Anyone think Green Day will top American idiot with their next album?

xBlaydeRx

I'm gonna be completely honest here, I sincerely believe American idiot is Green days best album. As probably most of you do aswell. The Sheer epicness of the songs make it seem like it will never be topped, especially Holiday. I believe Green day broke the epic barrier when they Wrote Holiday. It's my favorite song of all time Barr none. Everything about it just screams Epic and to this day, green day hasn't wrote a song that would change my opinion on that song. Don't get me wrong, they wrote many other songs that I love to death but Holiday will always remain my all time favorite. The chorus explodes so hard in this song. No other chorus has ever topped the one on this song.

Here's hoping that with there next album they top that song but I doubt it.

Anyway, back to the topic. American idiot is gonna be an extremely difficult album to beat, not only does it include 2 9 minute epics, but most of the album is considered epic with little to no filler. Regardless of those statements, I have a strong feeling that Green day will unleash hell with their next album regardless of what you thought of the trilogy.

It's obvious the next album will be really dark considering what billie joe has been through.

Anyway, what do you people think? Do you believe American idiot will be topped? Include your reason for why you think it will or not so

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if they have a time machine yes

Who knows? That's kinda subjective anyway so it's weird to discuss. Personally I think maybe they're a little bit burnt and are not gonna have the energy and flair they had in 2004, though they definitely have some other ways of letting their passion out nowadays. I still think they make good tunes, even if they've gotten lazy as shit in some cases.

They'll never top AI. Ever. Best I'm hoping for is something of Nimrod levels with one big song to remind people that Green Day are still a thing. I don't know if they even have that in them anymore, though.

I'm just looking for something more mature and experimental. Honestly, I'd love any new music.

Tre sold like 8 copies and they're all over 40 now. They aren't going to make an AI-like comeback, or any sort of comeback for that matter, and that's perfectly fine by me.

They'll never top AI. Ever. Best I'm hoping for is something of Nimrod levels with one big song to remind people that Green Day are still a thing. I don't know if they even have that in them anymore, though.

I won't put it as such, but I kinda agree - AI is a very difficult album to top. Green Day has basically outdone themselves with AI; you'll probably need a miracle to replicate it or beat it. (That's why I think 21CB - for all my love of that album - is overall a little meh, in a way; the guys seem to have tried to pull out an 'American Idiot II' of sorts, with mixed results.) Who knows? They might be able to, but only time will tell.

It's not about topping anything they've done. They're musicians expressing themselves through music, not sportsmen trying to beat their best score :P. Billie's described AI as "kind of a life's work", it's his own coming of age story mixed with the political climate at that time so it's unlikely that anything could resonate as much with young people personally and politically as that, those elements combined to make it the optimum in striking a chord with their listeners. They've been there and done it so to try and do it again would be repeating themselves, he can't tell the same story of his youth again and there isn't that same political climate now. But they can make and have made great albums other than AI and I think they will again, just great in different ways.

It's not about topping anything they've done. They're musicians expressing themselves through music, not sportsmen trying to beat their best score :P. Billie's described AI as "kind of a life's work", it's his own coming of age story mixed with the political climate at that time so it's unlikely that anything could resonate as much with young people personally and politically as that, those elements combined to make it the optimum in striking a chord with their listeners. They've been there and done it so to try and do it again would be repeating themselves, he can't tell the same story of his youth again and there isn't that same political climate now. But they can make and have made great albums other than AI and I think they will again, just great in different ways.

the voice of reason. :D

Every GD album can top AI. The right question would be: Anyone think Green Day will top American idiot Dookie with their next album?

Now that would be something.

I definitely don't think they're ever gonna top AI.

I mean...AI is my favourite album too, but I honestly believe they didn't even top Dookie with that. These are just two different albums, both perfect for what they are.

I dislike most of the songs from the trilogy (except xkid, drb, ashley and nuclear family which I love), so I really hope and strongly believe they're gonna do better next time.

But they won't top anything (nor in music nor in earning terms I suppose), they'll just do different from before.

Maybe the reason why I was almost disappointed by the trilogy is that BJ declared it was a return to their "origins". It's not what it should be. They're musicians, not comics characters.

(don't take this comment as negative... I still love GD with all my heart. They saved me many times and all and they keep doing it every single day. It's just my opinion, BJ is free to write about what he wants and nothing will ever make me lose the respect I have for them)

I won't put it as such, but I kinda agree - AI is a very difficult album to top. Green Day has basically outdone themselves with AI; you'll probably need a miracle to replicate it or beat it. (That's why I think 21CB - for all my love of that album - is overall a little meh, in a way; the guys seem to have tried to pull out an 'American Idiot II' of sorts, with mixed results.) Who knows? They might be able to, but only time will tell.

Perfectly said. That's exactly how I feel.

No, they won't top AI. They got a little lucky with AI; lucky that they were able to tap into the zeitgeist and that's part of what made the album so successful.

I think they were too comfortable when they released the trilogy. They need to get uncomfortable. Get antsy about something. Get upset. Then maybe we'll see something great again.

Dookie is the best and will always be the best Green Day album because it just about captures what almost every teenager goes through: frustration, boredom, growing up and love and that's why, it will always be an album full of nostalgia.

Dookie is the best and will always be the best Green Day album because it just about captures what almost every teenager goes through: frustration, boredom, growing up and love and that's why, it will always be an album full of nostalgia.

You could also say that about 1,039 SOSH I reckon. And given their young age and circumstances when they recorded that album, I think that makes it even more impressive.

But I mean, this is such a subjective conversation; American Idiot was great of course, but I don't think it was their 'best' album. I honestly believe that the only reason a lot of people think American Idiot is their best album is because it was the album that got them into Green Day and there was much media hype about it at the time because it was their 'comeback' as a band.

I reckon their next album will be darker not just because of Billie Joe going through rehab, but because they want to show all the people who think they've lost it with the Trilogy that they can still do it, in the same way as Insomniac was darker to prove they were still punk after signing with Warner. It probably won't top the success of AI, but the music will contend.

nah. american idiot was a fluke. it's a great album, without a doubt, but they (accidentally) dropped it at the perfect time, which is what led to its outrageous success. i'd be surprised if anyone else managed to pull off the same thing, let alone green day doing it for a third time.

AI was an amazing, defining album for the band that rocketed them back into public awareness. It's become a part of who they are - "Oh, Green Day, the guys who did American Idiot?" I'm not sure they can ever do that again, the fact that they managed to do it twice was insane enough. Can they make another album that impacts people on a personal level as much as American Idiot did, though? Sure, I believe they're capable of doing that. But it's unlikely that they'll ever have another album feel as culturally relevant and create as much buzz as AI.

i personally think it won't top AI at all, unless im proven wrong.

There's absolutely no chance they'd even come close to producing the same quality of music AI did. They fell off a bit after AI, so I don't think they can establish a comeback by any means.

After the Trilogy i've always have in mind that they would a punk record..!!

I'm pretty sure they want to be back to real punk..

But first it have to be inspired . so a little bit hard for some 40 something years old guys to inspired a punk album!!

Great, but how does that answer the question?

Their next work could be another trilogy, DOS is their best album. It´s full of fun.

Great, but how does that answer the question?

I wrote before that every GD album is better than AI, so if GD wants to make an epic new album they shouldn't be making something that would be better than AI, but something that would be better than Dookie.

Archived