American Idiot's 10 year Anniversary

Fuzz

Let's start off a thread just to relive all the stuff that happening 10 years ago as we get closer to the release date of American Idiot.

I just posted up a story on GDA about today being the anniversary of the first time we heard "American Idiot". It debuted across the US on the radio. I remember driving to work waiting for it to come on then rushing inside to write up a post about it.

I also remember logging on to the GDA forum (no GDC yet at that point) to talk with other fans about it. It was a very exciting morning.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

man 10 years gahhh lol I remember hearing this song on the radio blaring out and thinking wow that is cool who is this band?, then finding out who they were and buying more of their stuff that by the time I realised I was hooked well I had already got caught hook line and sinker into GDC hehe :P and have not looked back since. Even if I listen to other bands and other types of music that one album helped me find who I was and what I loved about life in general and that I wasnt alone and that to enjoy life was to forget about stresses and just enjoy lol and 10 years down the line they are still the Band and Album that I listen to when I need to just rock out :)

DAMN. Ten years.

This album changed my life. It turned me on to more rebel, transcendental music and was the first album I physically bought with my own money. Even if today I wouldn't play it when looking for a new music experience, it has a special place in my top 10 of all time.

I remember hating Saint Jimmy, She's a rebel, Extraordinary girl, finding Homecoming and JOS too long, at first listening...

I remember loving all the songs of the album at the second one :lol:

(I'm not a fan for 10 years tho..)

ok seagull should be banned from this thread because we all know whats gunna happen

ANYWHO yay American Idiot, not my favourite album but it's definitely up there. sadly i didn't hear it until it was on the MSN sound clips thing, but after listening to that tiny clip 50,000 times, i went out and bought every album :ninja: i got HMV to order one of each in for me. they hated me so much.

Dude it's like two months left

We all know your opinion and respect it but please don't spoil the joy of other people :)

Back then I was a wee bit too young for Green Day personally though :P

Can anyone find the actual date the music video came out? I see it was posted online August 19th according to a post on GDA. But I'm pretty sure it actually debuted on MTV, maybe a week earlier. But can't find an exact date.

Edit: Found it. August 16th.

Now I know how it felt for the people who liked Green Day for Dookie ten years ago. If they would release another kickass album this year, it would be like coming full circle.

I can't believe it's been ten years, time sure does fly. One of my first Green Day memories was hearing Boulevard of Broken Dreams in the car when I was younger. I had no idea who it was by, but I fucking loved that song.

Holiday was the first green day song I heard. 2004 was also the year I became a fan :happy:

My mum's loved Green Day since Dookie, so I was already an Idiot when it came out, and it was a moment of celebration for the whole family. Ordered it as soon as possible, and when it arrived we sat down and listened to it like it was some kind of holy ceremony. I was a bit too young to properly understand the political context, but I loved it anyway because the music's great and I'm a Saint. It wasn't until much later that I actually found out I'm a drug dealer, but it's still awesome.

Can anyone find the actual date the music video came out? I see it was posted online August 19th according to a post on GDA. But I'm pretty sure it actually debuted on MTV, maybe a week earlier. But can't find an exact date.

Edit: Found it. August 16th.

American Idiot was not the first song since International Superhits, what about Ha Ha You're Dead, I Fought the Law, and Shoplifter?

American Idiot was not the first song since International Superhits, what about Ha Ha You're Dead, I Fought the Law, and Shoplifter?

Hmm. I didn't realize Shoplifter came out before or Ha Ha You're Dead. Thought Ha Ha You're Dead was a b-side.

Hmm. I didn't realize Shoplifter came out before or Ha Ha You're Dead. Thought Ha Ha You're Dead was a b-side.

No, it was new to Shenanigans.

Looking forward to reliving 10 years ago and seeing how this all played out. I really enjoy hearing how this one album has impacted so many.

I'm not sure exactly when Shoplifter came out, but it's listed as before American Idiot on wikipedia.

I thought Shoplifter was one of the b-sides on the AI single.

Yeah I'm pretty sure that's right.

Okay, Shoplifter came out sept 14th on the AI single, and sept 21st as an itunes single. So nevermind about that one, wikipedia was wrong

Archived