Billie Joe & Avicii, Thoughts?

kiarakoval

Evidently you've never seen Coldplay live.

Seen enough Chris Martin live on DVD's/TV to know that it's more entertaining to gauge your eyeball's out with chopsticks than watch a Coldplay concert.

Oh wait I forgot glow in the dark wristbands. There pretty cool right?

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're not there to see him, as Tom said, you're there for the ambience. You go, get drunk, and enjoy dancing with random strangers, listening to fun music, and seeing the crazy lightshow. That's it :P

Now THAT sounds like a giant fucking waste of money. Ha

You're not there to see him, as Tom said, you're there for the ambience. You go, get drunk, and enjoy dancing with random strangers, listening to fun music, and seeing the crazy lightshow. That's it :P

You just described a club. :P I feel like after all these explanations it seems like an even more collossal waste of money.

Yeah but it's more epic than a club. It's really hard for me to describe, but I would definitely go again and not consider it time or money wasted. This coming from a person who was extremely skeptical about going in the first place, for all the reasons set forth in this thread :)

I believe you. And I've been to enough concerts where I'm standing at the back and I'm 5 feet tall and can't see a damn thing, so it's probably the same thing, except that even if you were at the front there would be nothing to see :lol:

Does Avicii at least banter with the crowd? I feel like if you're not singing, there's no natural connection unless you talk a little bit.

Seen enough Chris Martin live on DVD's/TV to know that it's more entertaining to gauge your eyeball's out with chopsticks than watch a Coldplay concert.

Oh wait I forgot glow in the dark wristbands. There pretty cool right?

Yeah, gimmicks at arena shows are really terrible.

Chris Martin is very good at what he does.

It's just that what he's been doing for the last 8 or so years has been really wet and bland :P

It's just that what he's been doing for the last 8 or so years has been really wet and bland :P

I disagree because I think Viva La Vida was an excellent pop album and Mylo Xyloto had some excellent singles, but irrespective of what you think of their music, if you go to one of their shows it's impossible not to get into it. I went to see them because Jay-Z was supporting and was offered a free ticket, but was really pleasantly surprised at how good they were live, because Chris Martin is so energetic and bounces around the stage giving it everything. He's so endearingly uncool and when so much live performance is just posturing (cough 30 Seconds To Mars) it's enjoyable to watch someone who truly doesn't give a fuck when they're up there.

They last like a minute. The entire shows entertainment is dependant on a water gun, like glow in the dark bands are at a Coldplay show. Don't get me wrong some of there music is very good, heck I even own one of there albums. But Chris Martin is a BORING person.

A bit late but I finally managed to listen the preview of the song.

And I just hate it. It looks like a nightclub music, I don't even manage to understand the lyrics. BJ's voice is autotuned to death.... In fact that's what bothers me. He has a great voice, and I don't understand why it's that filtered.

Ok then plus I have to say that I don't really like Avicii (except Hey Brother), which is another reason why I really hate No Pleasing a Woman.

I didn't know it was meant to be a nightclub music, sorry :P
I think I simply dislike every other music genre Billie Joe tried - except Foreverly.

Nothing with the fact that BJ experimented a new genre. The rap/nightclub style (Lonely Island/Avicii) is just everything I dislike in music, actually. That's it !

A bit late but I finally managed to listen the preview of the song.

And I just hate it. It looks like a nightclub music, I don't even manage to understand the lyrics. BJ's voice is autotuned to death.... In fact that's what bothers me. He has a great voice, and I don't understand why it's that filtered.

Ok then plus I have to say that I don't really like Avicii (except Hey Brother), which is another reason why I really hate No Pleasing a Woman.

Billie likes using filters (and it's not auto tune) been using them since AI

Yes, but I found it less hearable in AI, more soft. Then it looks like it became more and more hearable in the other albums..

Yes, but I found it less hearable in AI, more soft. Then it looks like it became more and more hearable in the other albums..

Well yeah it's not noticeable in AI cause how loud the music is it's supposed to sound like it is on 21st the trilogy I dunno I say they forgot to lower the amount before hand

Everybody uses a "filter" of some sort, whether it be EQ, FFT, etc.

Everybody uses a "filter" of some sort, whether it be EQ, FFT, etc.

I know that...

A lot of these EDM/techno guys also make it a priority to craft a larger than life persona (See: Deadmau5 and Daft Punk). So staying back away from the crowd and not interacting makes sense, in a way.

I heard the song that was released and I did not like it at all. I am already not a fan of electronic/EDM type shit and that sounded horrible.

not quite sure it would work and wth is it with dance and rock all of a sudden gahhh i thought Green Day would stay clear gahhhhh!!!!

not quite sure it would work and wth is it with dance and rock all of a sudden gahhh i thought Green Day would stay clear gahhhhh!!!!

Different music styles have always mixed. If no one tried new things and combined different styles together from time to time music would be boring. Billie's got some time off right now so he might as well spend some of it taking opportunities to do new creative things when they come up. There's no harm done if not everyone happens to like the result every time really, still better than sitting around doing nothing and taking no chances.

^ true I guess I just find the idea of billie joe and aviccii the sound would be quite different, I mean I am up to listening to see how it would sound I wont not listen to it if it ever came to be I just I dont know have vague misgivings about it but I take your point about bands experimenting with different sounds and styles to keep going and thrive. :)

^ true I guess I just find the idea of billie joe and aviccii the sound would be quite different, I mean I am up to listening to see how it would sound I wont not listen to it if it ever came to be I just I dont know have vague misgivings about it but I take your point about bands experimenting with different sounds and styles to keep going and thrive. :)

go back a few pages. it happened, avicii played the song at a show.

What surprises me in all of this, except the ''musical'' level of this stuff, is that BJ does this kind of collaboration. I mean, he can do what he wants, but I was convinced he was the kind of guy to have the principle of refusing to do autontuned commercial shit.

Note that I'm not the kind of fan to hate eveything that Billie Joe does beside Green Day, cause, when you take Foreverly, it's clearly not commercial (imo). This album has a real spirit, the songs have a deep sense, and he said himself he always loved the Everly Brothers...

I'm talking about the music genre, here.

I just find that weird, coming from him, that he does rap (Lonely Island)/EDM featurings...

And a bit disapointing, too.

Plus, I'm sure he's the kind of guy to grump as a old punk when he hears a big commercial shit on the radio. :D

What surprises me in all of this, except the ''musical'' level of this stuff, is that BJ does this kind of collaboration. I mean, he can do what he wants, but I was convinced he was the kind of guy to have the principle of refusing to do autontuned commercial shit.

Note that I'm not the kind of fan to hate eveything that Billie Joe does beside Green Day, cause, when you take Foreverly, it's clearly not commercial (imo). This album has a real spirit, the songs have a deep sense, and he said himself he always loved the Everly Brothers...

I'm talking about the music genre, here.

I just find that weird, coming from him, that he does rap (Lonely Island)/EDM featurings...

And a bit disapointing, too.

Plus, I'm sure he's the kind of guy to grump as a old punk when he hears a big commercial shit on the radio. :D

Just because a song has a pop sound or uses vocal effects it doesn't automatically mean it's shit, I'm glad he's not closed minded enough to think that. And Green Day is pretty commercial to be fair. Also the Lonely Island isn't a real rap group, it's a comedy act, and I Run New York is a joke song poking fun at how a lot of rappers say they "run New York".

Archived