American Idiot's 10 year Anniversary

Fuzz

Why do people stress and always try to predict the future haha, can't we just all relax just like they're doing right now

They're too busy wacking off to DookieLukie pictures to your right now that's why Green Day is on a break

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They're too busy walking off to DookieLukie pictures to your right now that's why Green Day is on a break

ummm what?

They're too busy walking off to DookieLukie pictures to your right now that's why Green Day is on a break

What?

ummm what?

Stupid autocorrect

They're too busy wacking off to DookieLukie's pictures is what it should've said

What?

What I just put

Stupid autocorrect

They're too busy wacking off to DookieLukie's pictures is what it should've said

What I just put

What pictures? I don't get it.

The pics Ceadog posted lol

Nevermind I was just making a joke

The ones he took down?

Thanks? lol

Tbh I don't really care what Green Day do anymore. I'm more into the musical work of Ross Lynch now.

‘American Idiot’ turns 10: Watch Green Day perform right after its release

It’s truly crazy to think that Green Day’s seminal, politically charged album, American Idiot, was released in the U.S. 10 years ago (September 21, 2004). It would go on to become the band’s second most commercially successful album—bested only by the Diamond-certified Dookie—selling over six million copies in the U.S. At a time when illegal downloading was already pulverizing album sales, six million is almost more of an impressive feat than 10 million in the ’90s.

If you were in school during the fall of 2004, you likely remember MTV blasting the video for “American Idiot,” the album’s lead single, every morning. It was a brash, rebellious way to start the day. This was just the start of a musical takeover that would elevate Green Day, a band who had been fairly sleepy for a while, to a new height of global reach.

“Boulevard Of Broken Dreams” would prove to be a huge crossover hit, climbing to No. 2 on the Billboard pop charts. “Holiday” was seething with political contempt and cutting lyrics, taking no-holds-barred shots at George W. Bush. With “Wake Me Up When September Ends,” the band gave a cathartic anthem to a nation still deep in mourning. “Jesus Of Suburbia” was an adventure, sounding like nine songs in one.

The importance of American Idiot cannot be overstated. The political climate in America at the time was a pressure cooker of discontent, and AA was a pesky spark that set the whole thing ablaze—unforgiving and relentless with its lyrics.

In celebration of the album’s 10th anniversary, let’s look back at a time when the band’s creative spark was more like lightening bolt. On September 9 (the day after the album came out), the band played a show at Irving Plaza in New York City. Watch the full performance below and remember the intensity.

http://www.altpress.com/news/entry/american_idiot_turns_10_watch_green_day_perform_right_after_its_release

I listen to American Idiot today and I actually cried lol, I have so many good memories with this album. I actually can say that is probably my favorite album ever, cause it really change my life 100%. I just can believe is already 10 years and I've been in love with them 9 years, time flies :cry:

'American Idiot' Turns 10: In Defense of Green Day's Iconic Album

The pop-punk act's hit album turns 10-years-old this weekend–and while some fans have always written it off, we look at its lasting relevancy from the perspective of a punk fan

http://www.fuse.tv/2014/09/green-day-american-idiot-10th-anniversary

Translated from a French website

Green Day: American Idiot 10-year return on the album of a generation

Last Sunday, as American Idiot celebrated its tenth anniversary. But what self-titled album of Green Day has changed, concretely? VirginRadio.fr has asked the question.

On 14 September 2004, Green Day let go a bomb. Tube with American Idiot, the American group has clearly shaken the world of punk and will be made the spokesman of a generation. When the self-titled album will be released a week later, the craze is such that Green Day was hailed by critics. But that changed this opus? VirginRadio.fr offers a little background, just to measure the phenomenon.

Jesus of Suburbia and St. Jimmy, symbols of a generation.

It is not going to lie, the main theme of the seventh album of Green Day remains the rebellion. Already the cover artwork speaks for itself (a grenade held firmly). To better understand the frustration that comes from the album, you have to put in context. The album traces the journey of Jesus Of Suburbia -personnage designed by Billy Joe Armstrong-who decides to join the city, just to have a better life. Except it quickly becomes disillusioned and finds himself faced with decadence, sex, alcohol and loneliness. Added to this is the encounter with St Jimmy, his alter ego. In other words, St. Jimmy is like the Mr. Hyde of Jesus Of Suburbia. Casually, these two characters are quite representative of the youth of the time (and even from today). Because they recognize in themselves, young people have made the symbols of a generation.

It is not going to lie, the main theme of the seventh album of Green Day remains the rebellion. Already the cover artwork speaks for itself (a grenade held firmly). To better understand the frustration that comes from the album, you have to put in context. The album traces the journey of Jesus Of Suburbia -personnage designed by Billy Joe Armstrong-who decides to join the city, just to have a better life. Except it quickly becomes disillusioned and finds himself faced with decadence, sex, alcohol and loneliness. Added to this is the encounter with St Jimmy, his alter ego. In other words, St. Jimmy is like the Mr. Hyde of Jesus Of Suburbia. Casually, these two characters are quite representative of the youth of the time (and even from today). Because they recognize in themselves, young people have made the symbols of a generation.
Political Context.

This has clearly contributed to the success of the album remains its allusions to the political situation in 2004 if American American Idiot came out ten days before the presidential election won by George W. Bush, Green Day does not hesitate to express his anger at the political system in place. If they sing (or rather shout) loudly, the trio will stop at nothing continues to evoke rebellion into its clips. In other words, Green Day proves with this album that can make punk and, incidentally, to convey a message. No offense to some, this kind of music is not just noise, on the contrary.

Punk Is Not Dead.

Let's be clear, these are not the 2000s that have been the most representative of the punk movement, for sure. Yet with American Idiot, Green Day stands out and shows that the movement is not dead. If the album received favorable reviews, the press greets. For example Johnny Leftus Pitchfork Media will even say that this concept album is by far the "most ambitious" group. If American Idiot already ten years, there will be two things to remember. The first is that all this does not make us any younger. The second is that Green Day was able to see that the world was wrong to make something good. The album you he scored?

http://www.virginradio.fr/green-day-american-idiot-a-10-ans-ce-que-l-album-a-change-a332242.html

Happy anniversary :lol: I'll probably listen to it in full later on today. I might play it on guitar tomorrow - I haven't done that in ages!

Trying to think of how old I was when it came out, and I actually forgot how old I am now :P I fell in love with American Idiot when I was 7

Dad brought this album home one night when I was 5, I immideiatly fell in love with it

Time flies when you're having fun :P

Happy 10th Anniversary American Idiot! :D This must mean a lot to the people who got into Green Day because of this album, hope you enjoy this day!

I only heard American Idiot, the album, in 2007. I was 12 when it came out and I wasn't into music at that time. I remember a friend of mine was obsessed with them in 2005 though, she was the ultimate fangirl.

I remember sitting in front of my TV at the age of 4 maybe 5 watching Boulevard of Broken Dreams on TV, playing with my cars. I always just knew the songs and liked them but it wasn't until I bought Tony Hawk's American Wasteland when I was 10, that I really liked them because the song Holiday was in the game.

I can't believe it was 10 years ago today. I fell in love with it and I especially liked the lead track, American Idiot.

10 years already, damn... This was the first Green Day album I listened to back in 2004 and have been a huge fan ever since. American Idiot is hands down my favorite Green Day album. I did this for Dookie and 21st Century Breakdown so here's another video of me playing through the full album on Green Day: Rock Band to celebrate the occasion.

So I'm going to close this thread for now and re-open it in a couple days. The actual release date used in Billboard charts and such is the American date, September 21st. So I'd prefer to hold off on all the anniversary stuff till tomorrow. I'll open a new topic at midnight tonight for the anniversary so people can leave their opinions and thoughts about the album in a dedicated topic.

Archived