Tre Cool listed at #2 of Top 5 Punk Drummers of All Time

nothing_wrong_with_me

Top Five Punk Drummers of All Time

2. Tré Cool - Green Day

Tré Cool is why Travis Barker is off this list. He's simply more prolific than Barker — just listen to the rolls and explosive soloing on "Burnout" for a sample. After joining Green Day in 1991, Cool quickly made bassist Mike Dirnt sound even better than he was; the unspoken duty of any proper punk drummer. Soon, Cool would become the band's shot of adrenaline during a show. But more than just energy, Cool's got chops (which, unlike Barker, he never overindulges in). Through the years, he's gone from lightning fast to stadium-ready power and clarity — showcased masterfully on 2004's American Idiot. But both in terms of talent and wackiness, Cool will always be Green Day's freak.

http://www.laweekly.com/westcoastsound/2014/07/16/top-five-punk-drummers-of-all-time

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love Tre obviously, but as a musician, I think Travis is more talented, especially with all the off beat stuff he does. Don't get me wrong, Tre is incredibly solid. Solid drummers are key.

'Cool quickly made bassist Mike Dirnt sound even better than he was'

Er, excuse me?!

'Cool quickly made bassist Mike Dirnt sound even better than he was'

Er, excuse me?!

I think it's a valid point, good drummers and bassists always make each other sound better.

Lol @ Tré and whathisface from Bad Brains being ranked above one of the best drummers of all time. And just lol @ Tommy Ramone being on any best drummers list.

Nice to see Tre get a nod but also AWESOME to see Bad Brains get a little bit of the attention they deserve!

They don't deserve this attention though :P

I love Tre obviously, but as a musician, I think Travis is more talented, especially with all the off beat stuff he does. Don't get me wrong, Tre is incredibly solid. Solid drummers are key.

This is a punk list. Travis Barker shouldn't be anywhere near this on account of never having played a punk song in his life. But apart from that he plays exactly the same thing on every song. His "play as fast as I can while not really doing anything" shtick gets old fast.

I like Tre as a drummer, I've heard he isn't as approachable as he may seem though. Also why did he knock out Barker? The styles are way different, and Barker seems to have a lot more technical skill and energy.

Lol @ Tré and whathisface from Bad Brains being ranked above one of the best drummers of all time.

Who?

I like Tre as a drummer, I've heard he isn't as approachable as he may seem though. Also why did he knock out Barker? The styles are way different, and Barker seems to have a lot more technical skill and energy.

That is true of Travis, but he doesn't know how to rein it in. If he ever held back he'd be less annoying.

Who?

That is true of Travis, but he doesn't know how to rein it in. If he ever held back he'd be less annoying.

Bad brains were kind of the stepping stone from corny hard core metal to punk rock

Travis' style fits Blink just as Tre's style fits Green Day, but in a solid drum-off I have no doubt Travis would make Tre seem like a little bitch

Who?

Topper Headon. Duh. He should also be #1 by virtue of having the best stage name in history.

I'd also argue that Jim Reilly should be on this list, considering he did every fill and rhythm Tré ever did 10 years before Green Day even started.

Topper Headon. Duh. He should also be #1 by virtue of having the best stage name in history.

I'd also argue that Jim Reilly should be on this list, considering he did every fill and rhythm Tré ever did 10 years before Green Day even started.

Oh ok, I didn't actually read the list to be fair :P

I'd agree with that. Reilly is a great drummer. His work with Bruce Foxton is insane.

Oh ok, I didn't actually read the list to be fair :P

I'd agree with that. Reilly is a great drummer. His work with Bruce Foxton is insane.

Foxton and Reilly never actually played together in the Stiffs. Ali McMordie was the bassist while Reilly was with them, and was replaced by Foxton :P

McMordie is probably my favourite punk bassist of all time though. Played the bass like it was a lead guitar.

Foxton and Reilly never actually played together in the Stiffs. Ali McMordie was the bassist while Reilly was with them, and was replaced by Foxton :P

McMordie is probably my favourite punk bassist of all time though. Played the bass like it was a lead guitar.

Fuck. Good point. :lol: Ali McMordie is a fucking awesome bassist. Playing it like a lead guitar is totally inexcusable unless one is him, Pete Steele or Mike Kerr.

Fuck. Good point. :lol: Ali McMordie is a fucking awesome bassist. Playing it like a lead guitar is totally inexcusable unless one is him, Pete Steele or Mike Kerr.

Or, y'know

Metallica weren't always a joke, you know :P

I know :P Perversely the Newstead era is my favourite overall. Death Magnetic is my favourite Metallica album though. I'm a terrible person.

Go on, Tre! :happy:

I definitely agree with what they said about Travis. He's gotten far better over time, but there's a massive difference between playing fast and playing well. Anybody can play fast if they practice long enough, but it takes real time and effort to be skilled enough to give the song exactly what it needs without going over the top. I'm sure I heard that from Tre in an interview, actually.

Tre's quote was "play the song, not the instrument." Which is a mantra I live by, but it still sounds like an excuse for not being a wilder drummer :P

Anyway, here's a perfect example of why keeping it simple is best:

Lol @ Tré and whathisface from Bad Brains being ranked above one of the best drummers of all time. And just lol @ Tommy Ramone being on any best drummers list.

This is a punk list. Travis Barker shouldn't be anywhere near this on account of never having played a punk song in his life. But apart from that he plays exactly the same thing on every song. His "play as fast as I can while not really doing anything" shtick gets old fast.

You're talking like Green Day were ever punk. Maybe Insomniac other albums no way. And if Tre is second on this list Travis Barker should be #1. He's just the best drummer ever.

He is beasting here :lol:

Travis Barker would be a great drummer as an amateur showoff on Youtube. Yes, he has skills, but he doesn't blend well into the songs he plays. Listen to their newer album, Neighborhoods. They sound like three people playing different songs. Tre fits better with the songs, so I'd prefer him.

it took longer than I thought to someone say that Green Day isn't punk.. haha

smelly from nofx should be on this list

I think being a good drummer is more than how fast you can play or how cool the drum part sounds. Being a good drummer means knowing when to lay back, and knowing when to show off. I've always loved Tre's drumming because he lays low during the parts where there's singing, but he adds in some unique fills. A lot of drummers either stay boring the whole time, or they overdo it and drown out the rest of the band.

I think it's a valid point, good drummers and bassists always make each other sound better.

It just implies that Mike is bad without Tre.

Hurra! 9O8aeyM.gif for him being on the list, #2 is good, I'm kind of getting used to it :P But no matter the results on these lists; Billie, Mike and Tré are always my #1 ZrLt2Pr.gif

Archived