It's not like a "private pic" or anything. Why is it creepy?

it looks a lot like a private picture. I guess I haven't googled "Billie Joe Armstrong in school" enough the last few years

I love how in the Sheena is a Punk Rocker video Billie checks his phone in the middle of the song :lol:

Where is this:)?

it looks a lot like a private picture. I guess I haven't googled "Billie Joe Armstrong in school" enough the last few years

It's not of Billie's family or his house, it's just him from 1989. Like, there are yearbook pictures of Billie, Mike and Tre on here, how is this any different?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI9FxnNUEd8

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI9FxnNUEd8

www.youtube.com/watch?

v=XI9FxnNUEd8

It's a small club in the east village of nyc

It's not of Billie's family or his house, it's just him from 1989. Like, there are yearbook pictures of Billie, Mike and Tre on here, how is this any different?

it looked private, I don't spend my days shuffling through old green day pictures so it looked creepy. are you feeling targeted or something? you're making a fuzz over 1 comment you could easily have skimmed over. I've already said I think it was creepy and why I think so.

it looked private, I don't spend my days shuffling through old green day pictures so it looked creepy. are you feeling targeted or something? you're making a fuzz over 1 comment you could easily have skimmed over. I've already said I think it was creepy and why I think so.

everybody chill! It's just a photo I saw on Instagram and I thought it related to me (looking absolutely clueless during school!!) :P

Okay, relax :P

^^I think he was looking at the lyrics of the song

The song wasn't complex but that's what it looks like :) lucky audience.

#Billy #Too #Many #Hashtags

Must be a bit of pressure playing at Bob Gruen's birthday party. Imagine playing a Clash song knowing that he has seen the real thing up close and personal. Looks like it was a fun night judging by the names there!

I really wish I knew about this that day. I totally would have tried to bs my way in lol. I only found out the next day:(

I really wish I knew about this that day. I totally would have tried to bs my way in lol. I only found out the next day:(

Nobody knew it happened until after it happened. As it is these shows are usually very strict with entry and you need to be on the list or know someone very important there.

Just now reading about this. What an amazingly cool event and how awesome that Billie played bass!

Archived