20 Years since Woodstock '94

Invention Convention

Just thought that I'd bring to everyone's attention that tomorrow it is 20 years since Woodstock 1994 (Mudstock) arguably the best Green Day performance ever.

-

I've re-rendered this video to as HD as possible, so I will switch out that link with my one when it's uploaded, but there you go!

August 14th 1994

August 14th 2014

danny_clinch_Green-Day---Woodstock.jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Best thing ever. I really wish I was around back then. Dookie era was so perfect

Ok so weird that you just posted this, because I'm listening to audio from it as we speak... If I could go back in time I'd be there in a heartbeat!

I was preparing for my wedding in October of that year. I know I saw some of my extended family on the live feed but have no idea if they saw Green Day or not. Will have to ask.

Okay thanks for making me feel old because I WAS there (I was 17) and it definitely was a memorable performance. The sound system completely sucked though and they really didn't sound that great (Billie actually admits this in a 1995 MTV interview with Kurt Loder) and it was, as you know, pouring down rain. What is not really thought of though is the amount of mud there really was. We can see that yeah it looked fun slipping and sliding all around, but the fact of the matter was that you couldn't walk without your feet sinking 6 inches into the mud, there were people everywhere. I mean EVERYWHERE. NO paths to walk, just squeezing through people. Where there weren't people there were tents. Yes there were areas for camping in the woods near the stages, but that quickly got filled and there was no enforcing where people could or could not set up tent. Toilets were overflowing, yes, I took a shit in the woods, food and drink was not only overpriced, but starting to become scarce, and there was no escape. No home to go to at the end of the night.

So, yeah, I'm incredibly happy to be part of history and I'm proud to say I was there, but believe me, you're a lot better off watching an old VHS copy of a copy of a copy of the 30 minute show rather than experiencing that weekend.

I write about this experience and more experiences in 20 years of Green Day shows in my book entitled "My Green Days: the story of a fan & a band" available on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/My-Green-Days-Story-Band/dp/1105745775/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1345313318&sr=1-1&keywords=my+green+days+justin+patrick

Easily their most important gig in their early career. I'll have to watch it - I haven't seen it in years.

Didn't mike's teeth get punched out at the end of the show?

He was mistaken by a security guard as a fan who'd ran on stage, the security guard tackled him and Mike hit a monitor and his two front teeth came out.

You can see him get speared by security at 34:09 in the video in the OP.

I've re-rendered this video to as HD as possible

There's no possible way to "re-render" a video sourced from a VHS tape into an HD-quality video. Attempting to try to would probably fuck up the picture quality completely.

I remember watching this on TV when I was a kid. I looked forward to it for quite a while and it was the closest I could get to actually seeing them live. I also loved how MTV would show individual songs from the performance as music videos at the time.

There's no possible way to "re-render" a video sourced from a VHS tape into an HD-quality video. Attempting to try to would probably fuck up the picture quality completely.

I couldn't think of another way to describe it. I just enhanced colour etc... the video, even for 90s VHS is a bit shit, so it could've sued some tidying up. :)

I love their style too. I just love this blue hairstyle Billie had and the green hair Tre had. And the xxl shirt is just so simple but looks so great on them. And Mike was just so awesome.

Five Great Woodstock '94 Performances

2. Green Day

“What is this free-hippie-love shit? How are you doing, all you rich mother fuckers?” This statement, which he said right before his band started its set, earns Green Day bassist Mike Dirnt the award for most-clever smart ass. (And also the award for making me spit beer on my computer in laughter, since, prior to writing this, I forgot he said it.) Nineteen ninety-four was the year for Green Day. It released Dookie. It broke into the mainstream. It was in prime form live. And its members got into a literal mud-slinging competition with the crowd at Woodstock ’94.

http://www.popmatters.com/post/184697-five-great-woodstock-94-performances/

Archived