If Demolicious was released instead of the trilogy...

Jollyroger118

so Green Day, rewriting the history?

well Green day probably rewriting history, Warning era, then Shenanigans, same as,, Triology, and then Demolicious, now get ready for a Big Bang!!

this has me interested now. if they are rewriting history, id say american idiot = dookie in the sense that they were both major mainstream albums. i would pinpoint 21cb to nimrod as they both have different stuff that is our if the norm for green day, and they both also spawned big radio "ballads"( don't crucify me for that one) and finally ,as previously stated, trilogy to warning, demolicious to shenanigans.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of Springsteen's most critically acclaimed and commercially successful albums says hi.

Nebraska?

Demolicious is crap. Bad recording sound, bad production. It's called a demo for a reason. I don't even know why did they put the crappy 'stay the night' acoustic version on. Plus we would also miss lots of great trilogy songs that are not on Demolicious. The trilogy >>> Demolicious. I don't even know how can anyone who's not tone deaf think that Demolicious can be better than the Trilogy.

As a whole probably not but tracks such as 99 Revolutions, Missing You, Little Boy Named Train are arguably much better than the studio versions

this has me interested now. if they are rewriting history, id say american idiot = dookie in the sense that they were both major mainstream albums. i would pinpoint 21cb to nimrod as they both have different stuff that is our if the norm for green day, and they both also spawned big radio "ballads"( don't crucify me for that one) and finally ,as previously stated, trilogy to warning, demolicious to shenanigans.

yup, hopes are getting high, their next album would be a bang on face of every pop lover, punk's gonna rule again. seriously 21CBD could be easily compared to nimrod. the RADIO HITS. and then this TRIOLOGY era... then a bit like Shenanigans, Demolicious,,, wonder if they release something more massive than AI ... Fingers crossed!!!!!

and and and, i think this time lyrics would be more matured and production would be the rawest ..!!!

Demolicious is crap. Bad recording sound, bad

production. It's called a demo for a reason. I don't even know why did they put the crappy 'stay the night' acoustic version on. Plus we

would also miss lots of great trilogy songs that are not on Demolicious. The trilogy >>> Demolicious. I don't even know how can anyone who's not tone deaf think that Demolicious can be better than the Trilogy.

Agree!!

Demolicious is crap. Bad recording sound, bad production. It's called a demo for a reason. I don't even know why did they put the crappy 'stay the night' acoustic version on. Plus we would also miss lots of great trilogy songs that are not on Demolicious. The trilogy >>> Demolicious. I don't even know how can anyone who's not tone deaf think that Demolicious can be better than the Trilogy.

Agree!!

Trilogy love :)

Just because something sounds more perfected doesn't mean it has enough human element in it. Demos are usually kinda crap sounding but the trilogy sounds like bubble gum almost to me, just my opinion. Not that i hate the trilogy, but it just does nothing for me anymore.

At first I was like "what the fuck is this?" to the acoustic Stay the Night but I honestly love it now for some reason I'll ever understand. Maybe its just the intimacy and sloppiness of it.

I don't think anyone is praising the actual production ( or the lack of) of Demoliscious but the guitar tones and such are better on it than the final product

What if the album demolicious was released under another name, and only those songs were released? I honestly thought that's what this thread would be about.

The big bang your all looking forward to is probably be a concept album ?

21st Century breakdown did really well though didnt it?

High Hopes

Nope, I was referring to Nebraska.

Because energy and appropriate instrument sounds > glossy sound quality.

Demolicious sounds like shit. This is quite normal, because these are demo recordings and it also doesn't mean that you can't like it.

But you can't release music sounding like this, nobody who is not a fan would listen to it. If you want more distorted guitars, fine, but that's no excuse for sounding "bad".

Besides, everything that went "wrong" with the trilogy had nothing to do with the music itself, reviews weren't worse than those for 21st Century Breakdown.

Besides, everything that went "wrong" with the trilogy had nothing to do with the music itself, reviews weren't worse than those for 21st Century Breakdown.

The Trilogy's reviews weren't bad (more like average), but 21st CB's were better. Some even said it was better than American Idiot and gave it higher ratings. Not to mention it won the Best Rock Album Grammy. After it wasn't as successful that was toned down, for example a couple of years later Kerrang pretended they'd given it a lower rating than American Idiot when they'd really given it a higher rating, so it's somewhat forgotten now, but when it came out it actually got rave reviews that were quite a lot better than the Trilogy's.

Still I agree with everything else in your post though!

The big bang your all looking forward to is probably be a concept album ?

21st Century breakdown did really well though didnt it?

no not exactly a concept album, but an album with some mature lyrics and badass sound production, and arrangement!!

...It still wouldn't have done well.

I mean, Demolicious was good and all (read: State of Shock), but as it is, it's ultimately what it is: a collection of demos, and it really shows in places.

Guest wilhemunderpants

Nirvana did lol (half of Bleach was first recorded as demos used because they did re record the songs but Chad (the new drummer) didn't play the songs as good as the drummer on the demo had played them)

only 3 songs on bleach are from the session with dale

only 3 songs on bleach are from the session with dale

And 2 other with Chad was being used as demos originally so that's 5 songs for an album of 11 songs that's half or almost half of the album (I'm using the original release order not the Geffen re release which added Big Cheese and Downer)

the trilogy problem wasn't the music but the lack of promotion due to Billie's issues and a bad choice for a lead single (Oh Love)

the problem was most definitely still the music.

Also, Demolicious would have been better received amongst established fans as someone already said, but sales would not improve much. The general public still pretty soundly rejected these songs and the production is only a small part of what irked people.

Even with promotion, the chance that any song made waves in the mainstream was slim, let alone an entire album taking off. There just aren't many songs on the trilogy that are radio-ready.

the problem was most definitely still the music.

Also, Demolicious would have been better received amongst established fans as someone already said, but sales would not improve much. The general public still pretty soundly rejected these songs and the production is only a small part of what irked people.

Even with promotion, the chance that any song made waves in the mainstream was slim, let alone an entire album taking off. There just aren't many songs on the trilogy that are radio-ready.

I disagree. I think a big issue with the Trilogy is that they all seem like singles and don't really blend together well. The general public wasn't irked by the music; they just didn't know it existed. Rock in the US is also falling apart, so that is part of it too. Anyway, there's tons of Trilogy songs that are radio-friendly. Nuclear Family, Stay the Night, Carpe Diem, Let Yourself Go, Oh Love, Lazy Bones, Stray Heart, Missing You, 8th Avenue Serenade, 99 Revs

I disagree. I think a big issue with the Trilogy is that they all seem like singles and don't really blend together well. The general public wasn't irked by the music; they just didn't know it existed. Rock in the US is also falling apart, so that is part of it too. Anyway, there's tons of Trilogy songs that are radio-friendly. Nuclear Family, Stay the Night, Carpe Diem, Let Yourself Go, Oh Love, Lazy Bones, Stray Heart, Missing You, 8th Avenue Serenade, 99 Revs

I'm totally with you apart from the bit in bold.

I still don't understand how Missing You wasn't a huge hit...

Sure they don't blend well but that doesn't change that there is maybe a handful songs with a slim chance of making it to the Hot 100. I think Stay The Night and 99 Revs were the two obvious ones. Nuclear Family and Stray Heart I'll agree with. But the other songs you mentioned just aren't good enough to catch on IMO. Oh Love and Let Yourself Go had their chance and failed.

And when I say the general public I guess I mean critics, many of whom work for mainstream outlets, panning the trilogy. The criticism was not solely about production (in fact most wasn't).

I still don't understand how Missing You wasn't a huge hit...

1. Wasn't released as a single

2. A lot of the lyrics are cringe worthy

3. It's kind of soft to be a GD radio hit. Even slow songs like 21 Guns, BOBD, and WMUWSE had a darker edge to them, plus they were bonafide rock ballads. Missing You is just short and poppy.

Same reasoning could apply to Stray Heart now that I think of it.

I'm totally with you apart from the bit in bold.

I'm inclined to agree with him on the notion that rock music is very much in peril in the US, at least in the mainstream.

Ok ok, I will give you that the songs probably need a darker edge to really catch on. Maybe not necessarily a darker edge, but some sort of strong stance or emotion, which some of the ones I listed do not. However, I wouldn't say LTG and Oh Love "had a chance." Little to no promotion.

Archived