Anyone think Green Day will top American idiot with their next album?

xBlaydeRx

It's an arousing thought.

Steven, you've talked shit bout AI for so long that no one even cares to read it anymore.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they would really want to be top of the charts (or at least in the top 10), they have to add some Electronic elements to their sound. Like Linkin Park or Paramore.

I would prefer that they stick to their own tastes and write & release whatever they want to.

If they would really want to be top of the charts (or at least in the top 10), they have to add some Electronic elements to their sound. Like Linkin Park or Paramore.

I would prefer that they stick to their own tastes and write & release whatever they want to.

Electronics never please!!

I can certainly see the next album being as good as or even better than American Idiot. Will it reach the same mainstream success? Doubtful, due to the fall off of rock music in the Top 40 radio arena (in the US). It could certainly see a lot of success in Modern Rock radio (assuming it's good).

I guess we'll have to wait until, at minimum, next year to find out.

I really like this idea! Alternatively I'd like them to use Jason Freese more and do a punk-cabaret album like Viva La Gloria (Little Girl) or something kind of Spanish sounding like Peacemaker.

I think the window of making an epic comeback has passed. The album will need to be released this year.

Dookie - 1994

AI - 2004

10 years apart, Coincidence? I THINK NOT!

Well i prefer 21st Century Breakdown anyway but im not too bothered whether theyre a huge success again. i just want a solid album of great songs

They've certainly got a lot of material for a very personal record what with Billie's rehab and Brittney going through cancer. I'm curious to see what direction they go, but I don't think anything will top American Idiot. I'm not sure any record from any other rock band from this day forward will release an album with a such an impact on pop culture.

Every 10 years they make a comeback with a kick ass album and a world tour. It's only natural that we see something from them soon ;)

Does anyone else find it macabre to hear other fans speculate about all the "great" material Billie and Mike must be getting from going through really horrible life experiences?

Does anyone else find it macabre to hear other fans speculate about all the "great" material Billie and Mike must be getting from going through really horrible life experiences?

In a sense, yes. It makes sense in context though. Obviously it'd be far better if they weren't going through these things, but it's generally the case that the best music comes from artists who are going through a shit time.

Green Day fans, what did you expect?

Steven, you've talked shit for so long that no one even cares to read it anymore.

I think the window of making an epic comeback has passed. The album will need to be released this year.

Dookie - 1994

AI - 2004

I'm pretty sure. 100% sure that a date has nothing to do with anything. Sure it's 10 years apart from each other but saying that green day will release an explosive album like Dookie and American idiot because it's 2014 is just plain rediculous.

Dookie - 1994

AI - 2004

how can you tell it isn't a coincidence when it happened only once? :mellow:

Every GD album can top AI. The right question would be: Anyone think Green Day will top American idiot Dookie with their next album?

Now that would be something.

They topped Dookie a handful of times already so no point.

They topped Dookie a handful of times already so no point.

Don't encourage him!

As for topping AI, I don't think that can happen. The perfect storm of political and social events mixed with GD's new image plus the public's interest in alternative rock was still high at that time so I don't think it can.

Now do they have the ability to make an album that is better than AI song for song? Taking AI out of context it is still near impossible to top. JOS, Holiday, BOBD, etc. have messages that aren't confined to the era. They're timeless songs.

GD still have plenty of ability and they could rip out an album that is at least worthy of being compared but what direction would they take their sound?

In summary,

no

Don't encourage him!

what fun is that :/

I don't think they'll top it, but I'd say their next album will make people think 'Hey, this is the same band that released American Idiot 10 years ago, and they still rock!".

Which is something that the trilogy didn't achieve, y'know.

I don't think it's too much of a stretch to suggest that much of the best music comes from misery of some description. Besides, what the hell else is there to speculate about at the moment? :lol:

As for the question, I think AI worked so well because it was a very well-executed and ambitious album promoted very well and released at the perfect time. The chances of everything lining up so well again are pretty slim, but that's not to rule out album quality rather than just success. I thought 21CB was pretty much the only thing they could have done to follow AI and they did as good a job with it as they possibly could have (and I'm surprised by how many AI lovers on here have so much negativity towards 21CB). I loved the concept of the trilogy - basic, loud, garish, straightforward and just generally a bit of fun rather than trying to live up to impossible expectations - and thought that could have been brilliant in itself, even if the public at large might not have 'got' it in the same way, but even taking them as a fun set of albums that weren't taking themselves too seriously there did seem to be a disappointing lack of quality for me. At the end of the day this must be the most uncertain point in GD's history as, together with all the personal circumstances surrounding the band of late, we really have absolutely no idea and no hints as to what future direction future material might take. The music industry is also drastically different now to ten years ago and regardless of the quality I'm not sure they'd ever have that kind of impact AI or even 21CB had again. Would love to see them on top of the world again though and I really hope they manage to create something impressive.

/waffling

I love reading all your responses about this sort of topic. It's really interesting. Hearing what people think. Keep em coming everyone. I agree about what most of you said. Some, not so much though

Archived