Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

American Idiot's 10 year Anniversary

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
180 replies to this topic

Big Cheese

Big Cheese
  • Tom's Other Lackey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,694 posts
  • Joined Nov 04, 2011
  • 1,518 rep

oh my god you were a wee little baby when it came out! So strange to think that this album is to some people what Dookie is to me.

I wasn't a wee baby, I was 8 when it came out. I was a little guy yes, but not a baby. When you say wee baby, I think like 3 or something. 

• SaintJimmy13 likes this

Lady Nightlife

Lady Nightlife
  • Loving Isn't Knowing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,819 posts
  • Joined Dec 29, 2012
  • 11,584 rep

I wasn't a wee baby, I was 8 when it came out. I was a little guy yes, but not a baby. When you say wee baby, I think like 3 or something.

Not to turn this into a debate about what a tiny baby is, but you were only a couple of years older than my daughter when it came out, hence my usage of the expression :P

• WhiteTim, Certified Nimrod and SaintJimmy13 like this

Big Cheese

Big Cheese
  • Tom's Other Lackey

• 3,694 posts
  • Joined Nov 04, 2011
  • 1,518 rep

Not to turn this into a debate about what a tiny baby is, but you were only a couple of years older than my daughter when it came out, hence my usage of the expression :P

Ah okay, makes more sense now!

Fuzz

Fuzz
  • Professional Cocksmith

• 38,593 posts
  • Joined May 28, 2004
  • 15,878 rep

oh my god you were a wee little baby when it came out! So strange to think that this album is to some people what Dookie is to me.

Yeah it's kind of crazy. I remember thinking that when it came out too. There were all these new fans and many of them would drop off. But I knew some of them would look at that time the same way I viewed Warning, as the thing that got them in to the band. It's weird to think the same will be true in 8 years when the trilogy is 10, or in 5 years when 21CB is 10.

Not Anyone.

Not Anyone.
  • He's not an eggplant.

• 14,681 posts
  • Joined Aug 19, 2013
  • 15,287 rep

POPULAR

Accept it man, you'll always be a foetus in Kay's eyes.

Now there's a mental image...
  • Big Cheese, 11Greendayfan, Lady Nightlife and 2 others like this

Skull Collision 21

Skull Collision 21
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Joined Sep 30, 2012
  • 107 rep
It's weird how I almost remember each time i first heard a new green day song even well before I was a big fan. I think for ai I was listening to the radio in my family's temporary apartment complex's workout gym and I think they played holiday or boulevard of broken dreams and wmuwse back to back and I remember thinking wow those are some of the best songs I've heard on modern rock radio in a long time. I went on to buy a few songs from ai on itunes after having a battle with my parents over curse words in some of the songs and so called "anti-american" ideals of the album even though a lot of music they listened to in the 70's had similar lines of thinking in them along with the curse words. The made me swear to never buy any more green day songs after buying bobd and wmuwse but obviously that never held up. I became a total green day fanatic when 21CB came out and it affected who I am today a lot more than any of the 60's and 70's music i listened to up that point. That music is great and i still listen to a lot of it but it never was as urgent, honest, or as reckless-abandon as green day's. Green day was my gate way to the punk, alternative, and indie scene. And today that is still the music I listen to most of the time.

Certified Nimrod

Certified Nimrod
  • The Real Adam

• 3,966 posts
  • Joined Jan 26, 2013
  • 1,997 rep

This is the song that was responsible for my parents deleting all my GD music from my computer. Cheers. :P

Your parents sound like fun people.

• Davis Weiss likes this

Lady Nightlife

Lady Nightlife
  • Loving Isn't Knowing

• 11,819 posts
  • Joined Dec 29, 2012
  • 11,584 rep

POPULAR

I never get how anyone could truly interpret "American Idiot" as being anti-American. It's anti-political-establishment, yes, anti-media, yes, but anti-American? That's a stretch.

• 11Greendayfan, DookieLukie, Certified Nimrod and 3 others like this

Darth Praxus

Darth Praxus
  • Blasphemy Chickenstrips

• 2,792 posts
  • Joined Sep 27, 2012
  • 3,935 rep

Your parents sound like fun people.

You've no idea.
  • Certified Nimrod likes this

Certified Nimrod

Certified Nimrod
  • The Real Adam

• 3,966 posts
  • Joined Jan 26, 2013
  • 1,997 rep

You've no idea.

Tell them I said hi.

Darth Praxus

Darth Praxus
  • Blasphemy Chickenstrips

• 2,792 posts
  • Joined Sep 27, 2012
  • 3,935 rep

Tell them I said hi.

:lol: They send their regards.
  • Certified Nimrod likes this

Anja

Anja
  • We are what we believe!

• 13,380 posts
  • Joined Dec 29, 2007
  • 1,390 rep

10 years - wow! I still remember it like it was yesterday. I was watching a music channel on TV, it was called "Get the clip" and it showed which three songs/music videos are up next. It said "Green Day - American Idiot" and I had never heard of that band but the song title made me curious so I waited until it came on. That was basically the second that would change my life or at least be the beginning of a change that came slowly. I was blown away by the energy of the song and also the music video - back then, I was only listening to pop music so AI was like a kick in the face. A couple months later, I found out that a classmate had their album, so I borrowed it, fell in love with it... the rest is history.

PS I feel old now!

• Lady Nightlife likes this

Steven Seagull

Steven Seagull
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,320 posts
  • Joined Dec 02, 2012
  • 1,557 rep

AI will never be better than Dookie, Nimrod, Warning, ... It's in my bottom two.

Anja

Anja
  • We are what we believe!

• 13,380 posts
  • Joined Dec 29, 2007
  • 1,390 rep

i just remember going on yahoo launch and watching every green day music video they had in horrible quality and printing out pictures from the gda photo vault to put into my school binder. discovered the gda forum two months later and here we are :P

Omg - I did that too! I downloaded every single picture and video that was on the GDA vault back then, I was so obsessed :lol: It's crazy to look at them now. I feel very nostalgic.

Steven Seagull

Steven Seagull
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,320 posts
  • Joined Dec 02, 2012
  • 1,557 rep

Neck Deep actually made BOBD sound like it should sound. OMG that solo <3

Advertising

Joey

Joey
  • Oldie / Adored by Amanda

• 17,454 posts
  • Joined Nov 02, 2002
  • 211 rep

I remember hearing the single for the first time, being debuted on Radio 1, while I did Summer work in a factory before going to Reading Festival to see them headline. It was genuinely exciting in only the way a 16-year-old can get excited about his favourite band releasing a new song. It also took the edge off having to work in a factory and the rest of Radio 1's output at the time.

Weirdly the album itself came as a let down. I was probably expecting every track to sound like the punk blast of the lead single and when it wasn't (it was padded out with things like ballads and generic alternative rock songs) I felt slightly annoyed. Still, I like about 80% of it now so it gets a pass from me.

I've also since learned that much of the song's style was whipped from US Forces by Midnight Oil. Oh well, steal from the best.

• Fuzz and Lady Nightlife like this

ifmemoryserves

ifmemoryserves
  • 24,202 posts
  • Joined Feb 27, 2006
  • 1,792 rep

AI will never be better than Dookie, Nimrod, Warning, ... It's in my bottom two.

ok we get it

WhiteTim

WhiteTim
  • Dearly Beloved

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,211 posts
  • Joined May 16, 2010
  • 3,382 rep

Just go away
  • Darth Praxus, Z J and SaintJimmy13 like this

Skull Collision 21

Skull Collision 21
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Joined Sep 30, 2012
  • 107 rep

I never get how anyone could truly interpret "American Idiot" as being anti-American. It's anti-political-establishment, yes, anti-media, yes, but anti-American? That's a stretch.

What's really annoying is that my parents just looked up online and a lot sites at that time said american idiot was anti-american. It's like they couldn't figure out for themselves what was meant by it just because they wouldn't take the time to really listen to it due to the fact that it was more profanity-laden and not as disguised as a lot of early rock songs.

Not Anyone.

Not Anyone.
  • He's not an eggplant.

• 14,681 posts
  • Joined Aug 19, 2013
  • 15,287 rep

People are idiots. Ironically.

Lady Nightlife

Lady Nightlife
  • Loving Isn't Knowing

• 11,819 posts
  • Joined Dec 29, 2012
  • 11,584 rep

What's really annoying is that my parents just looked up online and a lot sites at that time said american idiot was anti-american. It's like they couldn't figure out for themselves what was meant by it just because they wouldn't take the time to really listen to it due to the fact that it was more profanity-laden and not as disguised as a lot of early rock songs.

The hilarious thing is that the song isn't even full of profanity, as many parents seem to think. One "fuck" and one "faggot" does not a profanity-laden song make.

Plus, it doesn't even say "Fuck America" like most people think, it's "The subliminal mind-fuck America," which means something completely different.

• DookieLukie, Skull Collision 21 and Doctor of Pepper like this

The Disappearing Boy

The Disappearing Boy
  • His Dissappearingness The Reverend Major Sir Boy

• 15,845 posts
  • Joined Jan 02, 2007
  • 3,339 rep

The hilarious thing is that the song isn't even full of profanity, as many parents seem to think. One "fuck" and one "faggot" does not a profanity-laden song make.

Plus, it doesn't even say "Fuck America" like most people think, it's "The subliminal mind-fuck America," which means something completely different.

i suppose it's coz the fuck and faggot are pretty damn unmissable, on some songs swearing is only noticeable coz of censoring!

I used to think it was 'and I fuck America', so I've no idea what I thought it was about.

Lady Nightlife

Lady Nightlife
  • Loving Isn't Knowing

• 11,819 posts
  • Joined Dec 29, 2012
  • 11,584 rep

i suppose it's coz the fuck and faggot are pretty damn unmissable, on some songs swearing is only noticeable coz of censoring!

I used to think it was 'and I fuck America', so I've no idea what I thought it was about.

Billie's mouth full of marbles strikes again :P

But you're right, those parts are definitely clear - however, if people would educate themselves for a minute, they'd see that the artistic use of those terms was completely warranted. American idiots indeed :lol:

Z J

Z J
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts
  • Joined Apr 08, 2013
  • 1,344 rep

Neck Deep actually made BOBD sound like it should sound. OMG that solo <3

Neck Deep (A band that I respect) did a decent cover, but nothing more. The sped up tempo doesn't fit at all. The slower, anthemic nature of BOBD makes the lyrics all the more powerful, and it makes the build up of tension and then eventual explosion on the bridge sound incredible. Neck Deep's takes that aspect away. 

• Darth Praxus likes this

Not Anyone.

Not Anyone.
  • He's not an eggplant.

• 14,681 posts
  • Joined Aug 19, 2013
  • 15,287 rep

Neck Deep (A band that I respect) did a decent cover, but nothing more. The sped up tempo doesn't fit at all. The slower, anthemic nature of BOBD makes the lyrics all the more powerful, and it makes the build up of tension and then eventual explosion on the bridge sound incredible. Neck Deep's takes that aspect away. 

This is a better cover :P

• Todd, Lady Nightlife and Z J like this

Amanda

Amanda
  • Loved Very Much by Joey

• 30,130 posts
  • Joined Apr 08, 2005
  • 7,386 rep
Reminds me of the days when I wore cologne.
  • Not Anyone. likes this

Not Anyone.

Not Anyone.
  • He's not an eggplant.

• 14,681 posts
  • Joined Aug 19, 2013
  • 15,287 rep

Reminds me of the days when I wore cologne.

What, all of it? Even the Hohenzollern Bridge? Wow.

• Amanda and SaintJimmy13 like this

crazychic

crazychic
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts
  • Joined Oct 19, 2006
  • 32 rep

AI also brought me and my dad closer together, I mean we have never been like no talking or anything and my dad didnt leave my mum or whatever but it was the first time that I was old enough to understand the tug of war on my conscience because my dad was in the army in the Ghurkha regiment he went on his last overseas appointment to Afghanistan and well he asked me if he could download AI on his ipod and while he was out there he had AI on repeat constantly and he said its what kept him sane when it felt like utter hell. and thats why I will always feel this album is special not just its 10th aniversary but the fact everytime I listen to WMUWSE I think back to when he went out there and yeah I always say a thankyou to whichever deity meant that he came back. AI wasnt just an album that got me into the band I love but also my dad could listen and feel involved. so yeah thats why I love it too  

• Todd likes this

Fuzz

Fuzz
  • Professional Cocksmith

• 38,593 posts
  • Joined May 28, 2004
  • 15,878 rep

POPULAR

Tangentially related to American Idiot, 10 years ago today we heard 'Favorite Son' from the Rock Against Bush compliation 

• Sausage Gravy, Alan86, Todd and 5 others like this

DookieLukie

DookieLukie
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts
  • Joined Sep 28, 2012
  • 968 rep

Tangentially related to American Idiot, 10 years ago today we heard 'Favorite Son' from the Rock Against Bush compliation 

Really underrated song

Also, regarding the anti-America nature of AI that doesn't exist, I think most people jump on the most dramatic options when evaluating something. It's sad and pathetic. American Idiot is more patriotic and full of American spirit than a lot of other albums.

• Skull Collision 21, nothing_wrong_with_me, Doctor of Pepper and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users