Dirty Rotten Bastards : The Green Day's legacy

Johnny Higher

A great band is just not a band who play great music, you recognize a great to his child. Elvis, The Clash, The Ramones, Eddie Cochran, The Beatles all this artits lead the way to the new generations and inspired so many great bands. Like a big circle of music.

The question is : what will be the Green Day's legacy ? A few Dirty Rotten Bastards ?

After Dookie we saw various shitty band pseudo-punk-skate-rebel bands pop up, the same with American Idiot we saw emo-punk-dressinblack bands sing shit on the waves.

A few weeks ago I remember a news on GDA where 5 Seconds of Summer claim their love to Green Day, etc...
So I listen some of their songs and... what a shame... That's heavy sh*t.

After the Rolling Stones, The Clash, Queen or U2, I think sometimes Green Day is the very last rock band that will make history of music. And no one is there to take over.

So what will be the Green Day's legacy ? What do you think of that guys ?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm afraid you're right. I was wondering the same a few weeks ago. unfortunately it doesn't seem like there's another band/artist who will take over after Green Day left the stage forever. there's nothing ready and good enough to do so and this thought kind of breaks my heart.

I agree that since the nineties we don't see any good bands appearing os lasting more than one or two good songs.. it's a shame, the most of the good bands in activity born a long time ago

In the short term, the last thing most people remember about Green Day is the iHeart Radio incident which would suck if that's the thing most people remember from Green Day. I think in the long term however, their legacy might be that they were one of the, if not the, last hugely popular rock acts. But, it's not a lack of talent is what's preventing another band from doing the same thing, it's the diversification of media fragmenting the audience.

There are plenty of rock bands out there that are both extremely good and very popular--Halestorm and Biffy Clyro immediately spring to mind, and while I'm not a big Foo Fighters fan their popularity is undeniable. Rock's not dead, the American mainstream just has currently awful taste in music, and tastes can change incredibly quickly--Green Day's comeback with AI proved that. You just have to be willing to put some effort into finding good stuff.

A great band is just not a band who play great music, you recognize a great to his child. Elvis, The Clash, The Ramones, Eddie Cochran, The Beatles all this artits lead the way to the new generations and inspired so many great bands. Like a big circle of music.

The question is : what will be the Green Day's legacy ? A few Dirty Rotten Bastards ?

After Dookie we saw various shitty band pseudo-punk-skate-rebel bands pop up, the same with American Idiot we saw emo-punk-dressinblack bands sing shit on the waves.

A few weeks ago I remember a news on GDA where 5 Seconds of Summer claim their love to Green Day, etc...

So I listen some of their songs and... what a shame... That's heavy sh*t.

After the Rolling Stones, The Clash, Queen or U2, I think sometimes Green Day is the very last rock band that will make history of music. And no one is there to take over.

So what will be the Green Day's legacy ? What do you think of that guys ?

I think you've got to look a bit deeper. There are some seriously talented bands around, some even inspired by GD that rock. Not that any of em will make history, but they're worth a listen

I think to say Green Day are the last band who will ever make rock music history is ridiculous. Considering how massive Foo Fighters have got in recent years, as well as the numerous records they've broken, and Biffy Clyo are waiting to take over, that suggestion is just silly. You never know who's going to come out of nowhere, just like Green Day did twice.

I wish I was born in the 50's so instead of having to deal with mediocre music we'd all just have to deal with rampant racism, homophobia, and mysogyny.

Oh wait, bad music has been around pretty much as long as popular music itself has been around.

I think to say Green Day are the last band who will ever make rock music history is ridiculous. Considering how massive Foo Fighters have got in recent years, as well as the numerous records they've broken, and Biffy Clyo are waiting to take over, that suggestion is just silly. You never know who's going to come out of nowhere, just like Green Day did twice.

Foo Fighters is a great band but it's not a "new" band or a band post-Green Day is pretty the same era.

I agree, there's a plenty great bands that came after Green Day, I personally love The Strokes and Coldplay but you know there's no more BIG rock band, mythic rock band who make his time.

It's not about sympathic, talentend bands but "epic" band like Clash, Rolling Stones, AC/DC...

I don't know I made mysleft clear.

I think to say Green Day are the last band who will ever make rock music history is ridiculous.

I don't think anyone's saying that. But let's face it, the music industry looks nothing today like it did even just ten years ago. The Foo Fighters, as popular as they have become, have been establishing themselves since 1995, so it's not like they're a new band. Thanks to the internet it's easier than ever as an artist to reach someone, but harder than ever to reach everyone. I'm thinking we're going to see a lot more of the mid-level audience pull bands like Franz Ferdinand, AFI, and Interpol and less of the huge stadium filling acts like Foo Fighters, U2, and Green Day just due to the fact that traditional sources of audience building have less influence than ever. MTV is dead and rock radio becomes less relevant with every passing day.

Biffy Clyo are waiting to take over

I know a ton of people on GDC have a Biffy Clyro hardon, but they're not that popular here in the States (their last album didn't even chart here), so let's not try and read tea leaves.

Foo Fighters is a great band but it's not a "new" band or a band post-Green Day is pretty the same era.

I agree, there's a plenty great bands that came after Green Day, I personally love The Strokes and Coldplay but you know there's no more BIG rock band, mythic rock band who make his time.

It's not about sympathic, talentend bands but "epic" band like Clash, Rolling Stones, AC/DC...

I don't know I made mysleft clear.

How are Coldplay not a "BIG rock band"? "Viva la Vida" came out 6 years ago and I still can hear it on the radio at least once a day.

This thread is hilarious omfg

What you define as good music isn't exactly global statistics.

New bands come around all the time, and we still have bands like Foo Fighters, Biffy Clyro, Avenged Sevenfold, Paramore, Radiohead, Arctic Monkeys.. the list goes on and on with bands who makes good music. When Green Day started they only sang about not getting to fuck crushes. they grew serious over time. I still have hope for some newer bands like All Time Low. Very promising career so far. They remind me a lot of both Green Day and Blink, and they have been active for only like 9 years, and been popular for less than 6. They may grow into a more serious band that potentially could de-throne Green Day.

New bands come around all the time, and we still have bands like Foo Fighters, Biffy Clyro, Avenged Sevenfold, Paramore, Radiohead, Arctic Monkeys.. the list goes on and on with bands who makes good music. When Green Day started they only sang about not getting to fuck crushes. they grew serious over time. I still have hope for some newer bands like All Time Low. Very promising career so far. They remind me a lot of both Green Day and Blink, and they have been active for only like 9 years, and been popular for less than 6. They may grow into a more serious band that potentially could de-throne Green Day.

iInkFevMFN821.gif

Biffy Clyro seems to be big on GDC, but mostly no one in America (in fact most of the world except the UK) has heard of them. So it's a hugeee stretch to say they are the next big rock band.

New bands come around all the time, and we still have bands like Foo Fighters, Biffy Clyro, Avenged Sevenfold, Paramore, Radiohead, Arctic Monkeys.. the list goes on and on with bands who makes good music.

Avenged Sevenfold is basically the next Nickelback, and most of American music fans feel that way. Paramore was clever and unique until their last album, but they were never capable of being a "huge band."

Bad music has always existed, and so has good music, it's just that right now the mainstream audience and most people like the bad music and are leading it to the top of the charts. Eventually things will come back around just like they have done multiple times in the past 114 years.

Biffy Clyro seems to be big on GDC, but mostly no one in America (in fact most of the world except the UK) has heard of them. So it's a hugeee stretch to say they are the next big rock band.

Avenged Sevenfold is basically the next Nickelback, and most of American music fans feel that way. Paramore was clever and unique until their last album, but they were never capable of being a "huge band."

Bad music has always existed, and so has good music, it's just that right now the mainstream audience and most people like the bad music and are leading it to the top of the charts. Eventually things will come back around just like they have done multiple times in the past 114 years.

Insomniac sucked. 2 first albums sucks. Nimrod was forced. Warning flopped. Trilogy hardly sold at all and would be forgotten even quicker if Billie didn't rage at iHeart. No bands have a spotfree career.

Insomniac sucked. 2 first albums sucks. Nimrod was forced. Warning flopped. Trilogy hardly sold at all and would be forgotten even quicker if Billie didn't rage at iHeart. No bands have a spotfree career.

Insomniac is their third best selling album and also top 3 album

Insomniac sucked. Nimrod was forced.

There is no room for truth nor honor in this bosom of thine; it is all filled up with guts and midriff. Drop into the rotten mouth of Death. :mad:

(Don't die, really. But man, the Shakespearean insult generator is great.)

:P

Insomniac is their third best selling album and also top 3 album

It rode the dookie hype train, of course it sold well

There is no room for truth nor honor in this bosom of thine; it is all filled up with guts and midriff. Drop into the rotten mouth of Death. :mad:

(Don't die, really. But man, the Shakespearean insult generator is great.)

:P

gild my rose, baby

Avenged Sevenfold is basically the next Nickelback

they are the hard rock version of nickelback

Things are different in the UK, and we have The Libertines to thank for that. In 2002 they released Up the Bracket, and a wave of indie bands came with it - The View, The Holloways, The Fratellis and probably more I can't remember. Good music is still around, and it won't leave. History always repeats itself, and music is no exception.

I could name a lot great bands that came after 1987. White Stripes (1997), Foo Fighters, (1994), the list could go on...

Yes there are good bands after Green Day and yes, of course, there is still good music. Can we please stop beating this dead horse and get to the actual point of the thread?

Archived