Billie Joe to honor Joan Jett at 'Little Kids Rock' gala in NYC October 23rd

AngelBlue_

http://www.greendayauthority.com/news/4956/

Billie Joe will be part of the Little Kids Rock gala honoring Joan Jett next month in New York City. The annual benefit helps to raise money for the Little Kids Rock charity, which provides music education in public schools across the US.

Other musicians listed alongside Billie Joe are: Alice Cooper, Tommy James, Jake Clemons, Darlene Love, Brody Dalle, Glen Hansard, and of the course, the honoree, Joan Jett.

The benefit will take place October 23rd at The Manhatten Center in New York City. More info about the charity and this benefit can be found at littlekidsrock.org.

(GDA)

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brilliant! Hopefully there'll be footage so we can see him perform and/or fanboy about Joan Jett :D. Cool that it's for a good cause as well

It's a benefit. Most of the money goes to the charity.

i know its a benefit, but still. isnt charity about giving what you can? i'd gladly pay $200, but i couldnt afford more than that. maybe they will air it on tv

i know its a benefit, but still. isnt charity about giving what you can? i'd gladly pay $200, but i couldnt afford more than that. maybe they will air it on tv

It's just about raising as much money to help the charity as possible. Sometimes that's done by getting lots of people to give a little, sometimes it's done by getting a small number of people (who can afford to give a lot) to give a lot. Depends on what the charity is, its size, how well known it is, what they've got available to sell/offer etc, whatever will be most effective for the charity is what they'll do. In this case with a limited number of seats available and plenty of rich people who can afford to pay over $1000 for them it makes sense to sell them for that instead of $200 as they'll make 5 times as much for the charity that way. I do hope we see some footage of it though!

This is really cool after she supported Green Day in 2010. It's an interesting passing of the torch in a way.

Wait, what did she do for Green Day in 2010?

Wait, what did she do for Green Day in 2010?

I saw her open for them in Manchester and it was absolutely awesome. I didn't even realise she'd done more shows with them.

I saw her open for them in Manchester and it was absolutely awesome. I didn't even realise she'd done more shows with them.

I saw her at Wembley Stadium - it was, as Billie said at the time, "the greatest rock concert of all time". Except for the Brixton gig, because small venues are always better.

I saw her at Wembley Stadium - it was, as Billie said at the time, "the greatest rock concert of all time". Except for the Brixton gig, because small venues are always better.

Yeah, to be honest the Manchester show on that run was the worst time I've seen them. I just didn't like the outdoor atmosphere I guess, plus I was miles away. Manchester Arena in 2009 was easily the best, then the same venue in 2005 and Brixton comes third, for me. It was still an awesome show but I prefer arena spectacles, y'know?

Yeah, to be honest the Manchester show on that run was the worst time I've seen them. I just didn't like the outdoor atmosphere I guess, plus I was miles away. Manchester Arena in 2009 was easily the best, then the same venue in 2005 and Brixton comes third, for me. It was still an awesome show but I prefer arena spectacles, y'know?

I was lucky enough to be on the first row of seats at Wembley Stadium (I never go in moshpits for arena/stadium gigs because I want to live), and it was fantastic. I saw them at O2 Arena and Wembley Arena in 2009 and I was at the back row of seats, but that was offest at the O2 by the fact that it was my first Green Day concert, and offset at Wembley Arena by the fact that it was only a week since I first saw them. I saw them at the Emirates Stadium as well, but the first row of seats are level with the standing area, so I saw basically nothing. The sound was still great, but something just feels off about gigs in daylight.

I was lucky enough to be on the first row of seats at Wembley Stadium (I never go in moshpits for arena/stadium gigs because I want to live), and it was fantastic. I saw them at O2 Arena and Wembley Arena in 2009 and I was at the back row of seats, but that was offest at the O2 by the fact that it was my first Green Day concert, and offset at Wembley Arena by the fact that it was only a week since I first saw them. I saw them at the Emirates Stadium as well, but the first row of seats are level with the standing area, so I saw basically nothing. The sound was still great, but something just feels off about gigs in daylight.

Yeah, exactly. Are We The Waiting in broad daylight just wasn't right. It's harder to focus on the stage when you can see everything all around you perfectly clearly.

Archived