What if 21CB had been released before AI?

grene cniht

I know it's quite a weird question, because, to some extent, 21st Century Breakdown is American Idiot's son, and we can hardly imagine 21CB to be released without AI. But what if the band had created something like 21CB instead of AI? Would it have gotten the same success as AI?

In my opinion it would have done even better in terms of positive reviews, sellings and popularity, which is basically to say that it would have been considered as one of the most successful records in the last 20 years, given that American Idiot was such a huge success for both the band and punk-rock music.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually don't think it would've done as well as AI. It was a fantastic album, but AI is more "punk" and better suited for their "comeback" (I refuse to actually call it a comeback because they never went anywhere). 21CB is a bit too much of a departure from their expected sound to really take back the world's attention like AI did.

No one actually suggested any more. Feel free to answer the question being asked.

...wouldn't change anything. Still garbage the same as AI.

...wouldn't change anything. Still garbage the same as AI.

garabage?! American idiot and 21st century breakdown are garbage?! I honestly wonder if you're a horrible troll sometimes, or instead just really, really fucking dumb

garabage?! American idiot and 21st century breakdown are garbage?! I honestly wonder if you're a horrible troll sometimes, or instead just really, really fucking dumb

Crikey!

If 21stCB had been released before AI then Green Day wouldn't have gotten the same amount of praise as if they would've released AI first. AI was a birth into a new generation of punk. I also sort of like the rock opera thing they've been doing so.....yeah.

-Oh, and also Billie Joe might have not decided to keep his hair black n fluffy for this long. JUST SAYIN'

If it was, then I'd have never fallen in love with Green Day. So thanks for hypothetically ruining my life :)

Well you ruined mine when you said this:

I had a wild jungle last year. RIP my pubes, Sept 2013 - Feb 2014. You won't be missed

And not even hypothetically.

I actually don't think it would've done as well as AI. It was a fantastic album, but AI is more "punk" and better suited for their "comeback" (I refuse to actually call it a comeback because they never went anywhere). 21CB is a bit too much of a departure from their expected sound to really take back the world's attention like AI did.

AI is far from being punk...

AI is far from being punk...

I know, but it's more punk than 21CB, and about as punk as Dookie was, so it'd be better than 21CB at bringing Green Day back to the forefront of music.

If you think American Idiot is punk then you're obviously comparing it to gross 21st century punk bands like everything that's in Kerrang, and not comparing it to the early punk bands or the east bay punk bands that Green Day was influenced by.

If you think American Idiot is punk then you're obviously comparing it to gross 21st century punk bands like everything that's in Kerrang, and not comparing it to the early punk bands or the east bay punk bands that Green Day was influenced by.

Honestly, if punk is just about relatively simple instrumentation, chord progressions, and production, I'd say that Green Day's stuff through Nimrod. could be considered punk, just very melodic punk. Even in Nimrod. they were diversifying though, and obviously Warning firmly shifted them away from the genre entirely.

Honestly, if punk is just about relatively simple instrumentation, chord progressions, and production, I'd say that Green Day's stuff through Nimrod. could be considered punk, just very melodic punk. Even in Nimrod. they were diversifying though, and obviously Warning firmly shifted them away from the genre entirely.

Yep, I agree. Up through Nimrod was punk, and after that they became more "stadium" as someone said, whatever that means. It's difficult for me to classify Warning-21CB and then Tre, cause I don't listen to any other bands that are similar to those styles. So I have no clue where to go with those.

Yep, I agree. Up through Nimrod was punk, and after that they became more "stadium" as someone said, whatever that means. It's difficult for me to classify Warning-21CB and then Tre, cause I don't listen to any other bands that are similar to those styles. So I have no clue where to go with those.

Warning is a weird blend of folk rock and pop rock. AI and 21CB are varied, but overall classic 70s-style hard rock a la The Who, and Queen's more anthemic stuff. The Trilogy is pretty much pure pop rock. That's how I categorize them anyway. I suppose if one were being generous they could say a lot of the Trilogy is "punk" because of the simple progressions, but the production isn't anywhere near dirty enough IMO.

Warning is a weird blend of folk rock and pop rock. AI and 21CB are varied, but overall classic 70s-style hard rock a la The Who, and Queen's more anthemic stuff. The Trilogy is pretty much pure pop rock. That's how I categorize them anyway. I suppose if one were being generous they could say a lot of the Trilogy is "punk" because of the simple progressions, but the production isn't anywhere near dirty enough IMO.

Yeah, Uno is more pop punk, dos is more dirty pop-rock, and Tre is, again, indescribable when you have such oddballs as Brutal Love, DRB, and The Forgotten.

Archived