Blue Replicas

Jaz924

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum, but I've been playing guitar and listening to Green Day for pretty much my whole life. I have also built and worked on guitars for a very long time. So today I have a question for my fellow Green Day fans and guitar players. If I was to build replica guitars of Billie Joe's famous "Blue" and sell them, would any of you be interested? I'm well aware of BJ Guitars, and I think what that guy does is great and he does a great job of keeping the guitars affordable, but I feel like as a result, the quality and authenticity suffers. What I want to do is make replicas of Blue that are very very close to the real thing.

So basically I have two questions for you guys. Would you be interested in these? And what do YOU think would be a fair price for them if you are interested? Please keep in mind that they would be expensive to make, but a very cool collectors item for guitar players like myself, or even diehard Green Day fans that don't even play guitar.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. Let me know what you think.

-Jaz

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always enjoyed Justin's replicas so I have to ask, what would you do different to him? That will give us a fair idea of costs.

I've always enjoyed Justin's replicas so I have to ask, what would you do different to him? That will give us a fair idea of costs.

Add a Duncan JB pickup like on Billie Joe's, age the guitar a little bit to make it look older like Billie's, and add any other detail that would make it look as close to the real thing as possible.

Add a Duncan JB pickup like on Billie Joe's, age the guitar a little bit to make it look older like Billie's, and add any other detail that would make it look as close to the real thing as possible.

The pickup is a good idea. How would you age it?

The pickup is a good idea. How would you age it?

Probably lightly sand some areas so that it doesn't look so brand new.

Probably lightly sand some areas so that it doesn't look so brand new.

I mean like how would you do it?

Kinda hard to explain

I believe the stickers on the guitars, from BJ Guitars are not to size. If anyone is unsure of anything closely related to Blue or needs to ask a question regarding the history of Blue, PLEASE CONTACT HAMMIE STEIN, his username on green day community is @hammiestein. He is actually in the process of making another replica of blue, and my god it looks great. Every detail is being replicated, and he even has ownership of real stickers, not fake home printed ones.

I've seen many people with knowledge of Blue, but hammie beats them all. Please contact him, he'll be happy to reply (not this week though as he's away haha) but any time after that is fine.

sanding often involves sand paper

Whoops, I thought that said "Probably lightly and some areas so that it doesn't look so brand new." That sentence doesn't make any sense though, so I guess I just can't read.

yeah and please use a neck with the right headstock :D

What do you mean?

BJ guitars is using the wrong headstock design for 'replicas'

I don't see the difference.

:o seriously? it was the first thing that got into my eye..

Then explain the difference to me. I can't see it.

BJ guitars use the big 70's Strat headstocks. which isn't correct if you want a replica. Least the one I have has one. You want the smaller 60's or I believe anything besides the 70's headstock is the normal headstock. I dunno if they've updated at all since I won mine back in 03

correct me if I´m wrong but every guitar coming from Bj guitars I saw had this headstock.. thats not a strat style at all - no matter what year!

theres no need to explain the difference to the original one.. its like day and night!

22lnf8yu.jpg

yeah and please use a neck with the right headstock :D what brand would you use?

I plan on buying the neck and the body and everything separately, so there wouldn't be any specific brand.

So what do you guys think would be a fair price for one?

correct me if I´m wrong but every guitar coming from Bj guitars I saw had this headstock.. thats not a strat style at all - no matter what year!

theres no need to explain the difference to the original one.. its like day and night!

22lnf8yu.jpg

It just looks a little more round to me.

Holy shit there's a lot of trash talking on something I have worked on for many years. As many of you know, I have sold many many guitars all over the world. I have donated to charities (including National Breast Cancer Foundation for Mike's wife), I have given deals to kids who have emailed me asking for a discount because they have been so moved by Green Day and have always wanted a copy of Blue and they are saving up their allowance to buy one. I have spent countless hours trying to find the exact same stickers and REPLICATING THE EXACT SAME SIZE of Billie's. I offer EIGHT versions of my guitar and I have made many people's Christmases, birthdays, bar mitzvah's etc. a very happy time with my guitars, so the amount of shit talk you guys are doing on my business is not appreciated.
Yes, there is overhead of prices of the guitars, straps, materials, running the website, and the time and effort that goes into making these.

Let me explain something to some of you guys.....

First off, you are NOT going to find the amount of actual real stickers out there to make a good amount of guitars. They have to be replicated. Secondly, finding guitars with the "right" headstock is going to add to your price. Remember, Fender OWNS that headstock shape so if you try to replicate it, you are going to have a lawsuit....just like Fernandes had on Billie's Blue. You want to spend $799 so you can have a real Fender headstock? Go for it. I'm glad you have that kind of money because I and a lot of other Green Day fans don't have that money.
Thirdly, the Seymour Duncan humbucker is going to cost you about $100 more, install it yourself, have someone else do it, I don't know, but like I tell my customers....I have sold to beginner guitarists, Green Day tribute bands, and everyone in between and have had 100% customer satisfaction with the way it sounds and looks. I even use one myself when playing live.

So if you know, Jaz924, that I already make these, why are you coming onto my corner and trying to one up me? Make one yourself and leave it at that. I'm for the every man. The one who makes guitars for people who can afford them. You've never seen one of mine in person so don't fucking say that the "quality and authenticity suffers" because I put my best effort into each one.

It's easy to talk about something you've never done, but when it comes down to it, you will realize it's NOT as easy as you think it is, especially when you are making several per week and making sure they are done and shipped out to your customers in less than 2 days.

So I continue to invite Green Day fans to come to my website, and get the BEST replica that I can give you at an affordable price.

So I continue to invite Green Day fans to come to my website, and get the BEST replica that I can give you at an affordable price.

I plan on getting one someday! :)

Holy shit there's a lot of trash talking on something I have worked on for many years. As many of you know, I have sold many many guitars all over the world. I have donated to charities (including National Breast Cancer Foundation for Mike's wife), I have given deals to kids who have emailed me asking for a discount because they have been so moved by Green Day and have always wanted a copy of Blue and they are saving up their allowance to buy one. I have spent countless hours trying to find the exact same stickers and REPLICATING THE EXACT SAME SIZE of Billie's. I offer EIGHT versions of my guitar and I have made many people's Christmases, birthdays, bar mitzvah's etc. a very happy time with my guitars, so the amount of shit talk you guys are doing on my business is not appreciated.

Yes, there is overhead of prices of the guitars, straps, materials, running the website, and the time and effort that goes into making these.

Let me explain something to some of you guys.....

First off, you are NOT going to find the amount of actual real stickers out there to make a good amount of guitars. They have to be replicated. Secondly, finding guitars with the "right" headstock is going to add to your price. Remember, Fender OWNS that headstock shape so if you try to replicate it, you are going to have a lawsuit....just like Fernandes had on Billie's Blue. You want to spend $799 so you can have a real Fender headstock? Go for it. I'm glad you have that kind of money because I and a lot of other Green Day fans don't have that money.

Thirdly, the Seymour Duncan humbucker is going to cost you about $100 more, install it yourself, have someone else do it, I don't know, but like I tell my customers....I have sold to beginner guitarists, Green Day tribute bands, and everyone in between and have had 100% customer satisfaction with the way it sounds and looks. I even use one myself when playing live.

So if you know, Jaz924, that I already make these, why are you coming onto my corner and trying to one up me? Make one yourself and leave it at that. I'm for the every man. The one who makes guitars for people who can afford them. You've never seen one of mine in person so don't fucking say that the "quality and authenticity suffers" because I put my best effort into each one.

It's easy to talk about something you've never done, but when it comes down to it, you will realize it's NOT as easy as you think it is, especially when you are making several per week and making sure they are done and shipped out to your customers in less than 2 days.

So I continue to invite Green Day fans to come to my website, and get the BEST replica that I can give you at an affordable

No one is talking shit about you. It's called criticism. Learn how to take it. I have nothing against you or your company and I wish you nothing but the best.

I don't see why you have to get mad at me just because I'm also interested in building Blue Replicas.

No one is talking shit about you. It's called criticism. Learn how to take it. I have nothing against you or your company and I wish you nothing but the best.

I don't see why you have to get mad at me just because I'm also interested in building Blue Replicas.

Because instead of PMing me or e-mailing me with some of your "criticism" you go on a public forum--a forum that I have been a member of for almost ten years, where I have worked hard to establish a reputation, establish relationships, and ASKED for advice on my guitars--and after less than 10 posts you decide to criticize my work. And like I said before, you've never seen my work in person so, yeah, I am pissed that you said the quality and authenticity suffers.

I CAN take the criticism IF you contacted me personally. NOT when you don't even send me a message about it first.

Here's an e-mail that I woke up to this morning from a customer:

"Just letting you know that I received the guitar tonight. You were right, I absolutely love it. You really did it! I don't even have words, but it's like having a little piece of BIllie Joe himself sitting right here on my lap and that's a feeling I can't even describe. I got emotional when I saw it which is rare for me. I understand why you decided to make these replicas. Thank you so much. You did an astonishing job and I'm overwhelmed."

THIS is what matters to me. If you want to contact me personally, you can PM me or e-mail me at justin@bjguitars.com

I don't really feel like going back and forth with you on the GDC about it. That's not what this forum is all about. Maybe after 6 posts you'll learn that....

Archived