American Idiot's 10 year Anniversary

Fuzz

Happy Birthday then to the album that not only saved Green Day's career, but placed them in a much higher tax bracket almost overnight^ The critical and commercial colossus that was 'American Idiot' surely was totally unexpected. A band of wit and charm to suddenly be respected among the critical class for something more than the loveable charm of Dookie-style tracks; as well as the massive commercial success; kick started them into rock super stardom really.

I know AI and 21stCB receive a lot of crass comments among the more hardcore GD fans, and, retrospectively, crass comments from music fans (not all of course) for being a little too pompous and cheesy. I don't agree; I still think both albums (as they are really a pairing, the original and the sequel) - while being pompous, earnest, overblown - are chock full of some of the greatest songs GD ever wrote. The impact AI had was a mixture of course of excellent marketing, a corporate moneyed campaign, the political message and the songs. The politics was naive and broad but did appeal to a vast demographic, it's timing in 2004, at the height of Bush hatred, was immaculate and definitely added to it's appeal. But the albums main strength and reason it endures is the songs.

Similarly for 21stCB, one cannot argue with the quality of many of the tracks. I love the fact that half of the people see it as ridiculous a band like GD became so epic-minded, overblown and over the top, it adds colour to the music scene. More bands should risk huge failures; the Clash risked it on Sandinista, and GD offered an 18-track rock-opera sequel with for many fell flat on it's face, but for many others worked excellently. Better to risk than put out generic, safe material to simply tread the water of the level of fame and success you have.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it adds colour to the music scene. More bands should risk huge failures; the Clash risked it on Sandinista

To be fair The Clash succeeded in failing miserably with Sandinista :P

Not true. Sandinista is their best.

Everything went downhill after London Calling. I love Strummer for his diversity and what he tried to do, but it just isn't my thing.

Everything went downhill after London Calling. I love Strummer for his diversity and what he tried to do, but it just isn't my thing.

Sandinista has fillers, a lot of them, but so has London Calling, and there's simply more good songs on Sandinista. Of course it would have been better as a simple double album :P but yes, after Sandinista their albums started to suck a great deal tbh.

Just to let y'all know, in the downloads topic we're releasing a tribute DVD for the 10th anniversary.

It's a remastering of the bootleg video from Melbourne 2005, which was the last show for the American Idiot tour. It's a very good show to watch.

Read here: http://www.greendaycommunity.org/topic/97311-20051217-melbourne-dvd-remastered-american-idiot-10th-anniversary-special/

Holiday was the first single/Green Day song in general I ever heard and it changed my damn life. Goddess bless this album and everything associated with it.

What was the the release date for AI?

Greenday.com says september 08th, GDA says semptember 20th, and I saw somewhere september 14th.

as fas as i remember it was september 20th, but now i'm confused

What was the the release date for AI?

Greenday.com says september 08th, GDA says semptember 20th, and I saw somewhere september 14th.

as fas as i remember it was september 20th, but now i'm confused

20th in the UK, 21st in the US. We'll celebrate it the 21st since that's the day we usually used in terms of Billboard charts and such.

20th in the UK, 21st in the US. We'll celebrate it the 21st since that's the day we usually used in terms of Billboard charts and such.

thank you

It's kind of sad to see that there's nothing is done by Green Day to celebrate the 20 / 10 years of Dookie / American Idiot this years.

The band played Dookie last year in concerts but nothing very special...

I hear 5SOS and One Direction are doing a cover album of AI to celebrate the 20th Reprise are pulling GDs version completely for the 5SOS/One Direction collab album

It's kind of sad to see that there's nothing is done by Green Day to celebrate the 20 / 10 years of Dookie / American Idiot this years.

The band played Dookie last year in concerts but nothing very special...

I thought for sure they would do some sort of anniversary tour, but then with Britt's cancer and everything... I wouldn't be surprised if they do *something* at some point, but I guess it's not really feasible right now. OR they were never planning on doing anything and we just make too big a deal out of everything :P

On this day ten years ago at The Henry Fonda Theatre in Los Angeles, Green Day performed American Idiot in its entirety for the very first time, and I was there!!!!

dj-rossstar-tre-cool--large-msg-11653726

I'm calling a 20th Anniversary reunion tour right now. We're obviously not getting anything this year, but I don't know why people assumed we would anyway. Every year is 10 years since someone's biggest album, y'know?

I'm calling a 20th Anniversary reunion tour right now. We're obviously not getting anything this year, but I don't know why people assumed we would anyway. Every year is 10 years since someone's biggest album, y'know?

are you saying they'll do something like they did with Dookie at reading last year?

So you agree about them breaking up?

he doesn't mean they're getting back together after they've broken up haha :P

I wouldn't go that far but I think within the next 10 years they could take a long break.

Why do people stress and always try to predict the future haha, can't we just all relax just like they're doing right now

Why do people stress and always try to predict the future haha, can't we just all relax just like they're doing right now

It wasn't exactly an in depth theory, just a passing thought :P

Archived