American Idiot's 10 year Anniversary

Fuzz

Neck Deep (A band that I respect) did a decent cover, but nothing more. The sped up tempo doesn't fit at all. The slower, anthemic nature of BOBD makes the lyrics all the more powerful, and it makes the build up of tension and then eventual explosion on the bridge sound incredible. Neck Deep's takes that aspect away.

This is a better cover :P

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reminds me of the days when I wore cologne.

What, all of it? Even the Hohenzollern Bridge? Wow.

AI also brought me and my dad closer together, I mean we have never been like no talking or anything and my dad didnt leave my mum or whatever but it was the first time that I was old enough to understand the tug of war on my conscience because my dad was in the army in the Ghurkha regiment he went on his last overseas appointment to Afghanistan and well he asked me if he could download AI on his ipod and while he was out there he had AI on repeat constantly and he said its what kept him sane when it felt like utter hell. and thats why I will always feel this album is special not just its 10th aniversary but the fact everytime I listen to WMUWSE I think back to when he went out there and yeah I always say a thankyou to whichever deity meant that he came back. AI wasnt just an album that got me into the band I love but also my dad could listen and feel involved. so yeah thats why I love it too

Tangentially related to American Idiot, 10 years ago today we heard 'Favorite Son' from the Rock Against Bush compliation

Tangentially related to American Idiot, 10 years ago today we heard 'Favorite Son' from the Rock Against Bush compliation

Really underrated song

Also, regarding the anti-America nature of AI that doesn't exist, I think most people jump on the most dramatic options when evaluating something. It's sad and pathetic. American Idiot is more patriotic and full of American spirit than a lot of other albums.

I am still in disbelief that it's been ten years since I first discovered American Idiot. I remember picking it up on a whim because one of my middle school classmates had been going on and on about "I'm so excited for the new Green Day album" (or maybe he was saying "The new Green Day album sucks" and I picked it up to see if it truly was terrible; I'd believe either one); becoming obsessed with the record; listening to it on the bus up to NYC to see Wicked on Broadway; on the bus for my 8th grade trip to Williamsburg; just listening to it over and over and over; learning the lyrics; being blown away by its massive sound; imitating Billie Joe while watching the AI and Boulevard videos with a fake guitar I made out of cardboard, masking tape, Sharpie, pastels, and a plastic hockey stick; aspiring to be just like him when I grow up; and most importantly, opening me up to a whole brand-new world of different music and ideas and beliefs. That was a major transformative year in my life, and I will be forever grateful to Billie Joe, Mike, Tré, Rob Cavallo, Chris Dugan, Doug McKean, Jason Freese, Kathleen Hanna, Reto Peter, Dr. Vibb, Stimie, Jimmy Hoyson, Joe Brown, Dim-e, Chris Bilheimer, Chris Lord-Alge, and Ted Jensen, all of whom had a hand in expertly crafting the one record that, as cliché as it sounds, completely changed my life.

Happy 10th birthday, American Idiot. All I can say is thank you. Thank you for everything.

I love how everyone's got a story about how they heard American Idiot and how it changed their life - I've got nothing like that. I don't know what the first Green Day song I heard was, only that it was Boulevard, Wake Me Up or AI. I don't know when it was either, only that it was some time during the AI period - probably during 2005. Bullet in a Bible was the first Green Day CD I got. Was I blown away the first time I heard it? I honestly don't know, although I do vaguely remember the first time I heard it, which is something. My Green Day fandom originated due to AI or Bobd or wmuwse, but if anything it's mainly due to Bullet in a Bible.

Damn 10 years?! Wow I feel old :lol: 2006 did I start to listen to Green Day and American Idiot was the first album. Well my first impression of the album was that BOBD was a slow and sad song and AI (the song) was loud :lol: But the more I listen to the album and the more it grew on me.

Lol. Album that made them sell outs.

Your pathetic attempts at derailing every thread just make you look ridiculous. Why don't you just quit while you still have the choice.

Funny story, I watched the video for American Idiot over a dozen times before I even listened to it. I used to take the train home from school everyday and for some reason they had this huge TV screen that just played the same three music videos over and over, with no sound. I was really struck by the imagery and just the entire attitude of the video and after a few days of watching it on repeat I forced my parents to buy me the album. After that I was pretty much obsessed with Green Day for about 6 years.

One of the other videos was an MCR video. Talk about lucky escapes :P

:mad:

MCR's best song is one they never intended to release: Fake Your Death

Nah, The End./Dead! is my personal favorite.

No, the best thing they ever did was break up :P

No, the best thing they ever did was break up :P

You bastard. :cry:

In all seriousness, the only truly great album they put out was The Black Parade; while I like a lot of their other material, it's very hit-or-miss.

However, as this isn't the MCR thread, I'm going to backseat-mod myself and shut up. :P

In all seriousness, the only truly great album they put out was The Black Parade; while I like a lot of their other material, it's very hit-or-miss.

However, as this isn't the MCR thread, I'm going to backseat-mod myself and shut up. :P

Now I feel bad, I didn't upset you too much

My only complaints are mainly about Gerard way. The lyrics are too whiny and his vocals are even whinier.

Archived