Billie Joe & Avicii, Thoughts?

kiarakoval

Those who said the song was great were ignored while those who called it shit were responded to by half the forum. That is a basic fact. And it is beyond pathetic to then talk about having different opinions/tastes.

They weren't though? The people who just said it was shit were ignored too, it's the ones making points like "Billie hates all pop music" and acting like he's done something terrible that are being challenged. I don't think anyone cares whether people like the actual song or not.

edit: didn't see Heather's post, she said it better.

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Instead of having a debate about pop music as a form, can we instead talk about how this track is not only a warmed-over re-hash of "Wake Me Up," but also really, really misogynist and gross? I can't even believe Billie agreed to sing this bullshit.

Like, what the fuck is going on in this song? It's the audio equivalent of those euphoric fedora bros on Reddit. And I know the vocals are all sped up, but Billie sounds like fucking Tom DeLonge.

I was willing to be open-minded about this collaboration, but the preview realized all my worst fears about it. Just an abysmal failure in all respects. Pretty disheartening!

The lyrics are horrific...it's gross to hear Billie singing such sexist lyrics. But hey as I was told yesterday I'm in the minority not liking this so I guess I am supposed to shut up and fuck off.

I hope we can all agree that even with this shitty quality this sounds a-fucking-much better than all those other shitty pop/dance songs nowadays. Probably because Billie runs New York, he can do anything.

My opinion? I don't like the song, and I'm never listening to it again. I think the Lonely Island collab was much better, that one I actually enjoy listening to

Just want to point out anyone is free to say they like or dislike the song, it's just if you start inferring things about other people for liking/disliking it or Billie for doing it then people might take issue with that or disagree. Bring on all opinions about the song itself.

My opinion? I don't like the song, and I'm never listening to it again. I think the Lonely Island collab was much better, that one I actually enjoy listening to

You've gotta listen to the proper version when it comes out, come on :P

the Trilogy is by and large a disappointing pile of wank. It's disappointing because I expect a band that's been as experienced and successful as Green Day has been to understand the meaning of "quality control."

People aren't allowed to talk shit about this song, but it's okay to slam the trilogy?

You've gotta listen to the proper version when it comes out, come on :P

Why, this one isn't "proper"? Will the actual release not have sped up vocals and whatnot?

Why, this one isn't "proper"? Will the actual release not have sped up vocals and whatnot?

I don't think it's the complete song, plus the quality is obviously bad. I don't know if anything else about it will be changed but I guess it could be.

People aren't allowed to talk shit about this song, but it's okay to slam the trilogy?

Let's not start a discussion about the trilogy here

Exactly when did I say that?

Actually, you didn't :P Nevermind. Forgive my misread, I'm overloaded with work right now and I'm trying to scroll through everything quickly so I can get out of here and grab lunch

The lyrics are horrific...it's gross to hear Billie singing such sexist lyrics. But hey as I was told yesterday I'm in the minority not liking this so I guess I am supposed to shut up and fuck off.

Sexist? How so?

Seriously, not again.

Sexist? How so?

"No Pleasing a Woman"

Excuses, excuses! I expect better from a GDA staff member :P

Actually, I haven't received a login to edit GDA yet, so I still have a few days to make a fool of myself :P

Seriously, not again.

"No Pleasing a Woman"

So because it's about a woman it's sexist? This is basically the male version of every Kelly Clarkson song ever made.

So because it's about a woman it's sexist? This is basically the male version of every Kelly Clarkson song ever made.

there's no such thing as sexism towards men. That's the #1 rule of feminism. Obviously you still haven't learned anything. Check your privilege

Oh good lord Billie you have to stop lending your vocals to other projects because apparently it means the world is about to implode

Seriously though It's pathetic when people drag up a 'quote' by Billie from some off the record article from like 1994 in order to prove that the 'old Billie' would hate this and that Green Day have totally chaaaaaanged, man. Well yeah, because they've been around for over 20 years.

The song isn't my actual genre but I can still turn around and admit that yeah it's catchy like many other songs in its genre. Anyone expecting to take away some profound message from it is barking up the wrong tree entirely. It's music to play in a club or in a car and that's all, and that's okay. And it's okay for Billie to decide to sing on something like that because it's seriously not a big deal.

It's wank and I'll never listen to it again so that probably means it's gonna go to number 1.

Also if Billie wrote those lyrics then yikes.

Don't really like it based on the shitty quality preview. I will give it a proper chance when the studio version is available though.

It's not an official release, so the quality is going to be poor.

As for the lyrics, this genre is known for its ability to make you dance and feel a certain general emotion while on the dance floor, not for its ability to make you sit down and think deep thoughts on life. The lyrics are appropriate to the genre.

idk, i understand that edm does this.... i can only get into certain electronic music artists. idk.. hopefully there would be a cleaner version so i can judge later.

I rock out to anti-men songs far too often myself to get mad at Billie for saying it's frustrating to "try to please a woman." I can't go so far as to call it sexist because women hate men when they're being shitty and men can hate women for being shitty and we can all be shitty together and resent each other regardless of gender.

I rock out to anti-men songs far too often myself to get mad at Billie for saying it's frustrating to "try to please a woman." I can't go so far as to call it sexist because women hate men when they're being shitty and men can hate women for being shitty and we can all be shitty together and resent each other regardless of gender.

Why don't we talk more? Your opinions are always fuckin amazing :)

That's funny, because I turned off "I run NY" after 2 minutes and have never even had the slightest desire to ever listen to it again. I have already listened to this little preview over 50 times. Haha

That was beautiful :)

That's funny, because I turned off "I run NY" after 2 minutes and have never even had the slightest desire to ever listen to it again. I have already listened to this little preview over 50 times. Haha

Same. It's really catchy in such an eerie way. I love the tone of the song.

Archived