American Idiot's 10 year Anniversary

Fuzz

Yeah I'm pretty sure that's right.

Yeah, I bought it at the time. Governator was also on there and it made me wonder if I'd really found my new favourite band.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This thread seems to focus more on the album than the song. Anyway, this song is so powerful. For all of you who didn't know, it's listened in Rolling Stone's 500 best songs of all time.

Also, the b-side to American Idiot is one of the best Green Day songs ever: Too Much Too Soon. This single is one of the few physical singles I own.

I thought Shoplifter was one of the b-sides on the AI single.

It was also released as a stand alone single on itunes, and was removed in 2009

I can't find any info about Ha Ha You're Dead. Sure it was brand new? For some reason I thought it was Nimrod era.

Ha Ha You're Dead is track 14 on Shenanigans. It was originally going to be on Nimrod.

i got HMV to order one of each in for me. they hated me so much.

Wouldn't your business make them happy?

I didn't pay much attention, but a few weeks later one of my friends gave me a mix CD (oh yeah, mix CD's were a thing we did back then!) and AI was the first song on it.

I had one of those! I wish I could remember what was on it.

I was in 9th grade and I'm pretty sure this album was the reason I developed major anxiety about Armaggedon and burning to death in a global catastrofuck.

So, suffice it to say, big impact, big fan :lol:

Just gonna put this out there: 'Don't wanna be an American Idiot' is the best line of their career.

Ha Ha You're Dead is track 14 on Shenanigans. It was originally going to be on Nimrod.

I am Nimrod and I can confirm that Ha Ha You're Dead is not on me.

I think Ha Ha You're Dead was new for Shenanigans.

Nimrod

Produced by Rob Cavallo and Green Day

Recorded and Engineered by Ken Allardyce

Mixed by Chris Lord-Alge

Ha Ha You're Dead

Produced by Green Day

Recorded by Chris Dugan at Catbox Studios

Mixed by Green Day

its mad that it's been ten years. Been a fan for pretty much half of my life really, which is insane :lol: but yeah i can't actually remember what song I first heard? I think it was BOBD on the radio. I was hooked from then and got american idiot for christmas that year. Being nearly 11 when I got the album it was a Big Deal to actually listen to them and I was so surprised that they had been around before when I asked my mum if she'd heard of them :rolleyes:

I just find it strange how one band has had such an impact on me, just because of that one album.

I can't find any info about Ha Ha You're Dead. Sure it was brand new? For some reason I thought it was Nimrod era.

Yes I'm sure. I own everything :P it was a new track

can't believe it's been ten years, fuck. i was randomly flipping through channels and came across the making the video for american idiot when it debuted, decided that billie was cute so i watched the whole thing and i was hooked. i just remember going on yahoo launch and watching every green day music video they had in horrible quality and printing out pictures from the gda photo vault to put into my school binder. discovered the gda forum two months later and here we are :P

So you've been on GDC for ten years?

Gdc hasn't been around for ten years

GDC's been around for 10 years this year. And before GDC there was a different forum that was made onto GDA.

Well, I stumbled onto GD a couple years ago. First songs I immediately liked was When I come Around, Longview, and Basket Case. When I discover a band, I usually listen to the songs I like the most on the album repeatedly for a long time before I move on to their next album. From some reading, I expected AI to be this masterpiece and all that, only to be disappointed. I don't care for it like most, but AI the song is a top 5 GD song of mine.

And before GDC there was a different forum that was made onto GDA.

#TheMoreYouKnow

Ten years! Wow. Such a powerful, catchy song with great energy. Its amazing live (judging by the videos :P ) and playing it also enthuses a great flow of energy.

So are we supposed to be reliving just American Idiot the song? Or the album?

I can't remember it perfectly, but in '04 we had just gotten a new TV and cable box so there were stations that played music videos on demand. I got myself grounded and one of the only things I could do was watch TV. The WMUWSE video was what hooked me on to GD (Well the song, really). Because of my love for that song, I moved on to download AI (song) to my mp3. I think I got the whole album for Christmas but I don't recall ever really giving it a listen.

AI is one of GD's best songs if you take in to account the time in which it was written. They were making the statement that nobody else would. The pure energy and anger behind the words of the song put Green Day back on the map.

Just gonna put this out there: 'Don't wanna be an American Idiot' is the best line of their career.

Not gonna lie, I'm quite surprised no-one's picked up on this yet :P

This album wasn't what i was expecting. I really took a long time to dig it.

I thought that there was too many ballads on it... back then i hadn't a good internet connection so, i think it was the last album i heard after buying a physical copy.

Archived