10 years of American Idiot

Fuzz

Just watched Storytellers to commemorate the anniversary. Damn that was a good performance. It's so good to see them at their peak - and sad to think they may never return there.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gosh everyone was so young. Someone on instagram said she turned four (!!!) the day after what was supposed to be our '05 Idiot Tour show (which ended up being postponed til the very end but was still AMAZING). I was 14/15...what a great time to be a teenager. Not to mention Green Day was EVERYWHERE AND I LOVED IT. I was pretty well known at school/around town in those days haha.

tldr; had to throw all this in sry

Gosh everyone was so young. Someone on instagram said she turned four (!!!) the day after what was supposed to be our '05 Idiot Tour show (which ended up being postponed til the very end but was still AMAZING). I was 14/15...what a great time to be a teenager. Not to mention Green Day was EVERYWHERE AND I LOVED IT. I was pretty well known at school/around town in those days haha.

tldr; had to throw all this in sry

I was 22 I wasnt young lol

American Idiot will always hold a place in my heart, it was the first album that I ever listened to completely, front to back, and to this day I still have that same CD that I got for my 10th birthday with the cracked case and the scratches from over-listening. Looking at it just brings back nostalgic memories of being 10 and not having a care in the world and thinking I was the coolest kid at recess for listening to this weird rock band. I can't think of any other album where the lyrics hit me so emotionally. I went through some of the hardest times of my life in the time period between AI and 21stCB, but at the end of the day, I fell back on this album more times than I can remember. I don't listen to it as religiously as I used to, but every now and then I'll pull out my cracked up AI case and pop in the CD, and I am instantly reminded why I fell in love with this band 10 years ago. Sounds stupidly cheesy, but they'll never be any band or artist that will ever replace Green Day in my heart, they've attached themselves to me like some kind of weird tumor.

My kids and my nieces and my nephews and my grand kids and my great grand kids will be listening to American Idiot, I'll make sure of it. Thank you Green Day. Thank you for this amazing album that spoke to me and millions of others. Thank you for everything that you have, and will continue to contribute to music.

Oh my god Tim I didn't know fossils could type.

Thanks to my kid I have my first gray hair lol

I could probably write a book about all my feelings regarding this record, but I'll save that for when I'm retired.

Short story: This album sparked my interest in music, and it gave me an identity that I still carry with me to this day. It may sound like cliches, but when you think about it, that's a huge impact for one record to have on a person. Since then I have listened to, enjoyed, and dare I say, loved many different songs and records by many different artists, but I have yet to find a piece of music that means as much to me as this on does.

This was the first CD I ever owned (aged 10)

I wasn't musically aware really at that age, but I remember AI being huge and getting the album for Christmas. I played it soooo much for weeks.

Funny story, my dad (who was 41 at the time) liked it and bought it himself!

Now, 10 years on, my love for Green Day lies much more at 1990-1995, but I will never forget the impact AI had on me.

Homecoming just came up on shuffle when I was cycling home, and I usually skip it because I don't really feel like long songs then, but now I listened to it (it's just finishing as I'm typing this) and it still hits home with me like the first time I heard it. I'd listen to AI now if it wasn't so late, cause I'm really in the mood for it and that doesn't happen too often anymore + then when I listen to it I appreciate it even more than usual :happy:

Also wmuwse got me into Green Day and I'm still here these years later, so that's for its impact (and the topic of the thread) :P

Shit, I was 11 years and I was still in the elementary school when this album was released. I remember the times I listened this album in 2004/2005, I can't believe 10 years has passed so fast. Fucking time.

Just watched Storytellers to commemorate the anniversary. Damn that was a good performance. It's so good to see them at their peak - and sad to think they may never return there.

I don't know if I'd call it their peak performance wise, in that respect I'd say they were even better by 21st CB. AI shows were clearly great but extremely predictable as well, moreso than any other time. On the 21st CB tour they kept the epicness, energy and structure they'd set up with AI but built on that structure by mixing things up a bit more on top of it, with more varied banter and random stuff happening and slightly more varied setlists, so it was even more entertaining.

That particular performance is one of my all time favourites though!

Storyetellers' rendition of "Homecoming" might be my favorite performance of theirs. :wub:

Storyetellers' rendition of "Homecoming" might be my favorite performance of theirs. :wub:

its such a pity they interrupted it with some bullshit about Freddie Mercury

I don't know if I'd call it their peak performance wise, in that respect I'd say they were even better by 21st CB. AI shows were clearly great but extremely predictable as well, moreso than any other time. On the 21st CB tour they kept the epicness, energy and structure they'd set up with AI but built on that structure by mixing things up a bit more on top of it, with more varied banter and random stuff happening and slightly more varied setlists, so it was even more entertaining.

That particular performance is one of my all time favourites though!

Oh in terms of their performances/setlists, I think Breakdown is probably their peak, but I guess I was just referring to a general sense of nostalgia for this particular era (not that I was a fan at that time) as it was their peak in terms of popularity and album quality (in my opinion). As in, it's good to see them performing when they were at the height of their popularity.

As far as I remember, there are only 3 pro shot performances of Homecoming; this one, comp'd and krock (or whatever it was called) in 2004. To make a fair comparison, I shall have to view all three of these performances to find out which is best. For science. :sherlock:

Oh in terms of their performances/setlists, I think Breakdown is probably their peak, but I guess I was just referring to a general sense of nostalgia for this particular era (not that I was a fan at that time) as it was their peak in terms of popularity and album quality (in my opinion). As in, it's good to see them performing when they were at the height of their popularity.

As far as I remember, there are only 3 pro shot performances of Homecoming; this one, comp'd and krock (or whatever it was called) in 2004. To make a fair comparison, I shall have to view all three of these performances to find out which is best. For science. :sherlock:

Ahh, in that case I understand and agree!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Looking Back at American Idiot, 10 Years Later: 6 Facts about the Classic Rock Opera

http://dailynexus.com/2014-10-28/looking-back-at-american-idiot-10-years-later-6-facts-about-the-classic-rock-opera/

American Idiot: still relevant ten years later

http://www.csusignal.com/2014/american-idiot-still-relevant-ten-years-later/

• 3 weeks later...

It's crazy to think I was like 14 when I first heard American Idiot. A guy I had a crush on at the time really liked Green Day, so I guess he kind of inspired me to check them out. I was already familiar with Green Day because I heard Boulevard of Broken Dreams and Holiday, but it was around 2005 that I actually took the time to sit at my computer and check out the entire album. I remember thinking Jesus of Suburbia was so badass...it was so different than anything I had ever listened to. I immediately fell in love with the whole album.

After getting into American Idiot, I started delving deeper into their discography and literally spent hours listening to their music. I remember thinking that every song I heard was just pure awesomeness...especially FOD. I remember being BLOWN AWAY by that track. I loved their energy, their attitude, and I was amazed by their talent. It was then that I also realized they made some of the songs I loved growing up as a kid: Basket Case and Longview. 1039/Smooth really stood out to me amongst their other albums, and has been my favorite ever since.

My love for Green Day happened so fast, literally within a few days after listening to American Idiot. This was such an awesome time because the band was super popular and on TV all the time. I remember Fuse had Green Day specials where they would play their music videos all day and show live performances and interviews. I became a "hardcore fan" and bought so much Green Day stuff. I bought all their albums, Bullet In a Bible, Green Day magnets for my school locker, pins for my backpack, notebooks, pens, shirts. Lol I was all decked out for school! :lol: I was a nerd at this time, but Green Day really inspired me to not give a fuck what people thought. Even to this day, I can't not listen to Green Day's music (AI & prior) without getting this feeling of ballsy-ness.

It was because of American Idiot that I discovered the first band that I really, really loved and obsessed over. Although middle school wasn't the best time for me, Green Day had a huge impact on my life & gave me something to be passionate about. I will always love Green Day, and I'm so thankful I discovered them :)

• 4 months later...

Archived