Green Day nominated for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Give_Me_Novacaine90

It seems to vary each year. This year, 9 artists/bands were inducted; Last year, 8; in 2012, 17.

Then it seems as though they're guaranteed to be inducted, right...? I'm not too clear on the rules of the HOF as I didn't start following Green Day, or rock music in general, until June of this year.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Then it seems as though they're guaranteed to be inducted, right...? I'm not too clear on the rules of the HOF as I didn't start following Green Day, or rock music in general, until June of this year.

Nothing is guaranteed but they do have a good shot

As far as tickets go, two of my co-workers (one who used to be a member of the Rock and Roll HOF) said as soon as the tickets go up for sale they are immediately sold out. Basically, they told me it's impossible. I'm hoping to find a way to get some, but I'm not too optimistic.

Yeah, that's why I said StubHub or some sort of online option (or maybe even scalpers there?) is really going to be the only way to get into the actual ceremony. Either way, I know I'll drive up there just to see what's going on and creep around. That's what I did when they were there in 2012. Nothing came of it, but it was still fun. I never pass up an excuse to go to Cleveland! I think they also stream the ceremony live on a screen at a nearby venue? Not sure where.

If they get in there should be a gdc meetup at the ceremony

Agreed. Even if we don't all get tickets, we should look into that live streaming option or some sort of celebratory meetup. Or fuck, even an after party somewhere. :D

Yeah, that's why I said StubHub or some sort of online option (or maybe even scalpers there?) is really going to be the only way to get into the actual ceremony. Either way, I know I'll drive up there just to see what's going on and creep around. That's what I did when they were there in 2012. Nothing came of it, but it was still fun. I never pass up an excuse to go to Cleveland! I think they also stream the ceremony live on a screen at a nearby venue? Not sure where.

Agreed. Even if we don't all get tickets, we should look into that live streaming option or some sort of celebratory meetup. Or fuck, even an after party somewhere. :D

YES!!! I need to meet you and Kay and Ceadog and Hannah and Adam and Zack and all the other Americans already.

YES!!! I need to meet you and Kay and Ceadog and Hannah and Adam and Zack and all the other Americans already.

Will you be back in the states by then?!

Yep, I get back December 16th. :D

Sweet! I didn't realize it was just a semester-long thing.

So yeah, the induction ceremony. I live just an hour outside of Cleveland and I'm willing to host meetup shenanigans in the thrilling (lol) city of Sandusky. Brandon and Munchkin will just have to deal with it.

I agree. I'd be down. I already requested work off :)

If they don't make it this year, they will eventually, I'm sure. But there is something especially prideful about seeing them get in immediately!

As far as tickets go, two of my co-workers (one who used to be a member of the Rock and Roll HOF) said as soon as the tickets go up for sale they are immediately sold out. Basically, they told me it's impossible. I'm hoping to find a way to get some, but I'm not too optimistic.

I could have sworn in the past they set aside tickets to sell to the fans of the specific bands... maybe Idiot Nation would have them ? (Never mind, they're crap). Maybe GDA will just be magically given some tickets.

Will Andres be inducted as well?

If they don't make it this year, they will eventually, I'm sure. But there is something especially prideful about seeing them get in immediately!

I could have sworn in the past they set aside tickets to sell to the fans of the specific bands... maybe Idiot Nation would have them ? (Never mind, they're crap). Maybe GDA will just be magically given some tickets.

Will Andres be inducted as well?

Maybe they do, I'm not sure. I'll probably stop at the Rock Hall sometime soon and ask about tickets.

they keep on losing votes!

The poll doesn't really matter. It only counts toward one collective vote.

Sweet! I didn't realize it was just a semester-long thing.

So yeah, the induction ceremony. I live just an hour outside of Cleveland and I'm willing to host meetup shenanigans in the thrilling (lol) city of Sandusky. Brandon and Munchkin will just have to deal with it.

I'm in!

The poll doesn't really matter. It only counts toward one collective vote.

True, but seeing low fan support doesn't reflect well when the journalists and artists go to vote and think about how much a band is loved. But Green Day is definitely one of the most beloved in this group, so...

True, but seeing low fan support doesn't reflect well when the journalists and artists go to vote and think about how much a band is loved. But Green Day is definitely one of the most beloved in this group, so...

Oh, definitely. I just posted that because I think some people think the online poll has more clout than it actually does.

Oh, definitely. I just posted that because I think some people think the online poll has more clout than it actually does.

Seeing as Kraftwerk strangely just gained about 8% or something, I feel as though the only logical conclusion is that either all the rabid Kraftwerk fans just flooded RS, or that there's one unemployed guy just sitting there voting over and over again.

Seeing as Kraftwerk strangely just gained about 8% or something, I feel as though the only logical conclusion is that either all the rabid Kraftwerk fans just flooded RS, or that there's one unemployed guy just sitting there voting over and over again.

I think its more likely that the one unemployed, pathetic Kraftwerk fan wrote a bot.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2014/10/13/green_day_rock_and_roll_hall_of_fame_why_the_band_deserves_to_be_inducted.html

This is a very nice article. Even though I'm not sure influeincing 5SOS is a badge of honor.

I've never heard of Kraftwerk. Not that I'm a musical historian or anything, but...

They're one of the most famous musical acts from Germany ever. I think this is their most well known song, only one I'm familiar with to be fair but they're known as being pioneers of electronic music and hugely influential to many later acts:

Ugh, rather disappointed with the poll results right now--Green Day is still fourth, but now only coming in at 7.72%. No offense to whoever Stevie Ray Vaughn is, but I honestly have never heard of the man. Could it be that he also has a cult following of sorts that is voting over and over again? I've not got much of a problem with Nine Inch Nails, though--I'd just like to see Green Day get the HOF nod. However, I still don't see why GD's getting so much flak in the comments section for allegedly selling out--they haven't really (although I'm still a bit irked over that Twilight gig), and it's not like other rock bands haven't. Johnny Rotten butter commercial much?

Archived